Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Drain Tank via Fuel Rail

Anyone got a suggested setup for this? Maybe a quick disconnect fitting that screws onto the rail?

TIA

rasta

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Wouldn't that need to suck it all through the pump and filter?

Any reason why you don't want to drain it by disconnecting the hose that goes from pump to tank?

Mike

1986 924S, White, donor car, part way through disassembly.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTibbs View Post
Any reason why you don't want to drain it by disconnecting the hose that goes from pump to tank?
Yes. . .it is something I will be doing often.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I see.

What about syphoning it through the filler? Sorry, I'm sure you know all the options, just interested in the advantages of doing it via the fuel rail.

Mike

Old 07-27-2011, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Main advantage. . .flip a switch, hook a hose to the rail, fuel pump rapidly empties tank.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Well, a couple of questions:

Can you just disconnect the return line and replace it with a line to your container of choice?

Then just jumper the fuel pump relay?

If you can, that would drain the tank. It won't completely drain the tank (fuel cell) and you'll add extra wear to your pump and filter. Especially if you let the pump run while dry as the pumps are usually cooled by the fluid.

I might use a siphon pump instead. Once started, the siphon should run on its own until the pickup is uncovered. I think I picked one up for cheap from a sporting goods store.

Make sure the tank is above the container and drain away.
1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S (Silver Rose)
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Proprietoristicly Refined

Too complicated.

Go back to the basics. When fuel pump gets to the bottom of the tank it could damage the pump with debris ---your tank is clean right?

Gas siphon pump or similiar. Not Harbor Freight!

Amazon.com: Triple Seven Safety Siphon Self Priming Pump: Automotive

And you can use it when you run out of gas camping.

John
Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

you're going to catch your car on fire. not that i care about you, rasta. the thing is, i don't like the idea of any 944 seeing that kind of end. whatever you put on there is eventually going to leak, and it's going to run right down onto the hot exhaust.

john is right, but you won't want to listen to his wisdom, i'm sure.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta Monsta View Post
Anyone got a suggested setup for this? Maybe a quick disconnect fitting that screws onto the rail? TIA
rasta
Quote:
Quote:
Main advantage. . .flip a switch, hook a hose to the rail, fuel pump rapidly empties tank.
The alternative is to have a single modified tank with 2 fuel cells.

With the correct fuel lines, you could still use the single fuel pump with an electric change over valve.

John
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
doesn't get much easier than undoing a hose clamp on the tank-pump hose..
Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
To add to the suggestion of using a syphon - I've used one designed for oil changes a couple of times (which you're really not supposed to do because of the possibility of a static charge burning you to the ground). That has a really thin tube to get down the dipstick tube. Even wiggling it to try to get it right to the bottom didn't result in getting all the fuel out. Still had a few litres that only came out when I removed the tank to pump hose.

How about putting one of those ultra-expensive hose fittings half way along the tank to pump hose? one of the quick release ones so you don't have to keep unscrewing and re-tightening the hose.

The people I know of who empty tanks most often over here are breakers' yards. They do it by drilling a hole in the lowest point of the tank. Point being that if there were an easier and quicker way of syphoning or pulling through another route they'd probably have thought of it.

Mike

Old 07-27-2011, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Or how about putting a small custom tank built to fit the rear wheel well? It looks like it could hold at least 5 gallons or more of 100 (+) octane racing fuel.

This dual purpose tank setup could still use the same fuel pump with the correct fittings.

John
Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

winter-hater club member

remove front cap from fuel rail, don't lose the steel sealing ball.

attach hose of suitable size over threads and secure with a hose clamp.

jumper pump so that it pumps all the fuel from the tank. (i cannot see a reason why you would need to do this OFTEN, but....)

remove hose clamp and hose.

replace cap and sealing ball.

done.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

exactly. I just did this on my car.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
OK, I'll report back on what I decide to do.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

That test port is your best friend and I use it every fall to pump out my tanks (I no longer drive my p-cars in winter). Not sure if Pelican offers the fitting but it is no longer a missing mystery and you could probably cobble together a set up similar to this for about $12...Bruce

Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Thanks, Bruce! I have a great hose shop here locally, I will document what I end up using.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: