Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Hood emblem...no sealant

I have the emblem, the gasket, and the speed nuts. Clark's Garage says there is a sealing putty, which I do not have.

A) Do I need this?

B) What can I buy that is a substitute?

C) Exactly where do I put the putty? I am assuming on the back where the gasket hole is.

Thanks in advance,

GHEN

Old 08-29-2011, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Putty schmutty. You'll want to soften up the gasket in hot water to help you stretch it out.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta Monsta View Post
Putty schmutty. You'll want to soften up the gasket in hot water to help you stretch it out.
Thanks Rasta

GHEN
Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there are two types of ways to hold the badges on porsches . one is using the plastic push in clips and the other is with speed nut . speed nuts are used when you can get to the back side of the panel . the 2 reasons you would want to use a putty on the badge is to seal the little holes so water will not get into the trunk like on some 911 body cars . the other reason is that the putty also seals around the nut . when you twist the speed nut on the back side it should have little teeth that bite into the panel . it also removes the paint under the nut as it bites into the panel . the putty seals out any moisture from getting at the bare matel from the teeth bitting into the panel . no moisture no rust . you can pick up some window weld ribbon sealer . its not worth buying it stop by any body shop and ask them for about an inch of it . don't wast your time trying to use silicone it does not work !silicone falls off after about a year . were you put the putty is in the back side of the nut over fill it so it bumps up . that way it will push out as the nut gets put on the posts of the badge . you will see when you look at the speed nut the back side is cup shaped .
Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The putty (or seal) comes on the speed nuts.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Well the fasteners I got from the dealership were silver, cup shaped with a little gooey filling inside. I thought they would grab onto the posts and hold it but they didn't really. I had the nose panel off anyway so I used a punch to force the nuts over the posts of the emblem. It seems secure (I threw some double sided outdoor grade tape on there too as insurance).

I guess we will see what happens.

Looks good!

GHEN
Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

yes most of the time the putty will come on the speed nuts but some don't or you would want to replace the putty if your reusing the same speed nuts .

Old 08-30-2011, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: