Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
This is my Porsche. There are many like it, but this one is mine...

My Porsche is my inspiration. Without me, my Porsche is useless. Without my Porsche, I am useless...

I have finally recovered financially after buying a bad block from a fellow member and having to spend the thousands of dollars reserved for the repair bill, on another car (a Mercedes 190E). I have protected it from the elements, and kept it in my heart hoping that one day, it would run again...

I also kept the all parts I dumped my savings into.... safely in my garage.

It's been my dream, ever since I was little, to own one of these incredible machines. I have come so far in this build and I am not about to give up because of some. . . dot dot dot
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
What I need at this point is a little community support.. this whole endeavor has left me incredibly depressed, and I could really use some knowledge and experience from my fellow Porsche enthusiasts... This is the engine that came out of the car, it's in pretty decent shape, the cylinder walls and pistons are still in great shape but it needs rebuilt.

I have an engine stand, I have access to a hoist, I have the rings and bearings in the mail, and I can get the tools required.. I just dont have experience building bottom ends.. Also, I dont know what else in the block should be replaced while its apart, or the proper techniques to getting it done. EVERY other part of the engine is basically new or rebuilt, so I would like to do this the way I originally intended.. so that my "new" engine will last ANOTHER 23 years.

Also, it would be nice to go into my garage without having to avoid looking at the car... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Pelicans,
Bobby
Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
oops, the cylinder picrure is a duplicate.. here's the other:

Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
For further specification, it's the 16ventiler model...

Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

I think many of the Porsche owners feel the same way about their cars and the frustration at times.

Your pictures have an eery feeling.

I do not have answers that would help.

I did read your post earlier about the engine.

I'mmmmm back.....

I hope you find a way to succeed.

GL
John
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Boostfeen on Rennlist has a good S engine with @ 125,000 miles...$850 complete for sale....might be cheaper to snag it than rebuild...you could sell off the good parts from this one too to recover.

My guess is a valve job etc might run up to $2500 on a full rebuild.

IIRC shipping across US would be $250...just throwing this out there dude.

GL.

EDIT...WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN A REBUILD...carry on.
Magnaflow 2 1/2" exhaust with K & N 4 inch custom intake
MaxHP chipped
Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rocket Surgeon

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Pettybird
so what's wrong? spun rod bearing?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice 190E, by the way.

You'll get there.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, more than likely... the shop that was working on it said the chain most likely broke because the engine locked up at one point, they showed me scoring on the exhaust camshaft as evidence:

They later stuck a flexy camera up the oil hole to inspect #2, but couldnt see anything but blackness and sludge. The engine wasnt well oiled, it was full of gloopy black stuff. This is what the engine looked like after it came out of the car:

I cleaned it up a bit and oiled the cylinder walls so I could rotate it every once in a while. That's when I took the pictures from the first couple of posts.

Even now if you stick your finger down an oil passage you'll pull out slimy black ooze, also I never found 2 of the camshaft teeth that broke off.. so theyre probably in there too.. this thing needs to be rebuilt. I wont know exactly what I'm dealing with until I get this thing apart.. I did NOT touch the gasket mating surface.

I'd still like to get this thing rebuilt so I'll know exactly what I have and wont have to worry about it for a long, long time. The rings and bearings are already on the way, but like I said, I dont know anything about it other than using assembly lube on the bearings and using the torques specified in the manual.

I dont think I'm in over my head, because I'm a quick learner and I have experience fixing engines, and the dedication to see this through. But I've never rebuilt a bottom end before...

I found a Porsche video on youtube about the 928 S4 motor, but I'm not sure how much of it can be applied to the 944S:
YouTube - Porsche 928 Engine Training Video (1 of 3)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontifex4 View Post
Nice 190E, by the way.

You'll get there.
Thanks for the compliment.. I think motivation is the real killer here. But I'm basically forcing myself to finish what I started.. they say nothing worthwhile is ever easy, I'm gonna take "them" up on that
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

That looks like a classic cam tensioner failure to me. Notice the cracked mounting point.

I dunno man, if a good used engine (as I've noted) has decent compression and a serviced well functioning tensioner...it would be a more affordable alternative.

To each his own. Enjoy your project.
Magnaflow 2 1/2" exhaust with K & N 4 inch custom intake
MaxHP chipped
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Just set yourself small objectives along the way to a completed job. You will get a heap of satisfaction having brought it back to original condition but just do it in manageable chunks.
Good luck.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah I should have just gotten another whole engine in the first place, but when I bought it, I thought it only needed a head, so I got one.. but I'm a little jaded now and dont trust anyone's used parts anymore. Besides, I'm already in it for more than the car's worth, and I dont plan on selling it, so cost isnt an issue. I already have my new head reworked too, I just need to get the rest together..

also, not sure if you noticed but my cam covers, valve cover, and intake manifold are sanded down and ready to be powercoated gold.. so this engine will be to my own specifications.

Objective #1 - Get the engine onto the engine stand.
Problem #1 - After removing all the bellhousing bolts, I cant get the bellhousing free of the block.. I disconnected the sensor things too, what am I doing wrong?

Still need to get my engine stand bolts from thread,
Engine stand bolts
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
All it takes is money...

Garage
Gl with your project. I'm sure its intimidating and never having done a rebuild myself, I can see where you're coming from. Having worked on many other "big" projects however all I can say is take your time and be patient. To use an old cliche, it isn't rocket science. Once you get going with it, I'm sure you'll find it isn't so bad. I have faith in you haha

Also, you can give these a look. I hope it helps. GL
Manuals
Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endat View Post
Objective #1 - Get the engine onto the engine stand.
Problem #1 - After removing all the bellhousing bolts, I cant get the bellhousing free of the block.. I disconnected the sensor things too, what am I doing wrong?

Still need to get my engine stand bolts from thread,
Engine stand bolts
Did you pull the clutch fork shaft completely out?
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
No, how do I do that?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

You have to remove the bolt that holds on the clutch fork shaft. After that, you just tap out the shaft and the bellhousing will come right off.

Sorry to hear about the engine failure. I have a whole slew of S parts available including a complete head with cams. I would be very happy to see those parts go to an owner who loves his car.
944S --> 944 turbo S - 2.5L Dry Sleeves, K26/8 Turbo, LR Height Adjustable Motor Mounts (-1/2 in.), LR 3 Piece Xmember, LR 3 Piece Xover Pipe, LR Oil Pan Baffle Kit, 930 Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, Custom RX-7 Oil Cooler, Apexi EBC, Tial 38mm Wastegate, Full 3" SFR Exhaust, etc...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
SLED GUITARIST

Garage
commdiver has a 16v for $850 as well, this is a super good price, normally 2700-4000. Looks in good shape.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickharrison View Post
That looks like a classic cam tensioner failure to me. Notice the cracked mounting point.

I dunno man, if a good used engine (as I've noted) has decent compression and a serviced well functioning tensioner...it would be a more affordable alternative.

To each his own. Enjoy your project.
It appears that you are correct Rick. The pad probably crumbled due to its age. Subjected to constant heat over many miles and years the pads eventually become brittle. I am going to guess that once the pad broke away from the cam tensioner the cam chain was thrown which caused them to lock up and rip the cam tensioner from the head. The teeth on the cam sprockets may have been damaged as well. I've seen both the head and cam sprockets repaired but that's another story. Unfortunately, cam tensioner pad failures aren't so unusual and are typically the result of neglected maintenance. The bottom line - change your pads out. It's cheap insurance. Endat, fear not. I have such a project in my garage as well. It can get overwhelming, no? Stay with it. Check out my cam tensioner pad do-it-yourself on Rennlist (DIY Submisson Forum) - photo rich. I hope that you find it informative and useful. I will be doing another DIY involving fan wiring. Good stuff as well.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
i never use caps...TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES !

rick
Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: