Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation Help! Lost J tube washer in cylinder head!!

I was replacing the cam tensioner pads on my 944S2 and while remounting the j tube I dropped one of the washers in the head and can't find it. It looks like their is an oil drain gallery at the bottom of the head behind the cylinder head nut. My best guess is that it fell down there.
Is there any way I can get the washer out? Does the oil drain return go back to the oil pan? Would it be worth while to drain the oil and see if it comes out?
If I can't get it out will it do any harm? Obviously if it is in the cylinder head it could get stuck in a spring or a cam and cause major problems but if I assume it fell down the oil drain gallery am I ok?
Help! What do I do??

Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do you have one of those telescopic magnets. I can't tell you how many times that tool has saved my arse!!! Poke it anywhere you suspect if could have fallen, even in the oil gallery if it will fit!

I''m not sure about your oil gallery, but I would find that washer IF AT ALL possible. Drain and strain oil if you can't find it in the housing. Even then, it could still be in the bottom of the oil pan...is the oil pan plug magnetic?

GL
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Ga 951,

The washers are aluminum crush washers so they are not magnetic. My first thought was the telescopic magnet too.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Worst case scenario is a ruined engine. You need to find it.
Wait for someone who knows the 16v to confirm this, but the only holes for it to fall into are the galleys, and as far as I know they go directly to the sump so the washer should end up there. There are, however, many places it can get stuck in the crank case. If that happens perhaps some compressed air will force it to a place where it can be flushed out with the oil, or you could use diesel for flushing, it will dissolve oil deposits too.

Is the washer small enough to come out through the oil plug hole?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, you do need to find this. I am not sure if the galleys go all the way to the sump. Even if they do, the washer could be stuck in one. The washer is small enough to come out of the oil plug hole.

I am sure someone with more knowledge than me can give more details. Those are tricky little washers. When I did mine, I covered the area underneath them as best I could to prevent this from happening. Even so, once the washer falls, they are not always easy to spot. I would take a really good look around that area again as they are easy to miss.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Desertt5

I also dropped one of those washers. when I pulled the head, the washer was still in the oil passage in the head. It stayed there over 10K miles.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Since the magnet is out of the equation, get one of those camera on a flex cable.

I got one for $100 made by General. It is small enough to go through the spark plung whole.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
It should end up in the oil sump below.

Next time, put pieces of clean rags under the camshafts and cover the voids on the exhaust side.

2018 Suburban Z71
Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: