Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 as daily driver

Hi all,

What does everyone think of using a 86 na 944 for a daily driver? I saw an ad in the paper and called about a 86 944 with 120K, AC, CC, electric seats, pw, sunroof, factory alarm for $3500. Car has new rotors/pads in front, new pads in back, new radiator, water pump, timing belt, harmonic belt, clutch. (New as in last 3000 miles) Owner states the leather seats need to be recovered. Owners dad purchased new in 86 he inherited it in 93 sat in garage since 98. Has replaced injector and is having AC serviced, recent smog check. The dad had the car serviced by local porsche dealer and did everything they recommended according to the son.

I haven't had a chance to look at the car yet but I am interested. I have a 71 911 T but don't feel comfortable using it for a daily driver. Would like to get something more fun than my 88 Toyota Corolla FX for a daily driver. I enjoy working on cars but don't know the specifics of the 944. Also, when I say I enjoy working on cars I don't want to NEED to work on the car just to keep it running if that makes sense. Seems most if not all of the problem areas have been recently addressed. Any other surprises or areas of concern?

'02 Sampson Titanium, Campagnolo 20 speed roadbike, daily commuter, 3,700 miles and counting

'71 911 T Targa for fun
'89 BMW 325i sedan wife' ride
'83 BMW 533i White/Cardinal red leather, Wet weather commuter
'89 BMW 535i auto to 5 speed conversion in progress
'98 Ford F-150 weekend hauler
Old 02-25-2002, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Craig,

Be very careful, first you start with a 944 daily driver, then it's how can I get a little more power from this car? Then it's damn I love this car, but...just a little more power, then next thing you know, you're scouring the country looking for a 951!

Seriously though, they make great daily drivers. They are an absolute ball to drive and they love to be driven. Sounds like the one you're looking at has had most if not all of the major areas covered. I would recommend a PPI and ask the current owners about records, but other than that, welcome to the wonderful world of waterpumpers, you're life may never be the same
Old 02-25-2002, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Craig
944 makes a good daily driver. I purchased a rough 83 944 for just that purpose. I have spent a lot of time fixing up a lot of little issues and now enjoy the commute every day.

The one you are talking about sounds like a solid runner. I would go down to the dealer that serviced the car and see if they know it. Some times they are willing (techs) to talk about what they have seen and what they think about the car. Some times they are less than cooperative.... but it is worth you time to try. Then get a PPI at a different dealer or certified and trusted Porsche mechanic that is familiar with the issues on the 944s.

Good luck with it. There are plenty out there so if this guy will not move on his price and you are the least bit unsure.... pass on it and look for another.

Eric
Old 02-26-2002, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Craig,
These guys are absolutely right - get a good PPI. I cannot stress this enough. But as for using a 944 as a daily driver, I am doing this too. It has 136,000mi on it and still runs like a champ. These cars are pretty reliable, but its all about preventive maintenance. When the weather gets warm, I spend some time every Sunday just checking things on it over a beer. Its fun; you'll love it.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. To add to my previous post all work has receipts. I plan on a PPI if after looking at and driving the car I am still interested. The seller seems like a pretty upright guy at least over the phone. He is having the AC serviced because it blew hot air, said that if other things turn up he is willing to fix them as long as they are only a couple hundred. He also indicated he would take $3400 since the seats need replaced/repaired.

How long have you been using your 944 for a daily driver? What would you estimate annual maintenance expenses to be?

'02 Sampson Titanium, Campagnolo 20 speed roadbike, daily commuter, 3,700 miles and counting

'71 911 T Targa for fun
Old 02-26-2002, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. To add to my previous post all work has receipts. I plan on a PPI if after looking at and driving the car I am still interested. The seller seems like a pretty upright guy at least over the phone. He is having the AC serviced because it blew hot air, said that if other things turn up he is willing to fix them as long as they are only a couple hundred. He also indicated he would take $3400 since the seats need replaced/repaired.

'71 911 T Targa for fun
Old 02-26-2002, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
The 944 is a great daily driver, and very dependable when properly maintained. If place a greater emphasis on speed, then maybe you should look into a 944 turbo. As everyone has said before, the PPI is an absolute must. The car seems to have all the major things in order, and at that price it is probably a good deal. Maybe try to bargain down a little more because getting the seats re-upholstered could be a little costly.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: