Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ebay coilovers?

Does anyone know anything about these coilovers? I'm guessing they're junk but I was just curious.

COILOVER Porsche 944 coilovers | eBay

Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

buying international for ebay coilovers? that just has too many strikes against it
Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That's what I was thinking but I was curious if anyone had bought them.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
adam's rotors

Send a message via AIM to adam's rotors
hardly junk...some of the best stuff out there for this car, among others.

they are currently producing an entirely custom race spec set-up for our S2.
full f&r kit w/torsion delete, adjustable dampening, camber plates, and helper springs up front.

we are building an extremely aggressively stanced 944 w/full trackability.
keep an eye out for our project...we are planning the unveil in another couple months or so.
http://www.facebook.com/adamsrotors

Last edited by adam's rotors; 08-10-2011 at 02:23 PM..
Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

would have been better if they showed a pic of the ones for the 944
Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
adam's rotors

they are...

here's specs for my particular set-up:
Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i don't think so

what year only had 3 upper mounting bolts?

what do they use for the rear, as obviously that pic shows 4 struts, and the 944 only has 2?

and to whomever developed the ad, that page is frustrating, you can't scroll down without it jumping all over the place

Last edited by flash968; 08-10-2011 at 06:52 PM..
Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to flosho Send a message via Yahoo to flosho
Fronts are easy..

What about the rears? Do they have a set that works with rear steel arms? Bet not, since GC hasn't even developed a set.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
what year only had only 2 upper mounting bolts? that's not good - the sheet metal is already insufficient in rigidity for increased load, as is evidenced by a number of them that i have seen that are ripped out - cutting the mounting down to 2 bolts would further increase stress

what do they use for the rear?

I'm gonna assume there are 4 upper bolts, but since the top piece is a cut away view it would just get too ambiguous to show all 4 bolts.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i originally posted 2, after scrolling down a bit on the ad, but then i looked more closely at the pic at the top, and they have 3?????
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
i originally posted 2, after scrolling down a bit on the ad, but then i looked more closely at the pic at the top, and they have 3?????
Yeah, I did the same. I scrolled down in the auction and noticed the honda/e30 sets have 2 upper bolts.

I just checked GC's website and their e30 kits have 3 strut mount bolts. So hopefully this company will go with the standard oem # of mounting bolts for the strut.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

yeah - like i said, it would have been better if they used a pic of the 944 setup

i'd still like to know what they use for the rear, as obviously you need to match front and rear valving

as a design thing, with a torsion bar rear suspension, any rear coilover would have to have a tender spring in addition to the helper spring, and a coupler between them, otherwise the spring will either fall loose during wheel drop, or it will add spring rate and raise the rear of the car

so, unless they just plan a torsion delete, i'd like to see what they came up with for a rear package
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

adam's rotors

^ that's because they have hundreds of applications & listing and make kits for any car...

it's almost as if you guys are looking for a reason to knock these kits.

here's a shot of a 944 w/camber plates: (that do not lift the ride height btw)

uses 4 bolts fellas, relax.

and here's a shot of the rear part:

realize they make rear shock only kits, coilovers that maintain the torsion bar, or ones (like mine) that remove it all together.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
It looks tired. . .is it resting?

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Sorry, I'm skeptical as well. And someone with so few posts lauding them... How do we know he isn't a shill for the seller?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
adam's rotors

because post count means everything...
I have my own company to "laud" about...
check us out, we're huge in the audi/VW world and know what we're doing.

think what you want, was just letting the OP know...he did make a thread asking about them after all.

I'm happy to spread the word about this company too.
the service, the parts, and the entire business model falls right in line with ours and we respect & support small business of this kind.
by all means, entertain your other option with $2500 kits from H&R and KW or bunk sets by ground control, it is what it is.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

i'm not taking pot shots at the product - i only thought the pic in the ad should have been the one for the 944 setup

for the record, i don't know anything about the product, but would like to know more

i can't tell from the shot, but are the bushings in the shocks spherical bearings? i ask, because since those are obviously for torsion bar delete, as they lack the tender spring, if the bushings are rubber or something like that, they won't last long with the entire load of the car on them - if they are not spherical bearings, can they be changed out for them?

is the valving adjustable on either the struts or shocks? if so how?

what are the spring ranges for the struts and shocks?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Does anyone know anything about Cusco or Selex in general? I can't seem to find out if they're any good to begin with.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Cusco is a well known brand in the japanese car circles. Never heard of Selex
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Can somebody post a link to their latest ad?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: