Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Swiss Cheese Airbox and High Flow Nose

Today I managed to find the time to take the nose panel off, and take a peek at the air filter assembly. (The main reason for doing so was to measure the airbox in order to be able to custom order an AMSOIL high-flow panel filter.)

I decided while I had the whole assembly apart that I would swiss-cheese the airbox to improve the airflow a little bit.

Essentially, I drilled a bunch of 7/16" holes in the airbox on the front and bottom section.

This mod, along with the AMSOIL filter and high-flow nose panel, should offer a bit of an improvement. I haven't driven the car yet, so I can't tell you yet what the mod offers i.e. power, intake sound etc. I'll keep everyone informed.

I've attached a few quick pics.

FWIW, I'll be adding an airbox mod page to my site soon.

Oh, also, I'll be installing a Porsche crest badge on the high-flow panel, to improve its looks a little bit. (It's too plain otherwise.)

Jim

Modified front and bottom of airbox.

Modified airbox in car.

High-flow nose panel.
JGriff.com

"Excite the senses, drive a Porsche!!"

Last edited by JGriff; 01-26-2002 at 08:32 PM..
Old 01-26-2002, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

nice, hope it turns out good. And yea good choice to add the badge

Pat
02' Suzuki GSX-R 600
Old 01-26-2002, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How did you get that nose panel off? Mine needs painting because someone stole my badge and scratched it badly but
i just cant remove it! Please tell me what has to be done to get
it off.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Matti
How did you get that nose panel off? Mine needs painting because someone stole my badge and scratched it badly but
i just cant remove it! Please tell me what has to be done to get
it off.
At some point, I'll put up a webpage with a few more pics showing how, but for now, here's the URL of the info that I used to get the panel off.

S2 Central - Air Filter Replacement

Hope that helps.

Jim
JGriff.com

Old 01-27-2002, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by gixer02
nice, hope it turns out good. And yea good choice to add the badge

Pat
Thanks.

I hope to install the badge today. It should definitely give it more of an OEM look. Without it, it just doesn't look right, IMHO.

I'll post a pic after I get it done.

Jim
JGriff.com

Old 01-27-2002, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by JGriff

Thanks.

I hope to install the badge today. It should definitely give it more of an OEM look. Without it, it just doesn't look right, IMHO.

I'll post a pic after I get it done.

Jim
Here are a couple of pictures of the badge installed.

I'm planning on taking the car to work tomorrow (since it's going to be close to 60 degrees up here in MA!!), so I'll get a feel for the mod. I don't expect a huge difference, at least not with an OEM paper filter. Once I get the better flowing panel filter, I'm sure that I'll notice a difference.

Jim
JGriff.com

Old 01-27-2002, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Just as a follow-up, here is the webpage that I just finished relative to the airbox mod.

In addition to info and pictures about the mod, there is also text and pictures of how to remove the front nose panel.

Airbox Mod

Jim
JGriff.com

Old 01-31-2002, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Jim- read the whole story on your site. Sounds like it went well. The badge is a definite plus. I think painting the straps would make them less visible and the screen idea is to. Not just for looks, but also to block debris from entering. 2 questions for you:
1. Do you think you would still see a benifit over stock if you did not have the hi-flow nose panel. (the hi-flow one's better but would it be worth a shot to "swiss cheese" it with the stock nose?)
2. Do you think this is a big enough difference to make the car run lean if you do not adjust fuel settings?

Thanks alot

Pat
02' Suzuki GSX-R 600
Old 02-01-2002, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by gixer02
Hey Jim- read the whole story on your site. Sounds like it went well. The badge is a definite plus. I think painting the straps would make them less visible and the screen idea is too. Not just for looks, but also to block debris from entering.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of doing one or the other. Probably paint at first, then work later on mesh etc.

Quote:
2 questions for you:
1. Do you think you would still see a benefit over stock if you did not have the hi-flow nose panel. (the hi-flow one's better but would it be worth a shot to "swiss cheese" it with the stock nose?)
I think so, if not more so. If I didn't have the high-flow nose, I would do it without hesitation. I did so on my '92 100S, with the factory airbox, and I noticed a bit of a difference.

Quote:
2. Do you think this is a big enough difference to make the car run lean if you do not adjust fuel settings?
I don't know for sure, and I'm hoping not... but if I had to guess, I would think not. On most modern cars controlled by computer, I would think that there is enough compensation in the factory system to adjust for a slight bit of increased airflow (up to a certain amount).

With that concern in mind, that's why I also chose not to go with a K&N cone (i.e. perhaps too much airflow?), on this car or my Audi. (Never mind the fact that I believe that a K&N also lets too much dirt through.) IMHO, swiss-cheesing the factory airbox is something that is not too extreme.

As I drive the car more, especially in the spring and summer, when the temps get higher, I'll keep everyone informed about what I think of the mod, and if I encounter any problems.

Thanks for the response.

Jim
JGriff.com

Last edited by JGriff; 02-03-2002 at 10:45 AM..
Old 02-03-2002, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: