Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Calling the Autocrossers

Tomorrow morning I'm attending my first autocross! I'm really excited. Mine will be the only 944 attending and I can't wait to show what the car can do. I'm in the Maverick (Dallas) Region PCA and new to it as well. Check in is at 7:30 and I'm pretty sure that I'll be there in plenty of time and a little eager.

Anyway, I went over my car and would like to know if there's anything I forgot. Here's what I've checked:
Oil
Coolant
Brake Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Plugs
Tires have 3 pounds extra air
I cleaned and re-oiled the K&N
Put my brand new helmet in the back
Went and darn near Concours(sp) cleaned my car, if it has to be the only 944 at least it will be well represented!

Anything I forgot? Any last minute tips?

Dang, I haven't been this excited since I bought the car! Feel like a kid waiting for morning. Got a nice shiny car I get to go play with tomorrow...woooohoooo!
Old 02-15-2002, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Awesome, I hope you have a lot of fun! Don't have your expectations TOO high, meaning don't get down on yourself if your times don't meet your expectations, just make sure you enjoy yourself. Take pictures/video if you have that capability...you might want to bring some tools, and remember NO cornering at redline. Have a blast!
Old 02-15-2002, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good luck! Do you have LSD?
Old 02-15-2002, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Believe me, I don't have any expectations about my time, just want to drive...and drive...and drive!! Thanks about the tip on the tools, I forgot about that.

I don't have LSD. Nice big wheels and good tires though,
17"turbo twist wheels and Bridgestone SO2 tires, hoping they'll give me a little help.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by PorscheG96
and remember NO cornering at redline.
Pardon my ignorance (or maybe because it's late at night and I should be in bed by now), but why do you say that?

Possible tire slippage causing an over-rev condition?

Thanks.

Jim
JGriff.com

"Excite the senses, drive a Porsche!!"
Old 02-15-2002, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
have fun! trevor, i forgot to ask, how did your auto-x go?

Old 02-15-2002, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jim,

I took it to mean prevention from rod bearing failure. The good ole #2 rod bearing seems to fail on a lot of these cars under hard cornering conditions. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that's what I thought he meant.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by BallGoFar
Jim,

I took it to mean prevention from rod bearing failure. The good ole #2 rod bearing seems to fail on a lot of these cars under hard cornering conditions. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that's what I thought he meant.
Okay, that makes sense.

Thanks for the info... I wasn't aware of that on these cars. Does that apply to all years and models of the 944 series, or just the early ones (i.e. Porsche addressed the problem in later cars)?

Thanks.

Jim
JGriff.com

Old 02-15-2002, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Jim,

From what I learned here on the board, it's a design flaw across the entire 944 line of cars. I remember a thread where Skip and one of the guys from Huntley were discussing what causes it. There are different theories, but Huntley seems to have addressed it with a cross drilled crank. This is all from memory so you might want to do your own research. Skip and others believe that it's a more prevalent problem in the 86 and older models and the 87 and newer ones got a slightly redesigned oilpan that lessened the starvation of the bearing. Huntley blames the problem on the size, position and type of hole at the bottom of the crank.

Bottom line, if you race your car hard, you're more susceptible to the failure and should look at changing your rod bearings every year or so. If a daily driver, look at having them changed around 100K miles. That's the opinion I got from the board.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by BallGoFar
Jim,

From what I learned here on the board, it's a design flaw across the entire 944 line of cars.
Bottom line, if you race your car hard, you're more susceptible to the failure and should look at changing your rod bearings every year or so. If a daily driver, look at having them changed around 100K miles. That's the opinion I got from the board.
Thanks for the info!!

I'll keep it all in mind, especially since the previous owners tracked the car quite a bit, from what I understand.

Thanks again.

Jim
JGriff.com

Old 02-15-2002, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Quote:
have fun! trevor, i forgot to ask, how did your auto-x go?
I had a lot of fun! I learned that the top 5% of drivers on the road make up 95% of autocross participants...I love being around all the good drivers and enthusiasts instead of a bunch of morons who you're questioning how the hell they got a license. I had the A-032's on the front but the Dunlops still on the rear, so I lost a couple seconds trying to control EXTREME oversteer through each corner. I put the rear A-032's on this morning at work so I'll do a lot better this sunday [SCCA SFR Round 2].
Quote:
I took it to mean prevention from rod bearing failure.
Exactly. Eh, I suppose that's my suggestion to you after reading the Devek analysis of why failures like the rod bearing occur. There's no solid answer, just a suggestion that I thought might help.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
CoastDog

Porsche Crest

I read the same thread. My recollection: the oil hole in the crank is positioned so that at high rpm centrifical force throws the oil to the opposite side of the crank from the oil hole. So, the higher the rpm the less oil is available to the crank oil hole. Cross drilling puts an oil hole where the oil is massed by the centrifical force. Apparently Chevy had the same problems with its race engines.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
what might be your best solution to combat oil starvation is an accusump system. carter951 on this board sells these systems, you might want to talk to him.

edit: good luck this weekend, trevor.

Last edited by Blackfoot; 02-15-2002 at 09:14 PM..
Old 02-15-2002, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Where is the auto-x at???????? Motorsports Ranch?

Forget it's at Pennington Feild,just read it on the PCA website,Good luck
928 OC member
PCA member

Last edited by justin; 02-16-2002 at 01:38 AM..
Old 02-16-2002, 01:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That may very well have been the single most addictive thing I've ever done! Is there any better way to spend a sunny Saturday??

The morning was on the skidpad, slalom and braking thresholds. Lunch then walkthroughs, then one lap with an instructor driving at parade speed. Then I got to drive 5 runs.

The morning went well, I was the only student to hit a cone during the slalom and was actually praised for it!

After much thinking, I decided early this morning to switch to my original wheels and tires. Most of the time I run 996 17" wheels and Potenza SO2 tires. I put the 15" phone dials and Michelin Pilot XGTs back on the car. My thinking was that if I make a mistake I could damage my 996 wheels and if I screwed up my phone dials, so what? Other than the wheels and tires my car is stock in every way other than a K&N filter.

Anyway, I was told thatI would be the only 944, but one other guy showed up with a spanked 944 so he really didn't count. It was a short track, nobody got out of 2nd gear and at the time it was plenty fast enough. My best time was 52.3 and I was told that it was a great time for a total beginner and that I would pick up at least two or three seconds with my other wheels and tires and after actually participating in an autox, I can't see how I could possibly hurt my wheels so they'll be on the next time and we'll see...
The best time of the day was put up by the guy that wins everything, his time was 45.5 in a heavily modified 914.

The next autox will be a longer track and I can't wait!!! Hmmm, think I can get my hands on some Koni Yellows and 250lb springs by Friday?? lol.

If you've never tried this DON'T WAIT!!!! Hands down, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
BallGoFar,
You going to be at Motorsports Ranch the 23rd and 24th? I will probally call in sick to work and go out and watch. Let me know.

The Maverick region will be there.
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 02-16-2002, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Justin,

No, I couldn't get it it time. I've been trying to get in for a month!! The waiting list is just ridiculous. But I've got my name in for the next DE. Are you going to the next auto-x?
Old 02-17-2002, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
BallGoFar,

Looks like the next auto-x at Motorsports Ranch held by the PCA Maverick Region is on June 22&23,I will probally go and hang out.

P.S. I have the 2002 schedule for motorsports ranch.

On May 18&19 the hill country region will have a auto-x. I might go watch that one too.
We will have to get together sometime and meet up there.
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 02-17-2002, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Justin... Where is that Hill Country AutoX to be held? I may
be down there in May... might check it out.

Thnx.

macreel
PCA/PNWR
Old 02-19-2002, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
BallGoFar: Welcome to the sport of autox! Once your hooked, there's no turning back....

A couple of suggestions:
1. Stick with the 15" wheels: a smaller diameter tire results in slightly quicker acceleration. (At the cost of top speed). You need this acceleration at autox. And with 17" wheels, you're probably be running in non-stock classes.

2. Stick with street rubber for now: it enables you to better learn the handling dynamics of your car. The stickies grip too much, and as a newbie, you'll get sloppy, and not learn the right way to drive. After a couple of seasons, you'll be ready for the stickies, and at that point, you can extract more performance out of them than right now.

3. Don't worry too much about modifying your car's setup: bone stock is a great place to start. Worry about improving the driver, not the car! Sure, it's tempting to get bigger sway bars, strut tower braces, firmer springs...etc. But you won't be improving, your car will be. The purpose of autox is to improve the driver, not the car. Again, wait a couple of seasons before getting into suspension mods. Also: if you wait, you'll know what suspension upgrades will suit you the most: not all upgrades are suitable for all driving styles.

4. Get Henry Watt's book, Secrets of Solo Racing Excellent resource for the average autocrosser.

And get ready for your next adrenaline rush: ever consider doing a DE/track event with PCA? ...

Enjoy and have fun!
-Zoltan.
------------------
My Gallery:

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 02-20-2002, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: