Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Method for Antifreeze change?

Anyone mind telling me the proper procedure for changing antifreeze in my '88 944 N/A? Isn't there a plug on engine block in addition to drain plug at bottom of radiator? I want to do it right, meaning get it "all" out of heater etc, and fill it up without getting air trapped in. I did a search but didn't find anything on this. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
Hi Harp, this is how i do it jack thew car up in the front and support on jackstands,get a pan and look under the radiator, you will see a blue screw this is the drain for the radiator.
Open it while this is draining get a socket ,13mm and ratchet and look between the #3 an 4 exhaust manifold on the side of the engine you will see a bolt head sticking out this is the block drain .
Open it let it drain, also you did open the heater to full hot
run some water thru the system till it flushes clear, some people remove the top hose to engine to further flush, anyway now for the important step take a plastic bag and cover the speed sensors in the rear of the engine block this is a hole to the clutch and if water gets in then you will toast your clutch, OK fit the 13 mm bolt with some thread sealant and refit the radiator drain screw,
Use Phosphate free coolant I use the Orange stuff made by Havoline it will say phos free on the bottle, you will need 2 gallons , pour in one gallon and a 1/3 of the next and then fill with water, also open the bleeder screw on the top where the top rad hose goes to the engine, keep filling till there is coolant coming out of the bleeder, close the bleed and start the car while it is still jacked up (the higher the front the better), Let it run open the bleeder a few times as the system gets hot you do have the resivour cap on now so the system will build pressure and the heater is still open to hot, after the engine runs for 5 mins open the bleeder again till there is no more air , run the engine at 2000 rpm for 2 mins , this will force coolant thru the heater core and fill it you will see there will now be more air from the bleeder, top, up with engine coolant as necessary after this let the car idle and see if your cooling system is working IE do the fans come on and shut off does the gauge stay where you want it to be IE half way or less?
OK so all is godd now shut the car off and very carfully hose off the coolant that has spilledyou trying not wet the rear of the engine where the speed sensors are the plastic cover is still in place correct? OK do this rinse with the car up on jacks it will get most if not all of the spilled coolant off the engine.
after this remove the plastic cover and let the car down , go out for a drive 10 mins or so make shure the heater is still on hot, after 10 mins stop and top up the system, with coolant..Boom your finished......Stan
Also as a side note if any hoses are soft from getting oil on them or dryed out from old age replace them before you refill with the fresh coolant, hoses are very cheap compared to a busted hose on you favorite long road trip
Old 03-02-2002, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: