Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
PIR's website doesn't show anything for this weekend outside of the Les Schwab drags.

Portlandraceway.com

Here's one of the local 944 boys (Schwenter) running up at Pacific Raceways:

Portland:

Spokane:

Oregon Raceway Park:

Plenty of racing to be had around these parts
1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S (Silver Rose)
Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I race a 944 because it is the cheapest car to race.

There. I said it: The cheapest car to race.

Why?

Simple- They do not break. Set up a good 944 cup car once, and you will have a blast for quite a while.

After the checkered flag, all of us 944 guys simply take our helmets off, grab a water bottle, and yuk it up over each other's on-track antics during the last session, be it warm-up, qualifying, or racing.

Most of the other cars in the pits will be up on jacks, and/or bodywork removed, with wrenches flying around.

We just yuk it up until it's time to put the helmet back on. Maybe check the oil and add a splash of gas.

Porsches are durable, and engineered for hard use. Leaving the engine basically stock insures the same reliability as the factory intended.

I bought a non-running 944, tossed a junk-yard engine in it, and raced for a couple years before giving it a proper rebuild with a couple oiling modifications. It has run flawlessly ever since. A properly-prepped 944 will go for several years with no more than normal maintenance between needing major work.

Until I rebuilt the engine and replaced the entire suspension (at the same time), I had less money into my race car than what I spent on just the transmission of my 911.

Yup, a 944 is about the most economical car for racing. I suppose a spec Miata may be similar costwise, but I've had a ball for not much money (relatively speaking, of course- We're talking racing here) with my lowly ITS-spec/944 Cup 944.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9fofo View Post
weird... Northwest Chapter | 44 Cup Racing Series states that there's a race on october 1 & 2
I wouldn't count on that New Jersey one, either!

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

dantilla, what kind of figures are we talking about? Let's consider you start out with a clean, fresh 944. How much would you budget for: fees, tires, the occasional sliding off the track, brakes, oil, gas, post-race champagne, and whatever else you would need for a 5-6 race season? In other words, how much does a season round-up for you, if you don't mind me asking.?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9fofo View Post
dantilla, what kind of figures are we talking about? Let's consider you start out with a clean, fresh 944. How much would you budget for: fees, tires, the occasional sliding off the track, brakes, oil, gas, post-race champagne, and whatever else you would need for a 5-6 race season? In other words, how much does a season round-up for you, if you don't mind me asking.?
I think he spelled it out already. He paid $900 for a non running car, put an engine in that cost $250 at the most, made it run, $1,000 for the suspension bits, and went racing. Post race is waters, fairly cheap.

His time investment is probably large, but you'll have that with any race car.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
You just gotta get out there. Although I know that racing is not gonna be cheap if you dont know how to drive. Crashes and Spin outs are gonna cost ya the most.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

cool beans. Sorry I neglected the start-up costs, I was trying to get a feel for the operating costs.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

While no racing is cheap, 944 Spec gives you the most bang for the buck and is one of the best groups to race with. Everyone shares set up info and cheating is something the other race classes do. We race hard but clean. If you break, everyone in the group offers parts and labor to get you back on the track.

Like Rasta said, we run stock engines and transaxles with the class rules set up to limit the amount of money that can be spent on upgrades.

944 racing is lots of door to door and nose to tail. I have had spectators come up after a multi-class race and tell us that our 944s were the race.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Yeah, 944's are pretty darn cheap to run - especially in Spec trim. An excellent way to go.

@romad - lots of good, cheap Porsche racing here in Michigan, like this weekend at Waterford Hills... come out and see how fun it can be! Sounds like you're missing out...
Old 09-29-2011, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
"Dude! You kicked my car.

Garage
All this talk about spec racing makes me want to start doing it... maybe someday
Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Unfortunatly the 944 motor is not an ideal race motor. They are cheap cars to buy, but the motors can go boom without warning. Even if you maintain them properly.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

For operating costs check out the technical articles on the www.944spec.org website. Joe P did an honest job on calculating what it costs to run.

944-Spec Operating Costs

You will also want to see who is running in your area as each region can have a different feel to it but my experience has been positive anywhere I have run. I used to live in Utah and the group there was fun and I have run in North Cal., Colorado, Vegas, Texas and OK and had a good time with everyone.

A plus for racing in 944Spec trim is you can run in NASA and PCA and you will not have to make changes to the car. In addition you can run in POC with minimal changes(a PCA car is legal but POC allows for some things that PCA does not). In 944 Cup trim you can also race in NASA and PCA (SP2).

It is a good group and fun car to race- not very fast but fun.

As for the reliability of the motor comments- any race motor can go at any moment. There are guys who have run 944s for years on the same motor. Check the oil and replace the bearings and you should be good.

Last edited by Spec944 #143; 10-07-2011 at 10:11 AM..
Old 10-07-2011, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

The 944 motor can be made to last many seasons...put in a pan baffle, change the rod bearings every 120-150 hours, use a high quality race oil and you will be fine. They are great cars to race and very reliable. I have had one mechanical DNF in 4 seasons since I started racing my 944...and it was a fuel pump. Good prep is the key, do not cheap out and slack on the maintenance.
1991 964 euro cup (Larbre #28- race
1987 carrera 3.2-street/de car
1962 Austin Healey 3000
Old 10-07-2011, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

What oil are you using? And how many miles on your engine? While were at it... Trans oil?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I use Redline 10w40 or Redline 30 weight race oil. My current engine has 110 hours on it, it was built 2 years ago from a 2.7 that had 115 K on it. I will be doing the rod bearings this winter and I would be surprised if they need to be replaced. For the transaxle I run either Redline MT 90 or Amsoil MTG, both are GL-4 lubes. I do have a spare 2.7 on an engine stand to swap in, that engine has approximately 10 hours...basically break-in and dyno time.
1991 964 euro cup (Larbre #28- race
1987 carrera 3.2-street/de car
1962 Austin Healey 3000
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Comeau Racing

Well, I know a little about racing 944's..........
944 Spec is the cheapest and best class to race in. I've talked to some of the guys up in the Northwest about prepping their 944's to spec rules to keep it cheap and simple, and to be able to have crossover events with the NASA 944 Spec guys from NorCal, but they'd rather race by SCCA ITS modified Cup rules. So be it.

I have never put an oil pan baffle or crank scraper in.
I have never cross drilled a crank shaft.
I use Liqui-Moly 10-60 synthetic racing oil and have not had any pressure or temp problems with respect to oil. I don't use an external oil cooler.
I drove my Zebra 924S to and from races in 2003-2004. That same bottom end with a fresh head is in my current racing 924S!
If assembled correctly, these engines are very durable. In fact, I used that same engine in 5 different 3 or 4 hour night enduros as well.
Comeau Racing Enterprises, Inc. www.comeauracing.com
We do only 924S, 944's, 968's all day, every day.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

What about racing in a time attack event? At least your not going to swap paint with other cars.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
What about racing in a time attack event? At least your not going to swap paint with other cars.
Fine if that's what you want to do. You still get to hang around with a nice bunch of guys, you still get to drive at speed on the track.

I like the wheel-to-wheel action and competition, and my car remains damage-free. After a bit of time on track you learn what drivers you can trust within inches, and what drivers should be given some extra room, and what drivers should be completely avoided!

Go to a race, and you will see tha vast majority of the time, the cars look the same at the checkered flag as they did at the green.

It's not bumper cars, after all...
Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Comeau Racing

Dan,
Man did you nail it on trusting the racers you're with on the track. I encourage newer guys to enter the HPDE groups and still attend the events and hang out with us racers at NASA events. They get to know the guys and build that rapport.

Reddragon,
You might not swap paint but I've seen plenty of single car incidents in the non-racing groups. Just start attending the events of your choice and have fun. Let your fear be your natural limiting factor and you'll bring the car home in one piece....usually.
Comeau Racing Enterprises, Inc. www.comeauracing.com
We do only 924S, 944's, 968's all day, every day.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Timmay! What is this "fear" of which you speak?

J-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-immah

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: