Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil leak on s2

I finally got my 87 944 with a 90 s2 engine to crank and run..... What I have now is a massive oil leak at the back of the engine? I have owned the car this engine came out of for a long time and drove it almost daily for a few years. The engine was fine when I pulled it around a year ago. It cranked for the first time today and after it started to warm up oil was literally pouring from the back of the motor. Its not coming from the rear main. It looks to be running down the back of the motor around the corner were the block and head meet and dripping on the exhaust. I did change the valve cover gasket but its not coming form there either. I'm hoping that its just the lower rubber cam plug. does any one have any ideas?
87 944. S2 engine,N/A trans axle,msd 6al, roll bar, turbo body work, turbo brakes, turbo front sway bar 968 mo30 rear bar, 2.5 exhaust, cat delete, magnaflow muffler, ground control coil over sleeves. gone
2012 ms3
New project 86 951
Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know if there is a rear cam tower gasket on the back of the camtower on the s2. I know mine leaked from there on the 2.5.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Checked after it cooled off and it is leaking between block and head on the back corner of the engine. This goes to show not a good idea to let these things set around.
87 944. S2 engine,N/A trans axle,msd 6al, roll bar, turbo body work, turbo brakes, turbo front sway bar 968 mo30 rear bar, 2.5 exhaust, cat delete, magnaflow muffler, ground control coil over sleeves. gone
2012 ms3
New project 86 951
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Bummer. Rather now than at speed. Sitting kills then for sure.
Always looking for a good deal. Hello, my name is Carl and im a Poschaholic
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You sure it's not your rear balance shaft seal on the exhaust side. The o-ring that requires removal of the balance shaft housing to replace?

That would also drip on the exhaust - in fact I can tell you it DOES drip on the exhaust becasue mine did
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It very well could be.... it gets smoky so fast its really difficult to see . I will try anything at this point. I've been working on this thing for over a year..started the motor swap a month ago and have spent every second of free. time on it and now this. Can you post pics of were your talking about?
2012 ms3
New project 86 951
Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamess2 View Post
Checked after it cooled off and it is leaking between block and head on the back corner of the engine. This goes to show not a good idea to let these things set around.
leak between head and block is not possible, oil will mix with coolant first before it leaks out the side.

check the valve cover gasket esp in the corner in the back and the BS o-ring on the exhaust side but this o-ring is close to the oil pan though and not high up in the block.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
leak between head and block is not possible, oil will mix with coolant first before it leaks out the side.

check the valve cover gasket esp in the corner in the back and the BS o-ring on the exhaust side but this o-ring is close to the oil pan though and not high up in the block.
Not true. I had a leak between the head and block. The headgasket was bad and was allowing oil to leak down the block. No I had no oil in water or any other typical head gasket symptoms. I'm not saying this is his issue, but it's possible.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
there is a pressure feed to the head, and that is thru the oil restrictor between the head and the block and to the chain tensioner on a 16V, the rest of the oil passages are just return paths and not even pressurized. i doubt they will leak unless the head gasket is really torn and very old.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 08-31-2011, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: