Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ignition coil access

This question is for an 86 951.

So I am installing a new set of ignition wires which includes a new wire from ignition coil to distributor cap.

The ignition coil sits in behind the headlight motor and beside the windshield washer resevoir.

Do you disconnect the headlight motor to gain access to the ignition coil?
If so, are they any gotchas when you disconnect the motor or is it straightforward.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

u shouldn't need to...i think u can get to it by popping the PS reservoir out and undoing the clamp bolt that secures the coil.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
ignition coil

I did a complete ignition rewire as well. To get the coil to distributor wire in loosen the coil clamp bolt at the bottom of the coil and push the coil down till it stops on the frame. The coil is covered by a plastic cover that has a slit down one side. It has a platic snap half way down that you can pop open with a screwdriver. Then with a bit of manipulation (cussing) pull the cover up and out. After you've replaced the wire, slide the cover back down and re-plug the snap. Pull the coil back up off the frame about an inch and tighten the clamp ring back down. I'm not a proponent of removing more things than I have to on these cars.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

use a scribe to mark where the headlight motor sits and where the bar sits on the gear, then remove the motor...plenty of room

Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: