Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Called triple square or cheesehead bolts. I found a set at one of the parts stores. You could go thru one of the higher end tool suppliers to check their selection.
Be sure to "wake up" the bolts with a good tap before you try loosening them.
Do you have a good parts catalog and workshop manual downloaded? If not, get them ASAP. Will help much. Also ClarksGarage.com is very helpful, along with other people who have posted DIY stuff on the forums and utube etc.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endat View Post
SUCCESS! I ended up drilling out the smaller pin and hammering the bigger one out with a screwdriver.. I made a video I'll stick on youtube later in case anyone else needs a visual.

Now I need to figure out how to get this pressure plate off... what kinda bolt is that? 3 of them were 6mm hex, but the others... theyre like (torx * 2)
They are probably triple square. They strip VERY easily. Clark's recommends hammering the head of the triple square into the bolt then loosening each one a little bit at a time. This prevents the PP from putting too much pressure on one bolt. Go slowly because having to drill out these bolts is a major PITA.

The triple square will also remove the flywheel bolts beneath the PP, same with the cam bolt. I replaced my triple square PP bolts with the star shaped ones.
944S --> 944 turbo S - 2.5L Dry Sleeves, K26/8 Turbo, LR Height Adjustable Motor Mounts (-1/2 in.), LR 3 Piece Xmember, LR 3 Piece Xover Pipe, LR Oil Pan Baffle Kit, 930 Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, Custom RX-7 Oil Cooler, Apexi EBC, Tial 38mm Wastegate, Full 3" SFR Exhaust, etc...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

they shouldn't be torx. they should be all hex on the pressure plate, and the flywheel uses the triple squares.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Excellent, thanks! I've been searching google all day but all i've been able to find were scores of online parts stores selling flywheel bolts.. must be a competitive market. Should I get a set of these things, or is this the only cheesehead i'll be needing?

I have Vol1 and Vol1A of the workshop manuals.. and some other assorted PDF files somewhere. I should track those down, they could be useful.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Triple Square - 3/4" drive socket
Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Redline Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endat View Post
SUCCESS! I ended up drilling out the smaller pin and hammering the bigger one out with a screwdriver.. I made a video I'll stick on youtube later in case anyone else needs a visual.

Now I need to figure out how to get this pressure plate off... what kinda bolt is that? 3 of them were 6mm hex, but the others... theyre like (torx * 2)
Is it a triple square bolt? List of screw drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They should all be hex, but I guess it's possible someone managed to put something else in there. If you dont have a set of triple square tools, you will need them for the flywheel bolts and a few other things.

These can be found at most autoparts stores that stock the OEM brand. They're not nearly as nice as something like snap-on (obviously) but they're good enough if you're careful to keep them fully inserted into a clean screw head. I've been using mine for several years with no problem.
- OEM Automotive tools - Built by GreatNeck Metric Internal Wrench Set 4 Piece

Funny how in the time it took me to post this, 4 other poeple answered the same question. Good Luck with it. You can find all of the service manuals here. http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/docs.html

Last edited by HondaDustR; 02-16-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Porscaholic and loving it

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ez-Bone Send a message via MSN to Ez-Bone Send a message via Yahoo to Ez-Bone Send a message via Skype™ to Ez-Bone
If memory serves me properly those should be M8 size. I got the set I have from O'Reilly's Auto store, their inhouse brand I think it is 'Performance Tools' or something like that.

However, I have an 84 944 but I was lucky that the P.Plate bolts were the same as the axle link bolts.
Just my 2 pennies of knowledge though :P

PORSCHE
My anti-drug <3
Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

The bolt used for removal of the Clutch Fork Pivot Rod is a M8 X 155mm long. Vise Grips is used at the bolt head and hit with a hammer to pull the pivot rod out. Of course one has to loosen the pivot rod retaining bolt on the Bell Housing first.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
I ordered one of these:
305STSMSE, Set, Metric, Bit Socket, Triple Square, Stubby, 5 pcs.

Of course, I bought a generic set from ebay and saved $126 over the retail price... 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm

The triple square bolts that are in the pressure plate look like they've been unscrewed before... so maybe thats why I only hhave 3 of the normal hex bolts holding it on

Last edited by Endat; 02-17-2011 at 01:12 AM..
Old 02-17-2011, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDustR View Post
Is it a triple square bolt? List of screw drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They should all be hex, but I guess it's possible someone managed to put something else in there. If you dont have a set of triple square tools, you will need them for the flywheel bolts and a few other things.

I'm gonna keep this page.. those repair manuals are pretty sweet too

Last edited by Endat; 02-17-2011 at 01:28 AM..
Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

I replaced all my triple square bolts with hex heads. I have no idea why Porsche decided it was a brilliant idea to torque down a bolt to the degree in which it will always strip when you try to remove it, (that's what she said).
944S --> 944 turbo S - 2.5L Dry Sleeves, K26/8 Turbo, LR Height Adjustable Motor Mounts (-1/2 in.), LR 3 Piece Xmember, LR 3 Piece Xover Pipe, LR Oil Pan Baffle Kit, 930 Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, Custom RX-7 Oil Cooler, Apexi EBC, Tial 38mm Wastegate, Full 3" SFR Exhaust, etc...
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Decided to clean the bellhousing and clutch fork...

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
I'm still waiting for those triple square bits, so I thought I would check out the "rebuilt" engine block that many944s sold me.. first, I unbolted it from the pallet and tipped it up vertically. Then, while I was test fitting a socket to the rod bearing cap nut and I noticed that it was loose.. all of the rod nuts were loose, so i unscrewed them with my finger and the pistons came right out:

It was about this time I noticed that the surface was the only clean part of this block. none of the bearings were new either.

I checked out the main bearings and they dont look new either, and there was some sludge in one of the holes of the bearing carrier

I dont know about the crankshaft though, looks like someones been trying to balance it

I think this has given me some good practice and I'm looking forward to rebuilding the one that came out of the car... and if anyone wants any of these parts, pm me
Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Redline Racer

That does look like one tired motor! What a disappointment... That's why I'm always concerned when a motor is advertised as "rebuilt", as that could mean anything!

Back during my fiasco, the first motor a member sold me turned out to be in similar shape with a deep gouge at the top of one of the cylinders. I thought I was just out $$$ and had to continue the search, but he exchanged for another for delivery charges.

It's definitely nice to get some practice stripping one down before working on the good motor. Those pistons may be worth keeping if they aren't scratched up too badly. Save the hardware. Having a big box full of metric stuff is priceless when you break a bolt at 2am trying to finish a job. Save the lower balance shaft front bearing carrier. The PS pump mount on it is somewhat fragile and can easily get broken if the engine smashes against something between now and when it's bolted up into the car, or if you are unfortunate enough to end up running off the road and over something. The main girdle, balance shaft housings, and balance shafts are all matched to the block, so they go wherever the block goes. If the block cylinders are not totally destroyed, and you have room to store it, it would make for a good oversize custom piston build, or a sleeving project sometime down the road.

What's all that grey sealant crap on the girdle surface?

Keep the updates coming...with lots of pictures! We love pictures!

Pretty soon your shop floor will look more like this.

Last edited by HondaDustR; 02-18-2011 at 08:25 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah the same gray silicone was used on the balance shafts and oil pump too.. Thing is, I was very careful when I bought this motor.. I spent some time on the phone with him and asked specific questions about it, and everything I asked about, he said it was new.. I explained how important this piece was to my build, and how it's the last of my budget for this project, but he assured me it was fully refurbished, never used. so I thought a short block in this good of condition would surely be worth paying $850 for... hmmmmmmmmmmm forget about it lasting 20 years, this thing wouldnt have lasted 20 minutes with those loose rod nuts

I'd like to unload some of these unwanted parts, my broken cylinder head and old clutch too... try to recoop some of the lost investment. I might make a post in the sale section sometime soon

Last edited by Endat; 02-18-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

So you bought the engine from many944s?

What did he say about this after you discovered the engine was toast?
Magnaflow 2 1/2" exhaust with K & N 4 inch custom intake
MaxHP chipped
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Got the clutch out!!! It's in surprisingly good shape

Over half of the cheesehead bolts tried to strip.. definately not putting those back on

Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickharrison View Post
So you bought the engine from many944s?

What did he say about this after you discovered the engine was toast?
I wish I knew...
Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Redline Racer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being a spring centered disk, the clutch has been replaced at least once already. It should have some life left in it. Those bolts should not be triple square. Replace them with the allen hex heads.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
I may be stating the obvious here but I have read all the posts and didn't see any mention of Clark's Garage which has proven to be in invaluable resource for me. You should check it out if you haven already done so.

Clark's Garage Home Page
Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: