Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cam belt and water pump service

I just picked up another 944 and I don't know when or if the cambelt and water pump service was done last. It's an 84. I have no idea what parts I need as there are so many options so if someone could be so kind to help me with what I need it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joe

84 944
05 Range Rover HSE
Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Camshaft (timing) belt
Balance Belt
rollers
offset wrench
pin wrench
some way to measure tension (Porsche tool, kriket, intuition)
metric sockets

Don't forget to mark your balance shaft sprockets before removing them (don't ask how I know)

Good luck, just did mine.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Oh, and a torque wrench.

GHEN
Old 07-31-2011, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I don't have the time or skill to attempt the timing belt service so I will be taking it in. I'll be ordering parts off here but i'm unsure of which ones I need to order. I guess you need a conversion kit for the early 944 to put in a late style water pump as well?

84 944
05 Range Rover HSE
Old 07-31-2011, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Where are you? If you are in central Ohio I'll help you. I did it myself and although time consuming it was not at all difficult. All I had was jack-stands, a work light, and the items above.

I got my parts off of Rennbay and decided on the Kevlar timing belt, I am sure that Pelican has everything you need as well.

Honestly unless money is no object I would just do it yourself. I learned a lot about the car.

GHEN
Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to MPitt
GHEN, is there an advantage to the kevlar belt? I saw it asked in another topic but didn't see an answer. I was shopping around for parts for the job and wasn't sure if the higher cost of the kevlar belt would be justified in any way such as longer life span perhaps?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I am located in Wisconsin. Thank you for the offer though. I might just read how to do it and see how tough it really would be to do.

I am also curious about the kevlar belt. Is it really worth it?

84 944
05 Range Rover HSE
Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
The Kevlar belt is stronger and is nowhere near as susceptible to being eaten by the odd spray of oil as a neoprene belt.

You don't have to change it after 3 years no matter the mileage as you are supposed to with a neoprene belt.

Although the stated service interval is the same (35,000 miles), the people who designed the Kevlar belt tell me that in their cars they routinely run them twice that (70,000 miles) before replacing them. I just put mine in, and I will pull and inspect at 35,000 but am not planning on replacing then.

Kevlar is stronger, if it was available for anything approaching reasonable price, I am sure Porsche would have made the originals that way. The big thing for me is that a neoprene belt can lose strength through age while sitting in the box...I would rather spend the extra $100 and go with Kevlar. You save a lot more than $100 by doing the job yourself.

GHEN

BTW 951, my phone number is 260-2911 (area code 614). Call me and I can give you a quick run down of the procedure, so you can decide if you want to do it.

GHEN (Jerry)

Old 08-02-2011, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: