Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to thekidd
Kind of torch?

I've been going through some troubles of having rusted bolts, seized studs, and difficult time getting rusty nuts and bolt off and out. Mainly a couple of head studs, head bolts, exhaust nut and bolts off, and a tensioner roller stud. Was wondering what kind of torches you guys have, or what ones to use for these kinds of jobs. My newest stuck thing is the stud on the tensioner roller. Was adjusting belts after a HG job and stripped the threads on the stud and need to take it out. Put penetrating oil on it, and used my stud remover and snapped the stud without the stud backing out even a little. Need to heat the stud and don't know what kind of torch I need to heat the thing up.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

home depot mapp gas torch will it reasonably hot. but u need to make sure there's nothing meltable all around.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
+1 ^

Also your local hardware store will have the Mapp Gas torches (Mapp Gas is in the yellow tank - the blue tank is LP Gas and is not near as good as Mapp Gas. Home Depot and hardware stores will also have the hand held torches with a Piazzo lighter (Push button striker). Those are a little more money but for convenience of lighting them all the time it's worth it.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I use Blue tanks or regular propane tanks and it works well. For super tight places i use a mini soldering torch works very well.

Cool thing about heat and PB Blaster it works really well. I heat up the bolt a little then squirt it with some PB Blaster but never to hot so as not to weaken the bolt.
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: