Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Driving COLD

Do you guys have problems driving when it's cold.. do you have to wait for the car to get warm before driving because it is like driving on 2 cylinders when it's cold?

just wondering if my new toy shivers as much as everyone elses does.

Old 02-26-2002, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have to hold my foot on the gas when I first start it otherwise the idle is too low. It goes away in a minute. Car has always done that since I bought it at 90K miles in 1996. I think there is a sensor on the block that tells the DME to richen the mixture until engine temperature rises. Someone on this list said it's the sensor with the blue top. The other sensor is for your temperature gauge. Perhaps someone else will comment.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I also have a 951 that is a little sluggish in the cold. After about a minute it smooths out and is fine. I've heard that this is fairly common.
Fuchs
Old 02-26-2002, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mine runs cold and hard for about a minute as well... if it's REALLY cold, and for some reason I'm driving it, then it runs hard for maybe two minutes.
Once it's idled for a couple of minutes it's great.
1997 Sentra (unclaimed!)
Old 02-26-2002, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Cold weather here is 40 degrees! No problems cold starting, I just get it out to the street and up to 3k RPM as quickly as possible and leave it there until the water temp. reaches the operating temp. bar.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yeah... sluggish for about a minutew of 3k driving
02' Suzuki GSX-R 600
Old 02-26-2002, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
yep, same here. i think what happens when you first start driving on a cold engine is the dme tells wastegate to release most of the air until the car gets warm.

Old 02-26-2002, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
yeah, my engine is very sluggish and slow to build revs when the weather is cold (like today!). this usually goes away after a few minutes. Also, my transmission is hard to put in gear in cold weather until the car warms up. dunno if this is normal of if i need tranny fluid, I'll get it checked out later this week.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i'm a little sluggish when i wake up too..
Old 02-26-2002, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Same story here...I've been looking for a solution to it.

Anyone?

CD
Old 02-26-2002, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Bear in mind that revving it up and staying around 3k from a dead cold start in winter weather in NOT good for the engine. Heck, even in warm weather for that matter. Always good to let the oil slowly lube up the engine entirely so it doesn't wear anything. But if you're in a hurry in the morning - like I usually am - try to keep the rpms down for the first few minutes.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

thanks guys good info..

one thing i am concerned with is when it is cold (40 or so) not only is it a bit sluggish for a little when i start it up, ,but there is a bit of hesitation and it's a bit jerky even after it's warm.

i'm changing my oil today.. btw, where do you lift these cars to get under them??? and is there a difference between the oil filter of a 944 and a turbo 951?

but maybe that will help.. and if not, i'll do a tune up.. (not myself).

what do you guys pay for tune ups? and how often do you do them?

thanks
Old 02-27-2002, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

hey Nabeel difficulty putting shifter in place is another thing that happens for me too when cold... lately with the weather varying so much here in NJ it's been easy to see difference between cold/warm driving.... Yesterday I took off the top and drove w/windows down and this morning it was snowing! wow

Pat
02' Suzuki GSX-R 600
Old 02-27-2002, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
yeah, its freezing over here also. on monday it was 60+ degrees though, and i also was driving with the roof off. werid weather, that's for sure. I can't wait till spring
Old 02-27-2002, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Dude, your suppose to warm the car up before you drive it. That goes for any car! What does it take like 2 minutes? I always let my car warm up. When the engine is warm, I then drive it slowly in 1st and 2nd until the tranny warms up too. Very rough when its cold. On my "S" when I start the car the DME performs short burst REV's until the car is stable. When cold the idle is about 200 rpm higher the normal operating temp. When warm the car idles down to 800rpm flat.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

overkill: The manual says NOT to let it warm up, but to just get in and drive. Do you think this is no longer true for our cars now that they're 15 years old?

Any way you look at it, the first 2-3 minutes of running a car is the most damaging aside from those corners at redline

CD
Old 02-28-2002, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

cduke is right. Get in and drive... easy... until warmed up. Don't 'drive it like you stole it' until she's in the normal range for temp.
Fuchs
Old 02-28-2002, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
What? Are you kinding me? Im suppose to drive my car cold? How is that? Also, I remember reading about something like after a long drive, im suppose to let the car sit in park slightly above idle speed to prevent build up of heat? Is that true? Cuase my car gets hotter!
Old 02-28-2002, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Your car doesn't get hotter, only your water temperature gets hotter because the heat is going from the block/head aluminum to the water. Far less heat is generated at idle than when producing car motion. Your temperature gauge reads water temperature, not metal temperature. If you shut your engine off, then turn the key just enough so gauges come on (but not start), you should see your temperature gauge rise. This is because there is little to no circulation without the main water pump running. The metal is hotter than the water, so the heat goes into the water and causes its temperature to rise along with a rise in pressure due to vapor pressure increase. That is why some vehicles spit out a little coolant when you shut them off if you overfill. There is less vapor space when overfilled causing the pressure to rise beyond where the reservoir cap can sustain it.

Purpose of letting the car idle for a couple of minutes is to remove some heat from the turbo. When there is no call for boost, less exhaust goes through the turbine part of it. The intake air going through it, although less than when car is in motion, tends to cool along with the water jacket.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

The first part is true. Check the Click and Clack (NPR) website -- they have a bunch of tips on how to make your car last longer (they also have a book -- in fact, I'm not sure wether they still have the stuff on the website or whether they MAKE you buy the book). They recommend driving easy until the car is warm -- not idling unitll warm. First, the car warms up sooner because there is a little load on it. Also, the oil pressure comes up to where it should be -- at idle some have reported less than ideal oil pressure at idle.

The second part is a bit more complicated. For us 951 owners we have a cute little water pump that stays on and continues to cool the turbo to help eliminate 'soak-back' from the turbo (heat transfering from the turbo back to the engine and engine compartment) after the engine is off. Water temp goes up though total stored heat (metal temperature) is going down.

The same thing can happen from a really hot exhaust/head in a N/A (the turbo as well). The heat stored in the hot parts of the engine transfer back to the rest of the engine after shut-down. When you are parked and idling, the cooling system is not as efficient (there have been some previous posts about this topic). Air is not going through the radiator with the same mass flow and air is not getting getting sucked out of the engine compartment from bernuli effects (caused by lower pressured air at a higher velocity outside the engine compartment) like when the car is in motion.

I'll give you my opinnion as to the proper shut-down sequence. The last several minutes of driving should be easy but at 35-45 mph minimum where possible (a little less if you are on residentual streets). Let air flow by the engine and the cooling system do it's job. The cherry-red exhaust will then become just skin-searing hot. Pull in the driveway and shut it off. Put the car cover on As Overkill has observed the car heats up at idle running in the driveway. This is because there is now less efficient cooling while the car continues to generate more heat.

Bottom line on the shut-down is: Don't ride it hard and put it away wet!!

Fuchs

Last edited by kenny; 02-28-2002 at 08:27 AM..
Old 02-28-2002, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: