Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

thought redline only makes half-cage ... not a harness bar (like brey krouse or weltmeister)

and yes, first 200 pounds are easy to loose, I'm WELL beyond that point
Old 11-25-2010, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

this is what i am referring to and it is NOT a roll bar - it is only a harness bar - it has none of the vertical load carrying design requirements of a roll bar - regardless of what the site says, the rules require the minimum 3/16" thick steel landing pads - also, the seat belt mounting points are not designed to withstand vertical force - they rip right out when loaded vertically by the force of a roll - they are only designed to withstand the force of a body being thrust forward, not a car falling on them - i'm not sure if it is DOM or ERW tubing either, but DOM is required and ERW is prohibited:

SafeguardPage

he does sell cages though:

http://redlinerennsport.homestead.com/CagePage.html

Last edited by flash968; 11-25-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Old 11-25-2010, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Hi Flash968,
i have been searching for such a kit for my 2 nos 968 cars
Do u sell these?
drop me an email on j.savvas46@gmail.com
Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Porsche 944S Club Sport

Garage
Send a message via AIM to guru944
Flash968, Your SC setup looks Great.
What boost levels are you maxing out at and what is your flow in CFM at that point?
Did you upgrade your Injectors?
Planing to do forced induction on my 16V, and looking for +300Hp.
Thank you in advance.
http://www.blackbirdmotorsports.com, 944/951/968 & 911 Performance Solutions.
Thank you Lord, for your Loving Kindness, Tender Mercy, and Grace. Only You are Faithful.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

since boost on a centrifugal supercharger is a function of in and out volumes, if i said i was making "x" pounds, it is only relative to my kit, but this kit on this car is making about 5lbs - max boost is deliberately limited so as to push the curve down lower into the rev band for midrange improvement - the goal was not upper end

i haven't calculated the CFM - it wasn't germane to the project

OEM injectors - that was also a design requirement

this kit will not cross over to any other car - sorry
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
re: my 'brilliant' post, i should have elaborated.

the way you set up and designed your s/c for your 968 is an ideal solution i'd want for my 8v if it was available. For modifications of over 'X' amount of power (i think its a 20% < power increase...?) they require comparitive upgrades in the suspension and brakes as well and have to be oversigned by an engineering authority. the car then wears a plate in the engine bay stating what mods the car is approved for. this includes things like fixed bucket seats (in a 2 door car), coilovers, lowering the suspension beyond 10cm ride height, and loads more.

My ideal s/c kit would a low boost bolt on affair that i could take to a dyno and tune, uprate the suspension as i see fit, chuck in some more track orientated pads and fluid and still be legal.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

i completely agree with the concept of requiring suspension and brake upgrades at a certain point - it may seem overbearing, but it is obviously wise

that is exactly why the limits were set as they are - i am over the 20% mark, but it is a reasonable increase, and very progressive, unlike a turbo which is much more abrubpt, so the risk is minimized - even so, i include a document in the 40 page instruction manual that gets sent out with the kit that is a warning to people about such power increases, and the need to establish a safe car first
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

am buying a stage 1 supercharger from speed force racing for the 85 944, it will run at 6lbs for round 180 bhp. was promised 3 weeks delivery, so far 8 weeks and only have 1/2 the kit. nice bloke turbotim but no end to his lies and broken promises.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
That's SpeedForce for you....worked on a friends 951 a couple of weeks ago, SpeedForce did the suspension, exhaust and wastegate upgrades for him....and mounted the wastegate solely by the inlet and exhaust pipes. just flat left the wastegate mount off the car, because they couldn't get it to line up correctly.

I got a factory WG mounting bracket, and just turned it around from the factory installed position, and everything lined up beautifully.

NOT impressed with other things I saw that SpeedForce did, like routing the wires for the wideband O2 sensor right across the crossover pipe (burned the protective cover off the wires), didn't relocate the hanger for the rear of the exhaust (the one between the cat and the muffler), so the entire exhaust was held in place by the muffler hangers and the front exhaust mount, and many other things.
Semper Fi
Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
My only stipulation is that it must be Porsche. While the lore of big V8 power is appealing, if I wanted a Chevy I would buy a Corvette.
NINE TWENTY EIGHT
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Eric

Garage
I'm currently preparing my own installation in an S2 using a Rotrex, 951 intercooler, 951 injectors, MAF and rewrite of the Motronic maps, AFM/MAF translator function, constants, etc. Total cost is estimated at around $5000. (Half of that is the Rotrex).

I'll post findings once I complete procurement and installation.

I chose this path as there are no other kits for the S2 that were 100% suitable.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Flash, I'm in O.C. too. Would love to come by and take a look at your 968. Also, why don't i ever see you at any PCA events? :-)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

i have never been a fan of PCA. most of the guys there are way too stuffy for me. generally they are all about show, and not the go. i have no interest in concourse or wash and shine, and am all about engineering improvements. that doesn't fit well with the PCA mantra. no worries. frankly i never liked porsches to begin with, and only the 968 got me at all interested in the marque. later i finally broke down and bought a fully loaded custom order 991 targa GTS, but not because of, and frankly in spite of it being a porsche. PCA guys would not respond well to that either.

as for seeing the car, i sold it about 2 years ago. it's still in the L.A. area and is running strong, as are the other 60+ kits i sold. however, i am no longer in the O.C. - i moved to ireland about 6 months ago, and have no plans to return.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
i have never been a fan of PCA. most of the guys there are way too stuffy for me. generally they are all about show, and not the go.
+10000
can't stand those "air-heads".

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
however, i am no longer in the O.C. - i moved to ireland about 6 months ago, and have no plans to return.
wow!
enjoy!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: