Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy rear wheel bearings

The rear wheels bearings on my 1983 944 appear to be worn. There is a rhythmic wum-wum noise from the rear, increasing with speed, also present when coasting and in neutral.
I jacked it up last night and there is a slight bit of play in both rear wheels, BUT, only when holding the top and bottom of the tire, NOT when pushing/pulling on the side of the tire. So, no play side-to-side, slight play top-to-bottom. There is no change in this when the tire is rotated to a new position.
The tranny bearings were replaced about 2000 miles ago, and the CVs are new. Also no apparent play in trailing arm bushings. I do not see why a worn bearing should not give a symmetrical response to a wiggle.
Any thoughts???
Old 02-26-2002, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i had the exact same issue in my 924. it sound like rear wheel bearings indeed! buy the bearings (all of them together should be $100 for all the bearings and seals in total), and then have them pressed in at a local muffler/brake shop. it will make a HUGE difference in your car.

good luck!

obin
Old 02-26-2002, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A couple of months back I replaced the wheel bearings on my '83. The wheels had a slight wiggle when the car was jacked up, although I can't remember if it was up & down or side to side. The noise was definitely there. I did the work at home and it took about 4-5hrs. You can get the bearings in and out by carefully using a good piece of wood as a drift punch.
Obin is right; it's about $100 for all the bearing and seals. I would recommend changing them soon. When I took mine apart, the inner race on the left outermost bearing had cracked. There is a o-ring that sits behind the hub that was worn flat. I think it may have let water into the bearings. It may have been only a matter of time before the wheel seized.
I would also recommend using some emery cloth on your half shafts, to take off all the burnt grease that you'll probably find.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

before the 924 wheel bearings were replaced, they wobbled up-and-down and not the in-and-out like the front ones would. the bearings were badly worn when they were replaced. the labor for doing all the work was $100 at the local Monro muffler/brake. very easy job if you have a hydraulic press... very PITA if you don't.

make sure you get all new seals! a leaky seal is what kills the bearings because moisture and dirt get in and destroy them.

obin
Old 02-26-2002, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A really tough part is breaking the axle nut loose without an impact wrench, about an 8 to 10 ft piece of 1 1/4 pipe & a breaker bar. Forgot the sizes but seals can be driven in with PVC pipe & or couplings. You want to be careful & not let the lock ring go flying.

drew1
Old 02-26-2002, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: