Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1980 924 MPG Help!

Hey All!

Having a problem with my 1980 924, which is I am roughly only getting 10 MPG!!

There are no visible leaks to be found, replaced the air filter which was very 'oily' other than that I can not determine what could be the cause of it.....

Can anyone suggest what I could be missing????

Cheers Guys!

Damo.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
How do your spark plugs look? Have you tested control & system pressures? Does your dipstick smell like fuel?

Depending on the service history of the car, a good and inexpensive first step would be to pull the injectors, including the cold start valve, and have them professionally cleaned (less than $100). I would follow this with an oil change.

An ignition refresh might help as well (wires, plugs, cap & rotor), but it will cost a little more. Don't use cheap wires. . .not worth it. Kingston wiresets have been recommended.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The 1980 has lambda, so I'll bet your mixture is all screwed up. Have you replaced the O2 sensor? A quick tune is to warm up the car and then set the frequency valve (which is controlled by the O2 sensor) to roughly a 45 - 50 degree dwell (if I'm wrong one of the 924board guys will come along and correct me). If you don't want to monkey with the lambda system, you can tune the car by feel. Disconnect or disable the O2 sensor, loosen the distributor hold-down nut and set the ignition timing. If you can get 6 to 10 deg BTDC you're doing well. There are marks on the flywheel, but I'm not sure what they're stamped at on the North American 1980 924. Usually, I hold the throttle at 2,000 RPM and hunt for the sweet spot by turning the ignition distributor. After the ignition is set you can play with the mixture at the fuel distributor. There again, look for the sweet spot; then lean things out a little more. This all is predicated on the fact that you've got no vac leaks and the car is already in good repair/tune. Also, I'd suggest hopping on over to 924Board.org :: Index and hitting up the gang there. BTW how's you warm-up regulator? Any leaking injectors? Cold start valve? There is a number of potential culprits.

Hope this helps!
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That seems like incredibly bad mileage for an NA, even if you kept your foot on the floor all the time!

Surely there should be some other symptoms of poor running?!?

Otherwise, I'd echo the previous advice...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE"

Garage
i get the same gas milage more like 13 its a 2.5 n/a changed spark plugs, new o2(did not even make a difference waste 124 bucks) fuel filter only has maybe 15k on it. i gave up, still cant beleive it has a 21 gal gas tank??

Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
porsche 924