Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Craig944[951]
Anyone put something other than 4x6's for rear speakers? (944 turbo)

I'm just checking to see if there are any specific speakers that will simply screw into place of the stock 4x6's, that are larger than 4x6 =). Let me know if you've done anything like this or know of anything that works. Thanks

It's, the, return of the price, the boss
This is real hardcore, Honda-Acura & Mitsubishi's soft
Sip cris', get chips, wrist gliss, I floss
Stick, shift, look sick up in that Turbo Po'sh
Old 02-27-2002, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bob's944
Lightbulb

I think most of the responses your going to get is they need to be the special 4"x6"m speaker. Then you already know you don't get a heluva lot of choices from there. You didn't mention if you are running an external amp or not. Most all those speakers are going to have trouble with the bass at high power, even the 35-40Wx4 receivers. The way to deal with it is to have a subwoofer and filters to remove the low end from the stock speakers front and back. As far as what's available speakerwise ... Blaupunkt's PCxi462 can take 120W.... they would be capable with a 480W amp driving them, plus a subwoofer. The bazooka bass tubes can fit under cargo cover behind the rear seats is an option and they are available both powered and unpowered. Cheapest solution is stock sys with line filters on all 4 existing speakers and a powered sub tapping the stock speaker lines. Most amps have options for filtering built in, but you can buy them for a single speaker line also. The speakers you have already might be OK if they weren't dealing with the bass.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It seems like I've heard over and over that the fronts have to be the 4x6m but the rears don't because of the flairs in the rear quarter panels. There is supposed to be almost 3" of depth for the rears. I haven't put my rears in yet so i can't speak of it for sure.

try searching google for 944 stereo faq or something of the sort.

CD
Old 02-27-2002, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So if I understand correctly, regular 4X6 will not fit in the front. What is the 4X6m, how is it different. I don't think anyone makes a 4x6m speaker in the plate form, they are probably coaxial ? Is this true. Putting plate speakers in the front would be great.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

Craig I ended up modding the back of my car so i don't have to remove the panel just to put the speakers in...Just cut into the panel and screw the speaker into it. Email me if you want more info on it... The job takes about 45 minutes.

email: pors944@earthlink.net

1987 928 S4 - 3" Single Exhaust after cats
1999 Mercedes C280 Sport Package
2003 Mercedes ML350
Old 02-27-2002, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: