Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Pelican Parts Technical BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   super charging a 944s2 (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/576408-super-charging-944s2.html)

benzboy 11-21-2010 02:32 PM

super charging a 944s2

hey everybody, has anyone here ever supercharged there 944s2. i have a 1990 944s2 with a chip and k+n airfilter. would like to increase hp. would love to here about any s2's being supercharged. tony

2005 m'b c230 sports sedan
1997 vw jetta
1990 944s2
1985 911

Vicious 11-21-2010 05:30 PM

SFR has precisely what your looking for, check them out

944S2 Supercharger System

J1NX3D 11-21-2010 08:25 PM

lots of people talk about it, some people start it, very few finish it.

nzporsche944s2 11-22-2010 11:45 AM

^ +1 @ mAd924

And then there are others that just dream about (myself included)

flash968 11-22-2010 12:40 PM

that is exactly how i got into designing the kit for the 968 - nobody made one that actually worked, and certainly not that was truly "bolt on" and fully tuned - so, i did it myself - there is now a batch of them out there now, all running strong - about 300bhp and 285 ft/lbs - pump gas - CARB pending

just about to do a second batch too, now that we have well over 20k miles on them and not even a belt adjustment needed

i haven't looked into fitting it for the S2, but here it is:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1290458371.jpg

Rudeboy42 11-22-2010 12:51 PM

^ That's badass. If I ever buy a 968 I'm calling you.

nzporsche944s2 11-22-2010 02:03 PM

flash968 - how did the cost of your setup compare with the SFR option (approx USD$6k)?

flash968 11-22-2010 02:27 PM

i wasn't going to talk about stuff like that here, but since you ask, it sells for $4295 - it is complete with every nut, bolt, hose, clamp, airbox and everything, as well as the chip that provides the full tuning - as we all know, the tuning is the key to any such system

you get to keep your air conditioning, power steering, and all that too - the system is transparent in operation, and truly daily driver reliable

they are scattered all over the country now, so you can probably see one for yourself without a lot of trouble

sasquatch 11-22-2010 03:34 PM

Now if you could do one for the NA 944 (1987) that retains the AC and PS, I would be in.

flash968 11-22-2010 05:03 PM

lol - i can do anything - i'm just not a 944 guy, so the motivation is not really there

when you are talking about doing something like this though, it's all about volume - with the 968, i wanted it for myself, and all that was out there were halfway kits - i polled a bunch of the 968 guys, and enough wanted such a thing, that it justified doing it not only for myself, but planning for production - they paid in advance, even before it was done being tested

i don't have a 944, so i can't do that the same way - to paint the picture of how it would have to go though, i would need a very clean car to work on (i don't like getting greasy on a dirty car), with a reasonably fresh motor (never ever apply forced induction to high mileage engine) - the car would need to stay here for about 2-3 months while it got done - also, it would need to be paid for in advance, as i really am not in the business of doing this, and it is really just a hobby

but, as there are not likely to be at least 10 guys who are ready to pony up $4k plus to get this done, i don't see it happening

further, the output numbers for a 944 kit would only be about 200hp and about 215ft/lb - you'd probably be better off sticking in a bone stock 968 engine

an S2 though would be about 270hp and 265ft/lb, so might be worth it, though still a 968 engine with a chip and such would be close

J1NX3D 11-22-2010 08:46 PM

there's the crux of it, while you can s/c an 8v, there's better engines available that require less bespoke work to make them a reality.

i do like my 944 for what it is and for giggles my ideal setup for my car would be a fresh 8v with dry sump and s/c but its not worth the effort when i could just do an s2 or 968 transplant. or buy a turbo, s2 or 968!

sasquatch 11-23-2010 05:13 AM

You guys are right. My thoughts is to find a worn out, possibly wrecked 951 as a donor car. Pull the motor, spend the time and $$ required to build a good solid 300 reliable HP motor and transplant that along with the brakes into my 87.

I cant sell my 944 because I have had it for so many years, and invested so much into the suspension, interior and paint for what I could sell it for. I even have an S2 transmission already installed. So it is prime for some HP now.

Not bad for 24 years and 190,000 reliable, hard miles.

http://sasquatch.smugmug.com/Other/P...39_tEAkJ-M.jpg

ernie9944 11-23-2010 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=sasquatch;5688618]You guys are right. My thoughts is to find a worn out, possibly wrecked 951 as a donor car. Pull the motor, spend the time and $$ required to build a good solid 300 reliable HP motor and transplant that along with the brakes into my 87.

I cant sell my 944 because I have had it for so many years, and invested so much into the suspension, interior and paint for what I could sell it for. I even have an S2 transmission already installed. So it is prime for some HP now.

Not bad for 24 years and 190,000 reliable, hard miles.
____This is one of the nicest 944 I've seen in a long time & maybe just maybe you could take some advices from a old fart here,never mind the turbo/SC/and this that transplant leave it as it is.If the motor ever give up on you, then maybe look for a 2.7 out of an 89 this way it won't cost you your eyes ball & you can refresh the brakes & suspension & have a nice driver for quite a number of years,I know HP can be addictive but again with such a nice car as yours I will live it alone.____Same goes for you__ benzboy__unless you want to go all out and turn it in a S3 (968 motor) leave it alone ,suspension upgrade to M030 if you haven't got them -nice set of wheels - a short shifter-the rigth size tires & different exhaust will do wonder on your car & I bet you any money it won't cost you 5 to $6,ooo and after doing what I mention above you migth find out that trying to reach the car limit will be a handful .Having been around 944 for a while I've learn that if you don't balance things rigth you migth ruin a perfectly good car this is reality not fiction.:D

flash968 11-23-2010 09:24 AM

yup - you have to consider the realities of the limitations of the car and the wallet

upgrading power is a slippery slope, because it isn't just the engine to consider, but also the suspension and brakes and chassis structure so as to handle that power

anything can be done, but it's all about time and dollars, and whether or not it's worth it to you in the end

sasquatch 11-23-2010 12:25 PM

Thanks for the comments on my car. I love her.

But with my list of upgrades that I have already done over the last 15 years, all that is lacking is more power.

-S2 transmission with a custom (I am a machinist and engineer) spherical ball bearing short shift kit.
-Coil over Koni suspension with Hyperpro springs, lowered close to 2"
-M030 sway bars with adjustable drop links.
-Urethane bushings.
-Headers and full 2.5" exhaust, no cat.
-17" Cup 2 wheels

I have a new dash ready to install and the rest of the interior is near perfect.

A buddy put a 968 motor in his 924S and said he would do it again in a heart beat.

Mine has 190k on it though, I am sure it is getting tired. Rear main is starting to leak pretty badly and will need to be addressed soon. So the temptation is to pull the motor to get at the clutch and just replace the whole motor with something else. My only stipulation is that it must be Porsche. While the lore of big V8 power is appealing, if I wanted a Chevy I would buy a Corvette.

flash968 11-23-2010 12:39 PM

well, you're still a ways off from being set up for a lot of power

the rear suspension will probably need to be stiffened up to handle the increased speeds you'll be driving and to manage the squat from the torque

you'll need more brakes too for sure

the chassis also needs to be reinforced, particularly the castor block mounting points - strut towers wouldn't hurt either

can all be done - time and money

sasquatch 11-23-2010 01:17 PM

Suspension is just a simple spring change for me (Coilovers). I am already much stiffer than stock, no squat what-so-ever. No body roll in hard cornering either (springs + sway bars).

Brakes, yes. That is one of the reasons I thought about buying a whole 951 roller. Use what I need, sell the rest.

Castor blocks and strut towers can wait. If I was going to track it, absolutely. But this will be a street driven car. I just am tired of having to work at it to pass someone in the mountains. Been riding motorcycles for too many years I guess.

flash968 11-23-2010 01:52 PM

i saw that you had coils on the front, but not that you had them on the rear - that helps, so yes, a spring change would likely be in order - i have torsion bar delete and 500# springs in the rear and the rear still squats when i nail it - of course i have 300 ft/lbs of torque too - nice ride though

i disagree about the bracing though - the lower brace makes a HUGE difference, even on the street - you wouldn't believe it until you drove a car with one - the strut brace helps too, but not nearly as much as the lower one - the mounting points for the castor blocks shift a LOT under load - the brace stops that - it makes the car feel new and very solid, and keeps the suspension where it should be, which with more power, is very important as it helps keep you out of trouble at the edge

sasquatch 11-23-2010 02:09 PM

I guess I will have to look at my lower mounts and see what kind of bracing I can fabricate. I have a full machine shop, welding, and sheet metal equipment here in my shop. Makes it quite a bit easier on the wallet to do mods.

Who builds one that I can see a photo of to know what I am looking at?

J1NX3D 11-23-2010 08:22 PM

i'm not sure if i'm thinking of the same thing, but this is what i've interpreted flash968 to mean

RS BARN: Performance Parts & Engineering
http://www.rsbarn.com/images/Prod_96...sBrace_800.jpg

Porsche Transaxle Deutsch Nine International GmbH: O-Structure Under Chassis Brace Kit
http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/graph...-brace-01M.jpg

Porsche 924, 944, Turbo, Lower Front Cross Brace, R-1524, r1524, bkr1524
[img]http://www.*****************.com/v/vspfiles/photos/bk_r1524-2.jpg[/img]

same brace, different vendor
Porsche 944 Chassis Upgrades, Strut Braces & Harness Guide Bars Plus Fire Extinguisher Mount
http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/5115_large.jpg