Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Brozoar
Not Starting Up, Need Help Fast =( =(

So my red '86 944 is my daily driver... It's been going good since I bought it a few months ago now.

However, last night I drove it, parked it, and when I tried starting it up again a while later (not more than 20 minutes), it was dead. So I got a jump, drove it to a friend's place a few blocks away, parked it, was leaving again maybe 10 minutes later, and it was dead...

So I got a jump, let it idle for about 10 minutes (a scary proposition, as I'm low on gas...), drove it around for about 5 minutes and parked it near home. Then I realized I left my windows down. So I turned the key, it actually started up this time, and I rolled up my windows, let it idle for about another 5 minutes, then shut it off.

This morning I went out to just give it a shot, turned the key, and it was dead. So I got a jump from my buddy, left it to charge for a few minutes (trying it every now and again because it really didn't take too long any of the prior times I jumped it), but it was dead. My battery still seems to have enough juice to power my windows and dash lights and all, just not enough to kick the motor over. It'll click real loud... then nothing.

So is it my battery? Starter? Alternator? Rusty contacts? I need to know soon, 'cause if I haven't moved my car by Monday I'll almost certainly have a nice shiny new ticket waiting for me. =/ And I should mention, starting the car up it always took a second to kick over, but not so long as to leave me wondering if it would. Now it's not making that "chugga chugga chugga I'm tryinggg!" kind of sound, just a loud click, then nothing.

Help! =(
1985.0 944NA - Maraschino Red (traded for a Volvo 244 )
Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You have a charging problem, or a really big drain on the battery. Is your (!) light on?

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
Charging as in maybe my alternator/brushes should be replaced? Nope, the "!" light doesn't come on until I'm in accessory mode.

But I figure if it keeps turning until I pull the key, my alternator's gotta be fine... right? Because if it weren't, sooner or later my batt. would run out of juice while I was idling/driving and it would just stall.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Porsche recommends that you don't jumpstart the car or ever use a battery booster. It supposedly hurts the DME.

What is the charging level at when the car is running? It wouldn't hurt to change the voltage regulator ($30) and buy a new battery.

1989 Porsche 944 S2 - Guards Red - Rebuilt engine, LSD Trans, M030 goodies

1986 Mercedes 420SEL - Poo Brown - Bought it from a grandpa with 75k miles
Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

check your voltage at idle and with the car not running. Also rev the car to see if the voltage fluctuates.

btw it's a good chance you fried your ECU by jump starting it.

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Redline Racer

If you did fry the ECU, it probably wouldn't run at all. You need to check the alternator charging voltage, check that the alternator output lug is clean and tight, check your battery clamps are tight and their connection to the cables are tight, and check your main grounds between the battery and the chassis/engine block. The engine block lug is a PITA to reach, but it must be clean in order for the battery to charge and be able to flow enough current to the starter. Check the cables to the starter and the connections at the starter. Those connections must be clean and tight as well, since the alternator output wire connects to the battery through that main starter lug. As always, start with the easiest stuff first.

If it's still being troublesome after all of that checks out 100%, check that you get 12V at the small wire to the starter when you turn the key to start. If you do and it's not working, the solenoid is most likely bad. If you don't, wiring and/or the ignition switch is bad.
1987 silver 924S 210k mi! - Rebuilt motor survived 60K so far. Bottom end balanced, Custom mild ported head, Port matched intake, LR 944MAX chip, Thush Welded muffler, Bilstein shocks, MSD Blaster 2 coil, ect ect...Needs 8 more valves!
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 24V DOHC- New toy/backup plan...Borla cat back, Injen intake. Needs headers and a real set of cams.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
Hmm I jumped my old '83 a-plenty and never fried my ECU. That would suck if I did though, right?!

I think I'll probably run through all my posts/contacts tomorrow and get back to you. I'll also tell you where my voltage reads in accessory and when I'm trying to start it. I'd tell you where it's at during idle, but that would necessitate actually getting 'er running...

Don't you think it's quite useless to build a vehicle that can't be jumped? =/
Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
Oh P.S. where is the engine block lug, and *gulp* where's the starter? I don't precisely know the engine bay like the back of my hand yet. ;-)
Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozoar View Post
Oh P.S. where is the engine block lug, and *gulp* where's the starter? I don't precisely know the engine bay like the back of my hand yet. ;-)
The engine lifting is located at the rear of the camshaft housing ( pic),the starter is underneath the car (driver side) near the bell housing.
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 09-25-2011, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Redline Racer

The engine grounding lug is on a stud around the 12 o'clock position on the clutch bellhousing. There's a bunch of wiring in the way and such, and it's tucked under the firewall a bit. Just follow the big black cable.
1987 silver 924S 210k mi! - Rebuilt motor survived 60K so far. Bottom end balanced, Custom mild ported head, Port matched intake, LR 944MAX chip, Thush Welded muffler, Bilstein shocks, MSD Blaster 2 coil, ect ect...Needs 8 more valves!
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 24V DOHC- New toy/backup plan...Borla cat back, Injen intake. Needs headers and a real set of cams.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDustR View Post
The engine grounding lug is on a stud around the 12 o'clock position on the clutch bellhousing. There's a bunch of wiring in the way and such, and it's tucked under the firewall a bit. Just follow the big black cable.
Thought he was talking about the lifting lug my bad sorry, Honda is this the the ground lug your talking about?
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=RedBaron;6273560]Porsche recommends that you don't jumpstart the car or ever use a battery booster. It supposedly hurts the DME.

Yet I jump start & use a battery booster on mine many time without frying the DME using the positive on the battery & a ground strap bolted to the firewall.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Redline Racer

Yes that's it
Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: