Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Noob Water Pump Question

I am going to look at a 1986 NA this week with 65K on the clock. The current owner said he had the timing belts changed recently but not the water pump because his mechanic said "it looked fine".

With out any records to show a previous water pump replacement I am going to assume its the original and MUST be changed now.

Am I correct here, and why would anyone not do the WP at the same time at that mileage?

Suspicious, cheap, or not a good mechanic?

thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Replacing the waterpump is much more work than just replacing a belt. I agree that it makes sense to do it while you're doing the belts but a pump will last much longer than the belts so just checking on it and finding that it's ok and doing only the belts is no big deal. If you have no record of when it was last replaced, it's good insurance to just do it yourself.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Nice '65 Barracuda!

If you assume the waterpump is original-----------replace it.

If the car does not have the "updated" water pump with the 46mm roller tensioning roller and chrome belt guide it should be changed.

The updated WP (waterpump) should be used because the later pumps used the turbo WP bearing that is better. The belt guard and taller roller were also improvements.

If your car shows any rust on bolts or nuts, get a WP bolt kit at the same time. These bolts are very easy to snap. I will give you a link on how to drill out a WP bolt.
http://tech.rennlist.com/924_944/brokenwaterpumpBolts.PDF

Have a 90 degree snap ring plier in your tool box. The big "C" ring opening is put at the 12 oclock position when reinstalling.

You should get a flywheel lock.

Use Permatex Hylomar gasket sealer on the WP gasket.

You will need to tension the belts.

GL
John
Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As above, with a couple of thoughts.

You really can't tell if the WP is good just by looking - you've gotta pull the cam belt off and actually feel the bearing to check it, and since you're going that far, in most cases you may as well replace it, or at least have a fresh WP to put in in case you find the bearing is no good.

I seem to recall that the tech manual calls for a locking compound on the WP bolts, but I've always used anti-seize so I know the suckers will come out without breaking next time I go in. I've not had leaks (or broken bolts) yet, and I've done a few of these. I second the Hylomar tip, but I've always put the gaskets on dry. The Hylomar will certainly help when it's time to take the WP off, though.

HTH
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I hope to see the car this week and find out the story on this.
I think that no matter what the previous owner says I will at least inspect the timing belt and try get familiar with the car before I have to.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Just wanted to close this thread out. I looked at the car and the guy selling it was a super nice guy, but not a Porsche guy so he had no idea what the car was worth. He was a little pissed that his mechanic didn't even ask him about the water pump, he just did the belts and buttoned it up. Not a Porsche mechanic.

Long story short it was a project to say the least. Every body panel had some kind or ding/scratch, dent (including headlight lids) Lot's of little broken plastic bits in the interior, cracked windsheild$$, missing top of back seat, odometer broken, AC warm, etc etc.

My favorite part was the 2inch receiver hitch on the back.
I swear that this car looked like it was used to pull a coffee cart around NYC.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

With the 2 inch receiver hitch, did he have the mini teardrop trailer???
OOOOOOhhhhhhh I gonna do it

John
Old 10-23-2010, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
That, is cool. I need that for my barracuda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_AZ View Post
With the 2 inch receiver hitch, did he have the mini teardrop trailer???
OOOOOOhhhhhhh I gonna do it

John
Old 10-24-2010, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
All Spooled Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoyle View Post
his mechanic said "it looked fine".

Suspicious, cheap, or not a good mechanic?

Not a good mechanic! If he said it "felt" fine, that would have told a whole different story. I would at least loosen the belt and check it, if buy car.

P.S. - Out of all of the things that you could tow with a Porsche, those tear-drop campers would probably look the best going down the road behind it! I'm serious.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild man View Post
P.S. - Out of all of the things that you could tow with a Porsche, those tear-drop campers would probably look the best going down the road behind it! I'm serious.
Anything looks great with a teardrop behind it; they're too cool.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
All Spooled Up

They sure are. It almost makes me want to go out and get one!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

wild man,

when did you move to the UK???

Hello - I'm new - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Cheers

John
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
I'd replace it. The job really isn't that hard if you have the right tools. Just a little time consuming.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: