Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to USMC_944lover Send a message via Skype™ to USMC_944lover
Question 86 944 Starter Issue

I had the batter checked (98%), and the starter passed all of the tests. I cannot figure out why my car will not start. in the past it used to be the starter that had issues and i would replace it and it worked fine. But now it wont even kick, all i can hear is the fuel pump turning. Any ideas? I will check the fuses tomorrow morning as that i just found out it wasnt the starter. Thanks guys!
How hard is it to change a ignition? looks like it would be hard.

"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving."
-Ulysses S Grant
Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
it's a PITA, remove the steering wheel, remove the gauges, carefully remove the plug from the back of the ignition switch, then figure out how to get a flat screwdriver behind the switch assembly to pull the two screws. The outside one is fairly easy, the inside one (next to the steering column is a biotch). I just changed mine today.

Good Luck
Semper Fi
Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello, A No Start could be the Ignition Switch Module forward of the key. I'm old, so I had to remove the steering wheel, trim, gage surround, and gages just to see where the module was located and how to remove it. The whole Ignition Assembly is held onto the Steering shaft by two halves that were bolted together with two torque bolts that the heads are sheared off from the bottom. If you have to remove the whole assembly. Use a Dremel Tool cut off wheel to cut a slot across the top (end) of the bolts and turn them out with a stubby screw driver. I got the inspection mirror out and looked at the back side of the electrical switch module. There is a plug with all the wires that has to be pulled off the module, got that pulled (careful you don't pull out the wires) and there are two screws holding the module to the ignition assembly. Long story short. I broke off the handle on my shortest stubby screw driver, used a SHORT long nose vise grip and was able to turn out the screw next to the steering shaft. The other screw was a snap. I plugged in the new ignition module, used a cross point screw driver to turn to start and WOW the engine started. Installed the module to the ignition assembly. While the gage cluster was out I replaced all the light bulbs. The gage cluster trim has two hidden screws, one above and one below the trip reset button at the vent edge. I hope this helps if you have to use it. The link below gives the module wire lay out for the plug. The second link will show what the Ignition Assembly looks like.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-24.htm

nasaforums.com • View topic - Removed steering lock and ignition today - pics included

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandad#3; 09-20-2010 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: add
Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to USMC_944lover Send a message via Skype™ to USMC_944lover
ok, so i have a big question. The starter itself is good. i just had it tested and didnt believe them and crossed the ground and hot and it started to turn. so it does work. (sorry autozone). No faith. so when I turn the key in the car i hear the fuel pump activating. Am I wrong to think that it couold be something else? I would think that if the ignition switch is bad then the fuel pump wouldnt start would it? When i turn the key there is no kick whatsoever to the selinoid. I would just really hate to tear it all apart and have nothing to show for it. I did check the ignition relay and seemed fine. I even switched it with another relay that is the exact same and nothing happened. I didnt see a fuse for the ignition, is there one? Any extra info would be great. thanks

"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving."
-Ulysses S Grant
Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
928 , 944 , ignition , start , starter