Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
All Spooled Up

How to greatly extend the service life of ball/roller bearings.

This information is in the recent "charging problems" thread. But I have deemed it important enough that it should be in it's own thread, "bearing" it's own title.

What you do, is pop a "grease injection needle" onto the grease gun's zirk connector. Then gently run the tip of the "hypodermic" needle under the inner lip of the rubber seal, with the opening hole facing into the bearing, and pump some grease into it. Wipe off any excess grease. This will greatly extend the service life (almost to infinity) of ANY bearing of this style.

When bearings are new, they contain some grease. But I have found that the amount in them varies greatly, from a somewhat decent amount, to iffy, to very little, to occasionally even none. I'm convinced that this is the reason why some bearings fail sooner than others. So I always add extra grease, even to brand new bearings. I don't believe that I have ever had a bearing fail yet, which I added extra grease to.

And you CAN also do the metal-shield bearings, but you need to pierce into the shield (use a sharp pick, so you won't damage the grease needle's point), making a hole in it, where you pump the grease into. Then seal the hole, by first wiping the shield clean, and placing a small "patch" made from aluminum (duct) tape, over it.

I'm sure that the bearing manufacturers won't be happy that I exposed this information. It can only hurt their sales numbers for replacement bearings. But my primary objective here, is to help out my fellow p-car owners. It might not be a bad idea for this info to go "sticky".

Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good info. While I'm not quite as cheap as I once was, I rebuilt the alternator in my 83 944 with parts from a 931 alt, including the bearings, which I repacked before installing them in the alt I was rebuilding. Part of my regular maintenance schedule was to remove the alt, tear it down and repack those used bearings. It's been going strong now for about 15 years in that 944, and I don't know how many miles were on the 931 alt we took apart to get the bearings from. The folly of youth turned into the wisdom of...what? Adult something-or-other.

Cheers!
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Wild man, brilliant idea. Can this technique be applied to torque tube bearings?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Redline Racer

It's also great for getting an extra clutch's worth of life out of clutch release bearings, too. It requires popping them apart (the flange IIRC).
Old 01-06-2011, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Great info! I will admit I have a bearing fettish and I do a lot of things to try to make bearings last longer!

Off to the hardware store...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Porsche 944S Club Sport

Garage
Send a message via AIM to guru944
Wild Man,

Great tip, Brother...

Looks like i'll be doing this in Spring, Later...
http://www.blackbirdmotorsports.com, 944/951/968 & 911 Performance Solutions.
Thank you Lord, for your Loving Kindness, Tender Mercy, and Grace. Only You are Faithful.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quality

Pics for the win,.... =) (Help noobs, pics!)
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Redline Racer

I've just been in the process of tearing down a late 944 alternator and the sealed shields just pop completely out using a hypodermic needle. Makes it easy to pack grease into them.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
All Spooled Up

Yes, popping them out is another way to do it. Can't UL any pics (using FF4b8), and can't seem to figure out what the problem is. There are also certain things that left clicking on seems to do nothing.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: