Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
"official" MPG's

Now that my car is running great I decided to check and I am getting 26.5 mpg. Thats with a gps as my speedo is off there fore my odometer must also be off. Still all in all I think thats great and if I decided to drive less aggressive I suppose I could do much better..

my toys
Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fuel Economy of the 1987 Porsche 944

That said, 27ish highway is not uncommon, depending on how lead footed you are.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Oh by the way this is not high way but rather small towns and some country roads.
my toys
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Going up to Virginia this past summer, I averaged 27.8mpg. This was going off of odometer mileage, which we double checked against the GPS. While we were in Blue Ridge and Skyline having some fun, we averaged 25.5 mpg for the whole day. I was on a Road Rally, so I wasn't exactly babying the car
Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I am not getting anything near that. Maybe I need to look at my fuel filter & O2 sensor. Any other thoughts?

GHEN
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Ghen, does your car run well? Have you checked your air filter? Fuel regulator, can leak fuel into the vacuum line causing a rich run. Are your spark plugs good? gapped properly? My car was getting real bad mpg's because my temp sender for the computer had a bad connection. Just some ideas
my toys
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

without really trying, 30+ is easy
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan6272 View Post
Ghen, does your car run well? Have you checked your air filter? Fuel regulator, can leak fuel into the vacuum line causing a rich run. Are your spark plugs good? gapped properly? My car was getting real bad mpg's because my temp sender for the computer had a bad connection. Just some ideas
My car starts and runs well, but honestly I don't have a great frame of reference. I have never driven a 944 that I know for sure is all sorted out and proper. It corners like it is on rails, and makes me smile but I don't know if it is accelerating fine or not; dn't knoe if it sounds right or not.

I've only had this one since Father's Day 2011; I am going to do a major service soon (it has 85,350 on the clock so it would be due at 90,000 anyway).

After that I am going to learn how to find vacuum leaks. I don't know if I have one (or many), but it seems like a good thing to check out.

Before anyone mentions it, yes I just changed the timing belt and water pump.

GHEN
Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You could check the fuel injectors. I would HOPE that the PO wasn't a douche and had all the right injectors in there. Mine, well...lets just say I had an original 944 injector (bad), and ford truck injector, and two turbo injectors in my 944. Amazing how changing them to correct, working injectors helped not only the car run better, but also improve fuel consumption.

BTW, right before my trip I cleaned everything on the engine, replaced vacuum lines, and the sort. Meaning that the only part of my car that hasn't been worked on in the past two years is inside the transmission, and the bottom of the engine. Everything else has been looked at, gone through, and either cleaned or replaced. Getting 30mpg wouldn't have been hard had we not been having fun
Old 08-09-2011, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopps View Post
You could check the fuel injectors. I would HOPE that the PO wasn't a douche and had all the right injectors in there. Mine, well...lets just say I had an original 944 injector (bad), and ford truck injector, and two turbo injectors in my 944. Amazing how changing them to correct, working injectors helped not only the car run better, but also improve fuel consumption.

BTW, right before my trip I cleaned everything on the engine, replaced vacuum lines, and the sort. Meaning that the only part of my car that hasn't been worked on in the past two years is inside the transmission, and the bottom of the engine. Everything else has been looked at, gone through, and either cleaned or replaced. Getting 30mpg wouldn't have been hard had we not been having fun
Thanks I'll check the injectors (had planned on that at the 90,000 mark anyway). Can you steer me toward a "how to" on checking (and finding) vacuum lines?

Thanks!

GHEN
Old 08-09-2011, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
"Dude! You kicked my car.

Garage
For the injectors I recommend sending them to witch hunter to get rebuilt. That's what I did and I'm happy with the results. WitchHunter Performance - Injector Cleaning & Flow Testing Services
Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to uvachief
According to Fuel Economy you are right where you should be. I see people claim all the time that they get north of 27 mpg. Only thing I can think of is their odometer isn't working properly and is giving them a false reading. You would have to absolutely baby it on the highway at 55 mpgs to beat 27 mpg on regular gas which is the equivalent of today's premium (in 1986 you didn't have ethanol mixed in). The revised figures are 18 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. Combined mileage on ethanol blend is expected to be around 20. On real gas without ethanol or premium, maybe 23 town/27 highway.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Redline Racer

Yeah, I see between 25 and 27 combined, depending on how much is highway, sitting in traffic, short trips, etc. That's with premium and the way I drive, which is never taking it easy. I'm also running the short 5th gear, which puts the revs at ~3400 at 70 mph. The cars with the taller "american" 5th should be able to get 27-30 fairly easily on the highway, but my experience is the mileage my car gets is not affected much by how it's driven. I have to really beat on it for extended periods of time to drop my mileage noticably. Oh, how I love 4 cyls for that.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: