Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

951 Mechanic

Ok I had a few questions for you very knowledgeable guys! I recently purchased a 951 and now after buying the car does the owner decide to be upfront about some issues. Issues that he said were fine but now "oh hey by the way" after the fact, some revealing news is shown. The timing belt on the car is 4 years old and about 14K mileage (receipt to prove that part). But only now does he tell me that the belt was never tensioned again has never seen the need - he has owned it and others for many many years etc.... Anyhow my next question is how much troubled water am I in here since I replaced my daily driver with the 951, also does anyone know a reputable mechanic in the Nashville, Tennessee area that can do a belt replace? I would rather not scour craigslist to have someone come out and guess.

Thanks Guys!!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
If you follow the word in the factory manual, it should be re-tensioned at 2k, 15k, 30k and replaced at 45k miles. Personally i replace the belt between 30-35k miles, but then again i do my own work so labor is cheap. Waterpump and rollers should be done every other belt job or sooner if need be.

At 4 years of age most will tell you its time to change the belt anyhow, 3 years is generally the number thrown around here. Personally i think 3 years is a bit excessive, but it really depends on a few things like how much oil your front end is leaking and how much is soaking the belt.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

hahaha I just called Porsche of Nashville and they quoted me 1600 for a retention and 2600 for a new timing belt install
Old 12-02-2010, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

holy %$#!

$1600 for a retension?????

WOW!

Go find a boutique Porsche shop somewhere in town - we have a couple in Austin that specialize on older Porsche's...refreshing to pull in and see other 944's, old 911's and 928's sitting in the parking lot. I haven't had a shop do much work for me - but I would no sooner take my 951 to a Porsche dealer than I would a Kia dealer.

Odds are, those guys don't have a clue...the liklehood that they have ever touched a 944/951 is slim...and just because they can wrench on a GT3 doesn't mean they know all the nuances of these cars. They'd do a better job than most - but you're better off doing it yourself (and saving about $1k and that's if you buy a new pump and a bunch of other WYIT type stuff) and learning to wrench on your car (and you'll save boo-koo $$ in the long run) or find a shop that specializes in older German cars and has some experience wrenching on 951's.
1987 951 - SFR 3" exhaust, Vitesse MAF w/ 83# injectors, Vitesse S2R Turbo, Tial 38mm, Lindsey MBC, Spec Clutch w/ Fidanza flywheel, Turbo S Brake Kit w/ Drilled Rotors, Koni shocks, 17" Michelin PS2's on Fikse FM5's, Saratoga Sunroof.

Last edited by choinga; 12-02-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Those are absolutely ridiculous quotes. Find an independent shop, learn to do it yourself or bring it to Birmingham. What year did you get?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

i took my car to the local indie porsche garage after i did my belt/rollers/pump service to have the belts tensioned with their 9201 gauge, they charged me 45 bucks..
that's right, 45 bucks.
$1,600 sounds like he has a few past due boat payments
Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I don't mean to thread jack but it's somewhat on topic, My car has a spring tensioner, do I still need to retension it? If so should I just do it my self or bring it to a dealer?
87 944 Turbo shes got a few goodies. New DD
Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks924S View Post
I don't mean to thread jack but it's somewhat on topic, My car has a spring tensioner, do I still need to retension it? If so should I just do it my self or bring it to a dealer?
You should make sure your spring tensioner is up to spec. that usually means having to use a tool to make sure it is close.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks924S View Post
The spring tensioner needs to be "released" and reset per the WSM (work shop manual). See the A & B nuts in the photo.
You should also gently "rock" the roller R & L to get the tension spring "reset".

Even with the Mechanical Spring Tensioner, you should still check the belt tension with the "90 degree twist method"--(see Clarks), the OEM Porsche tool --P9201, the Arnnworx tension tool--P920X OR-----OR the "Water Pump pully test".

John
Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can do to get a hold of either of those tenioner tools aswell, they seem like a sound invesment.

87 944 Turbo shes got a few goodies. New DD
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: