Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Buying new struts, any wisdom 4 me?

Would like to replace the struts on my 87 N/A 944. No special suspension option to my knowledge. So... There's Boge, Koni, Sachs (or is Sachs-Boge one company??) Bilstein, and KYB. Had KYB gas-ajusts' put on in the rear, not sure what to do with the front. I've been unsuccessful in trying to figure out which ones of all these brands will work on my car. Any an all info as always, is greatly appreciated. Would like to go for a "tight" yet stock feel in the front.

Scott

1966 912
1969 911 E
1986 944 N/A
Old 02-21-2002, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you're looking for a stock feel, then go with Boge or Sachs since those are the OEMs. If you're willing to tolerate a harsher ride to get better handling, then Koni or Bilstein. Bilsteins are the best, but also the most expensive. KYB is cheap and may feel ok at first, but they wear out quickly from what I've heard.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
if the struts themselves are okay, but you want crisper handling while still maintaining comfortable ride quality, what about adjustable sway bars front & back?

Old 02-21-2002, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Had KYB on the rear of 2 cars, 914 & 924t. Replaced the 914 with yellow Bilstein when doing a suspension upgrade to heavier springs. Repaced the 924t with yellow Koni when doing CV maintenance & replacing wheel bearing.

On the 924t KYB were still good, 80 - 90,000 mi since I got car with them, but I could tell a difference with Koni.

On 914 with heavy tosion bars in front, could use the adjustable dampening of Koni instead of Bilstein.

drew1
Old 02-23-2002, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am also thinking about replacing my front and rear shocks. I got a 88' 944S, does anyone know do I have to replace the whole strut for the front? Or can I just replace the insert? It since like my front is a seal strut..by the way, it's black in color not yellow. Also, is it necessary to replace the shock bumper when replacing the shock? Both front and rear?

Great thanks for any advise
Old 02-24-2002, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Black indicates Boge. I would inspect your shock bumpers and replace them as necessary.

AFJuvat
Old 02-25-2002, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Koni Yellow Adjustables.

All you need.

-g
Old 02-25-2002, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ditto on the Koni Yellows
Old 02-25-2002, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

koni

yes. the koni yellows will work as an insert for your black boges. you'll have to cut the sealed struts and put in the new konis.. about 150 each..

question. i've got white bilsteins on my rear.. these aren't the sports are they? the PO put them on and I am bottoming out HARD when I turn at 60 and go over a short-hop hill.. drives me nuts!

I HOPE that I can just get some sports and fix the rear.. they are new shocks, but they are the white ones.. i think that's the problem.. anyone know?

Old 02-25-2002, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: