Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fires right up but then dies

my 84 944 will crank and start up fine but then immediately dies like it's not getting enough fuel. I can press on the gas and make hit about 1500 rpms but then the same thing happens. I've cleaned my AFM and was wondering if it could be a clogged or leaking fuel injector. Some of the last cranks i could smell rich gas from the engine, i hope i didn't flood it. Is there anyway of visually inspecting the injectors or fuel pump to rule out the cause? There was no signs of this the when I drove it earlier that morning in the rain.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

A couple easy checks:

Use your spare DME/Fuel pump relay. If you do not have a spare make a jumper-
DME Relay Information and Testing

Check the FPR and the FPD for leaks by pulling off the vac hose and looking for drops of gas.

No way to visually inspect the injectors without pulling them out.

A pressure guage on the fuel rail would tell if the injectors are getting enough fuel pressure.

Clarks has a trouble shooting section:
Troubleshooting - Engine

Maybe the car went in a deep puddle and will dry out by morning. It could be an electrical short.

GL
John
Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You know The car will also fire up and die if the AFM is not connected. and if you got a HUGE vac leak. In my case i forgot to connect the vac hose that is behind the Intake Manifold next to were the OIl dipstick mounts
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
This might not be of much help, but I've just got a 924S up and running. It was doing a similar thing according to the PO. By the time I got it it was not even firing a little bit. I thought it was no fuel but actually it was no spark (smell of fuel makes me think you might have a no spark rather than no fuel problem).

On mine, turned out it was a bad DME (water damaged from leaking batt tray) - luckily I had another one to test it (started right up).

The troubleshooting guides on Clark's are extremely useful and easy to follow.

Good luck

Mike

1986 924S, White, donor car, part way through disassembly.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Helped a friend of mine troubleshoot his car with the same symptoms recently. Turned out to be a bad DME like MrTibbs pointed out. In my personal experience, once the DME relay goes bad your engine will just turn over and it won't fire at all.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Since its an early 944, wouldn't it use the same ignition switch as the 924? The one prone to breaking and causing symptoms similar to this:

Turn key, starts, runs, release key, dies.

Just curious. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S (Silver Rose)
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat22turbo View Post
Since its an early 944, wouldn't it use the same ignition switch as the 924? The one prone to breaking and causing symptoms similar to this:

Turn key, starts, runs, release key, dies.

Just curious. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
IDK if you're right, but I know I do have a new ignition switch in there, it was the culprit to my last no start issue. Can I jump the DME and see if that's the problem?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nevermind, answered my own question, will try to jump the DME.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Okay, i jumped my DME with the paper clip method. I heard my fuel pump engaging. Car would fire up but still would die.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
When it dies, do you still have spark?

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepellegrini View Post
When it dies, do you still have spark?
I wouldn't you. How would I test for it (sorry for the ignorance)?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Well the easist way - if you have a spare spark plug - is just pull one of the plug wires and hook up the spare plug and sit it on the intake manifold - or somewhere else where it's grounded. Then crank the car over and see if there's a spark.

If you don't have a spare plug, you can insert a screwdriver or something else and sit it so it has a small (maybe 1/8" or 1/16") clearance from a grounding point.

A proper spark will be nice and fat kinda blue.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: