Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
desperate sunroof help

I have no power going to my sunroof motor and in turn have checked to find no power to the centre (a) terminal on the main fusebox sunroof relay.
I have checked everything that the clarks manual says and have even put a live to the relay terminal with no joy.
Is there something Iam missing and would I be better rewiring tthings to have my roof running again...if so how?
It is driving me mad now and would appreciate any advice please.
My car is a 1986 944 Lux model
many thanks

Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
does your sunroof just stops or maybe not working for a long time?
what exact not work?

i have a similar problem on a 86 car,(no 12V on A)someone did strange conection in the central electric and i can repair it(i think something wrong with the radio conections)

so i remove conection from one of the rear limit switch and cut of the speedo cable/signal from the sunroof operating switch(console)
the sonroof goes up and down all the way,only take atention not realese it until end.

also try to change main fuses,main relay,sunroof window switch,console switch....
it's very complex the diagram....
chrysler 300M
6 x 924 and 944 canibalized or death
Old 05-30-2011, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
There are two relays back on the left side(Drivers), under the carpet at the sun roof motor check those. There is also a micro switch under the plastic cover just in front of the sunroof itself, check that also.

Report back - there is help here
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ive swapped the following from a donor car with no joy:
sunroof switch,motor,fr micro switch,all relays,ignition switch,fuses and still not worked.The roof motor just stopped one day and with my fault tracing I came up with no feed to terminal A on the main relay and in turn nothing at the motor.
I have looked at the wiring diagram and would like to understand which wires I would bypass if I was making my own wiring unless there is a better way?
Appreciate all replies thank you.This is so annoying now
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmakovac View Post
does your sunroof just stops or maybe not working for a long time?
what exact not work?

i have a similar problem on a 86 car,(no 12V on A)someone did strange conection in the central electric and i can repair it(i think something wrong with the radio conections)

so i remove conection from one of the rear limit switch and cut of the speedo cable/signal from the sunroof operating switch(console)
the sonroof goes up and down all the way,only take atention not realese it until end.

also try to change main fuses,main relay,sunroof window switch,console switch....
it's very complex the diagram....
Hi Kristian what colour wires did to cut or connect to make this work?
Many thanks
Alan
Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Can anybody help me to identify where the wire from the centre (a)terminal on the main sunroof relay goes to? As this terminal is not live when it should be,where can I bypass a suitable live from.
Any help would be much appreciated to cure my sunroof
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
i don't know if it's the same on an 86 but on my 83 and 84 there is another relay for the sunroof in the center console behind the radio - this relay activates the radio/power antenna and the retracting mode on the sunroof when the ignition key is inserted - you can get to this relay by removing the cardboard panel under the dashboard near the drivers right knee ( on a NA model - left hand drive ) - this relay was bad on mine - even though it still activated the antenna and radio it would not activate the sunroof - good luck
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
No mine is different as the aerial is built into the front screen.The main problem is no power to the relay and I did put a new power there to see what happens but it still didnt work.
I wonder if it is possible to rewire the roof so that I have power to the motor via the switch cutting out micro switches etc or is this a bad idea?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
The sunroof system is wired in tandem with two relays. The one in Front (Just front of the sun roof) sets the condition for the for the sunroof to go up. The other micro switch (Back by the motor) sets the condition for the sunroof to go down. Somehow you would have to re-wire with two different systems for the up and down motions. Probably different relays and different wiring to the sunroof motor it's self.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I have no power to my sunroof motor and also to the centre terminal(a) on the sunroof main relay in the fusebox.I have checked clarkes manual and have a workshop manual from porsche and I know the following work ok:
ignition switch,main relay and rear relays,sunroof rocker switch,sunroof motor,micro switch between visors,rear micro switches.
I have considered rewiring from the ignition switch all the way to the sunroof motor and wonder if this is a better option or is there something that Iam missing?
This problem is driving me mad and would appreciate any help.many thanks Alan .
Still have this problem and I havent a clue nowcan anybody please help even if there is a way to bypass any wiring to make the roof work

This was my original diagnosis I really dispair now as I just dont have any idea what to do next...any ideas would be soooo helpfull
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Well I replaced my fusebox today and I have some progress in that the sunroof arms will retract to release the roof ...however I have to manually wind the sunroof motor to lift the roof up Has anybody got an idea on this please?
Alan
Old 07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Replace the front micro-switch - in the headliner just in front of the sunroof - under the black center plastic piece there (one screw, center) - a new switch is soldiered in place, other wise you have to remove the headliner to replace the wire loom for plug & play.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococola View Post
Well I replaced my fusebox today and I have some progress in that the sunroof arms will retract to release the roof ...however I have to manually wind the sunroof motor to lift the roof up Has anybody got an idea on this please?
Alan
Did you ever figure this out? Same problem here - no 12V -terminal A
Old 02-04-2017, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Have you checked the micro switches?
One is located on the S.R. motor panel, the other is located between the sunvisors.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Yup. New micro switch between visors - others work fine
Old 02-04-2017, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

If anyone is still looking for info about the 944's sunroof operation, check out the below link to one of our site's DIY tech articles. If you have additional questions or need other details, please feel free to post a Comment just below the article and someone will get back to you with specifics.

944 Sunroof Operation

-Dmitry
Old 02-09-2017, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
If anyone is still looking for info about the 944's sunroof operation, check out the below link to one of our site's DIY tech articles. If you have additional questions or need other details, please feel free to post a Comment just below the article and someone will get back to you with specifics.

944 Sunroof Operation

-Dmitry
Excellent infos', say Dmitry, my 86 951, rear hatch switch makes a noise back there but wont release my hatch. Any idears?

Old 02-10-2017, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: