Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Greasy Member

Lower end tick.... DONT let it go!!!

Hey all, with race season in full swing I dont get to post as often as I should, but I wanted everyone to see this even though it was a rare situation...

The story:
In the last 2 months I have seen two engines where a con-rod bearing has spun and welded the rod to the crank! The first engine was one we had never touched before on cyl #2, the most recent was an engine we built just 5 days before the "blow up" but it happened on cyl #3.

In each case the engine was turning at or near redline during a race. I cannot say anything for the first engine (that actually BLEW the rod and piston through the oil pan cracking the block and spiltting the girdle in two.

As for the second engine, it was completely blueprinted, all rods magnafluxed. All it took was a small debris cut in a radiator hose to drain the coolant system overheating the oil to spin the #3 bearing. From this point the rod cracked and punched the piston back up 180 degrees off hitting the valves on the non-reliefed side of the piston, cracking the piston and destroying the cylinder. Although every effort was put into this engine, it was a cut $18 hose that blew it all.

Long story short..
If you hear a new "tick" or "click" or "slap" other than lifters or injectors STOP and investigate!!

I hate posting these but enjoy::

-Nick

-Yes, I'm the crazy man that will loan out my 9201. Just PM me, I will add you to the list and get it out ASAP.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

WOW!

Were the engines in one of the rental track cars you have?
If it was, more excitement for the driver!
Bennington Motorsports

Thanks Nick
John
Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
what was the temp gauge reading when the 2nd engine blew? could've probably saved it by turning it off........LOL
Old 08-01-2011, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Greasy Member

Thankfully, the motor we built wasn't in a rental car. It was however in one of our arrive and drive racers' car

Thankfully the debris cut in the rad hose was VERY obvious... It was sad though since the engine was setting some awesome lap times all day before the hose was cut!!

Fortunately as a shop owner & car/engine builder there is nothing I can do about track crap hitting a hose at 100+ mph thrashing an awesome engine... The best I can do (which is what Im currently doing) is build a new engine for the driver for the cost of parts with no labor charge.

--Note: this is not a primer for anyone running our engines to cut a hose for a discount rebuild

Just wanted to post this as a warning for anyone who has noticed a lower end noise as it is not something to be taken lightly! Though, I would hope most DD drivers aren't running their cars at 6300rpm on each shift around town though who am I to judge

-Nick
-Yes, I'm the crazy man that will loan out my 9201. Just PM me, I will add you to the list and get it out ASAP.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by many944s View Post
it was a cut $18 hose that blew it all.
just curious......what was the time frame of the elevated temp til destruction? not being a smartass, just have done this before and there was plenty of warning which i ignored (and paid for LOL)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Greasy Member

There's very few people I call smart ass... My 5yo daughter is the primary one

There was almost no warning at all (considering it was @ track speed) the driver (who is extremely competent) said he felt a slight power drop a couple of corners before the blow-up. shortly after the power drop the temp started to go up VERY QUICKLY, then.. well.. the final outcome

Of all the drivers I sponsor, I put %100 confidence into the skills of this guy! He knows how to check his gauges in every straight when he isnt fighting traffic (kudos to you Neal if your reading )

I probably shouldn't say this, but... he WAS driving both of the cars that had this failure. I'm just going to chalk it up to his ability to almost never trail brake and feather his clutch and throttle to an AMAZING extent. I drove open wheel for a long time, and I would be willing to bet he would give me one HELL of a run for my $$ in a FF, F500, or even F5000!!!

"Ok Neal, here's your chance to gloat"

-Nick
Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Send out that piston and have it rebuilt - lol
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Greasy Member

Rebuilt hell, this is the race world....
"It will buff right out"

-Nick
Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
It's cool, slap some JB weld on it, it'll be fine. Hee hawwwwwwww
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Greasy Member

****... JB weld!! Didnt even think of that!

I'll have to try that

-Nick
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hahaha! If only it were that simple eh? haha.

That's a pretty epic failure!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Greasy Member

Actually, that was a "soft" failure... I'll try to post pics tomorrow of the engine that "BLEW" the whole side of the block & pan out!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
That would be interesting to see!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Oh, OK - Time to get out the duct tape. You will also have to double check for leaks.

Once had a 3 cylinder that ran for two weeks. Blew the No. 2 piston and rod through the side of the block. Put a strap of leather and hose clamps on the crank to hold a little oil pressure and with a patch of tin with Gorilla Glue kept oil in the motor block hole. I would start it and at low RPM's it ran so rough...would settle out a little at higher RPM's.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
thanks for the explanation......i too will take some pics of one we have in the shop which met a similar fate......knife edged crank....GIANT hole and many many fragmented bits LOL
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Sorry to hear about the failure.

I have a couple extra pistons in my old block.

Speedy

Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: