Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Recently purchased, recently deceased 944 N/A

I bought an 87 N/A 944 a few months ago with 84000 miles on it for $3500. It looked like it was in great shape. I drove it for about a week and a half, and one day on my way to school the engine was at about 4000-4500 rpms in 2nd gear and KaBOOOM! The engine literally exploded! The engine blew up with such force that it blew a hole the size of a fist right through the bottom of the block through the oil pan.

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this? There were no warning signs except for a little white smoke at start up. No engine knock, nothing like that... just out of the blue. I took it to my mechanic (who specializes in Porsches), which is who I purchased it from, and he said that he has know idea how it could have happened, he says that these engines are "bulletproof" and is amazed that it self destructed out of the blue like that; he thinks that one of the connecting rods must have just failed. I didn't abuse it... i only had it a week and a half! I took it up a local hill, Giants Diapair, where there is a hill climb race the 2nd day I had it so I could really take it for a test spin. I shifted it a couple hundred rpms before red line, but that was it. It ran great after that but about a week later is when it exploded. Mearly that couldn't have caused the engine to explode. I need the input of the experienced members of this board!

P.S. Needless to say i'm now in the market for a 2.5L 944 short block and oil pan. (maybe even a 2.5L long block) Your input is greatly appericated! If you'd like to mail me personally: superheady@adelphia.net
Old 01-19-2002, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

did you have oil it? was it running hot?
Old 01-19-2002, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nope... the oil was fresh. Just changed when it was purchased. And it was at normal running temp.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The only reason I can think of why the bottom of your engine will explode is if there was a whole in one of the cylinders. While driving a lot of gasoline reached the only at the bottom of the engine. The whole will also get bigger in the mean while, especially when you drive in the almost red zone. And then at one time the gasoline will explode.
Nothing you could have done to prevent this, except taking the engine apart.

I don't say this is whay happened. It is only my oppinion.

iepie944
Old 01-19-2002, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Maybe the engine hydro locked some time ago and bent a rod slightly.. after that it was just a question of time before dissaster came.

//Magnus

Last edited by Magnus_944; 01-19-2002 at 01:52 PM..
Old 01-19-2002, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

being that u only had it for a couple of weeks, who is paying for the repairs?
Old 01-19-2002, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Question

question specializes in porsches??? 84000 miles 3500.00 bucks? hummmmm! something does'nt sound right?????
Old 01-19-2002, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i think if you had a hole in the piston ,you would of had a freaked out oil pressure gauge???? maybe?
Old 01-19-2002, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Ummmm make that echanic shmoo fix it..
Old 01-19-2002, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Metal fatigue!

Heat -cool - heat - cool cycles! Causes the metal to expand and contract, it may have finally hit its limit.

Kevin
PCM
www.perfectchoicemotorsports.com
Old 01-20-2002, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that. I can relate with any consternation as it's hard to tell the true condition of an older car when we buy it. I personally recently just got an '86 944 for $4k and sometimes wonder if something is lurking around the corner for me. But buying an older car is typically understand as an as-is condition, so we're stuck with the finances of repairs even if it's hours after the purchase.

Hope your car gets up-and-running soon! Good luck!
Old 01-20-2002, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Ka=Boom

My 2 cents? The white smoke at start up is a clue. Most likely burning antifreeze from a failed head gasket or cracked head. If this is true, the water in a cylinder might have put enough stress on the rod to cause a failure. Those fragments then blew out the bottom??

Disassembly will yeild more clues.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I might be able to get you a shortblock or an long block out of 924S 1987 with 53K miles on it. I am located in mass. so you would need to ship.

Let me know and we can talk price.

Eric
Eric.Lynch@itt.com
Old 01-21-2002, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: