Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question rpm drop very slowly when shifting.

My car is a 88' 944S(16v). My rpm will not drop like normal when shifting after the engine gets warmed up. I've replaced the distributor cap and rotor, checked the throttle cable and found no problem. Yet the problem continus after I start the car and city drive it for about 15 minute. It takes almost 3 second for the rpm to drop from 3500(where I normal shift) to 2500. ALthough everything appear to be normal when I first start the car in the morning.

I am guess it might be the bad AFM.

Any suggestion? Also, if it is the AFM problem, can I adjust it somehow instead of replacing it? Thanks in advance for any help..
Old 02-17-2002, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I doubt it's the AFM, I would guess it is the Throttle switch, failing to detect a fully-closed throttle, which normally shuts off the gas until the rpm hits around 1600 or so ... the haynes manual has the procedure for removing the throttle body and inspecting the switch (unless the later models are radically different).

That would be where I would start.

E
Old 02-18-2002, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree with Ehab. I also think it is the throttle switch. You should hear a faint click just as the throttle closes.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

hrottle switch... or also the throttle cable or throttle body itself could be sticking. i once had a sticky throttle cable in the 924... the RPMs would stay up just like what is happening to your car now.

good luck!

obin
Old 02-18-2002, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to adrial Send a message via AIM to adrial
Another vote for throttle switch!
Should hear a slight click when you open it and then again when you close it (the throttle..operate it by hand from the engine bay).

If thats not it, idle stabilizer is the next possibility. I know when my car's would stick...idle would be 1500rpm and it would take forever for the revs to drop down.

good luck!

--adrial
Old 02-18-2002, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Great thanks for the help, guys...I will check it out this weekend.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have the same problem on my '87 944S. Except mine only 'hangs' for about a second before coming down. Let me know if you find anything, and I'll do the same.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: