Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Unhappy Oil Filter Removal

Has anyone figured out how to remove the oil filter without spilling the oil? It is not terribly bad but still annoys the heck out of me. I am using Malleys if that makes any difference.

1970 Cuda Ragtop, 383, 4 Speed, Triple Black
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
James Chimney

Garage
I stuff rags in from under neath and do it as quickly as possible, bad design in my opinion.
if some one has a better way please share.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Oil pan underneath, let her drip, finish the oil change job, spray GUNK on the affected area from above and below after you're done, hose it off from top and bottom and enjoy your car.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

before you start to unscrew the filter, take a screwdriver and hammer it into the center of the filter. this will let air into the filter which will drain most of the oil from it...

it will still make a mess though.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
I do all of the abpve.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
I disliked the inverted oil filter so much I finally did something about it. I installed a remote oil filter where the oil filter is hanging down properly and is lower in the chassis for better access from below. That took care of that silly design by the Porsche Guys.

I was for a long time puncturing the oil filter with a big screw driver until I found out that doing that allows allot of the debris from the pierced oil filter to drain back into the engine oil passages (not so good).

Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: