Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to overkill
What is the right way to lift the car....

I read the haynes manual and it said to lift the car from the side and in the middle. How would I lift the front or back end of the car?
Old 01-23-2002, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are jack points just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels.....
Old 01-23-2002, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
newb.

you can jack on the crossmember (DO NOT catch the oilpan with the jack) or the lowest point on the transaxle to lift front or rear, respectively.

I don't believe jacking the car from the corners is good for the chassis (twist)

r gruppe #436
zuffenhaus: products|eurowerks
Old 01-23-2002, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't jack it by the transaxle, you'll overstress the rubber mounts. The front crossmember seems fine, but it's so low to the ground, i've never been able to get a jack under it.

The factory says you can jack each side right in the center of the rocker panel. You'll notice a small, diamond stamped on the rocker panel. It's specifically there to mark the side jacking point. Look directly under there, and find a frame piece to put a jack under.

Jacking at the corners isn't so bad, the chassis on the 944's is unbelievably stiff, and it doesn't seem to care. You're not tweaking the chassis any more than you would in the middle of a hard corner.

Mike
Old 01-23-2002, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to adrial Send a message via AIM to adrial
Regarding the stifness of the 944 chassis...Why is it that when I have the car on jack stands, the drivers side door doesn't really close right? It seemed to hang low on the latch side and have to be lifted a good bit before it would close.

All bolts, etc are tight...door closes fine otherwise. Is the 944 chasis really NOT all that stiff??
Old 01-23-2002, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It could be something wrong with your chassis.

In my experience my doors close exactly the same no matter how unevenly i jack up the chassis. It's BY FAR the stiffest chassised car i have ever worked on.

Mike
Old 01-23-2002, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to adrial Send a message via AIM to adrial
No I think something's wrong with YOUR chassis!

Stop worrying me, punk! The carfax comes up clean, the car was repainted although everybody that has looked at the car says its perfect...one of the nicest. This includes my mech, the mech who did the PPI and ME!

The passanger door closes fine..I'm putting my money on a need for adjustment on the driver side door..So is there anything to adjust?

thanks,
Adrial
Old 01-23-2002, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
newb.

these cars are getting OLD the chassis won't be stiff forever.
plus if they were as stiff as all you guys seem to think, they wouldn't benefit from the addition of strut-tower braces.
There IS flex in the front of the 944. I seriously doubt you'll match LIFTING the weight of the car by the front corner, by loading the suspension on the track, but that my be just my opinion.

and how are you going to over stress the rubber mount on the transaxle? How are you going to overstress a mount on top of the trans by lifting the trans into it?

r gruppe #436
zuffenhaus: products|eurowerks

Last edited by eimkeith; 01-24-2002 at 08:09 AM..
Old 01-24-2002, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
Quote:
Originally posted by adrial
Regarding the stifness of the 944 chassis...Why is it that when I have the car on jack stands, the drivers side door doesn't really close right? It seemed to hang low on the latch side and have to be lifted a good bit before it would close.

All bolts, etc are tight...door closes fine otherwise. Is the 944 chasis really NOT all that stiff??

My car does the same thing.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Chasis Flex

I dunno, my 84 (which I've abused --err, driven for the last 60k+) has the passanger side door stick a bit when jacked up from the right front. Car's now at 156k+ and counting, fast... My turbo which I've only put about 3k miles on (now at 178+k) doesn't seem to flex the tiniest bit from any direction. There's a small dent on the passanger side chasis rail on the 84, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

The turbo feels very tight to me, the 44 flexes a bit pulling up on a ramp only on one side, or when entering a very steep drive-way. Not so with the turbo. I feel like the later model cars (after the 85.5 change) are a bit stiffer, but Keith is right, flex will only increase as the car gets older. I would think that adding a (welded in) cage, and/or a strut tower brace before modifying the suspension would minimize the chasis getting looser over the years, which my 944 didn't recieve.
Ahmet
Old 01-24-2002, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: