Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

a/c system on 86 951

I just bought an 86 951 and the a/c was not working, but the PO had replaced the compressor and dryer, but had not recharged the system.

I took it in to charge it (r12) and all was fine.. later that day it was blowing only hot air intermittently.. i took it back and the schrader valve was leaking.. very bad.. it spewed everywhere when he took off the cap.. i was down to 1lb of freon.. (the shop won't refund either) so i go to the dealership and no other leaks were found and they fix my schrader valve. it was just stuck.

now though it won't get pressure on the low side.. (where it should be 35 psi on the machine after filling it.. i think that's the low side right?)

anyway, it won't get cold on the hose that the schrader valve is on.. (it had gotten cold the day before when i charged it the first time)

the dealer thinks the expansion valve is stuck open .. possibly debris.. (it wasn't flushed before charging it)..

SOLUTIONS?:

a. flush the system, hope the valve 'unsticks'?

b. replace expansion valve, hope that was it?

c. any other???

if i go with b., i was told by some that the expansion valves on the car is very hard to get to and would be like 10-11 hours to replace.. not happy.. i'd have to opt to do it myself. is this true though? one guy told me the later than 85.5 cars are much easier and can be accessed from the engine compartment. any ideas?

i certainly do appreciate any response, or help in where to look further.

btw, i emailed scottewid this also because he seems pretty knowledgeable about this.. any additional responses would really be great!

Old 02-25-2002, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would shoot for a total evacuation, followed by flushing it, then a leak test.

Yes, it is true, your expansion valve is in a rather difficult position, While I doubt it is 11 - 12 hours labor to get at it, you would still be looking at a few hundred dollars in labor.

Replacement of the expansion valve entails removing a good portion of your interior (instrument cluster, center console, ductwork, , removal of the AC/Heater unit as well as underhood/firewall access right behind your valve cover (difficult on a turbo).

In my opinion, this is not a DIY unless you are very familiar with what you are doing. If you really want instructions, drop me a line and I will give you the steps.

AFJuvat
Old 02-25-2002, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thank you. i probably would leave it to the shop i found that works porsches.. i wonder if you'd or anyone would have access to the shop manual to give me what it says is labor time for a job like this?

replacing expansion valve.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the epa mandates that the tech. who works on a/c. res. or auto.,, 1994 is responceable to ensure that there are no leaks in the system, i hope he /she is a certified tech. they have to fix it for free. its a 10000 dollar fine for every ounce blown of into the air... if you want to blow the whisile ,, theres a reward too,,, 10,000 grand...but if you took it to jimmys cousins garage, not worth blowing the whisile on jimmy,,,put him out of business,,,, and have to watch your back... no not a realistic thing... but a big company.... weigh your options......???????

know the law,find the flaw

load the round, stand your ground

get what you paid for.

cruzin in ventura , ca

certified tech.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have the service manual - it doesn't give estimated labor hours, but looking at the procedure, I would venture to guess at least 5 to 7 hours, including Evac, flush and refilling the AC

AFJuvat
Old 02-25-2002, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

epa

I actually looked into reporting the guy. he really pissed me off. (the owner) and asked him if he could give me the number to the EPA.. he he... he said. "what is that, a threat?" and hung up on me.. i was pretty pissed.. I'll be reporting the guy.. ESPESCIALLY now that you tell me there is a chance for a reward.. i did not know that.. i knew the 10,000 fine, but for each ounce?? man this guy is in for a HUGE loss! (from 36.5 ounces.. he over filled, to 16 ounces removed after the 7 hours i drove it) then when he filled it again, the schrader valve went nuts! stuff going all over.. (i think he actually drank some accidentally.. not good)

anyway.. S C Autosports in GrandPrairie TX is supposed to fit me in next week to look at it and see what can be done.. i hope it's not over a grand.
i just paid cash for the car and had to stretch to do that..

Old 02-25-2002, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: