Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Vinyl Wrap

Been contemplating wrapping my 944S2. Anyone had experience with it?

3M Matte White Wrap Vinyl

Was thinking this stuff, as the car is currently white.

I don't have a sniff as to how much I'll need. If anyone has done it and has any advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Jordan
Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
paint is prob cheaper
Old 09-30-2011, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
first child 84 944

Garage
paint can be cheaper but it really is goin to be based on your level of exp. with either applying paint or wrap. Wrap is making a pretty big mark going on for about 8-10 years, just make sure that if you have someone do it that they dont slice your current paint to deep with a razor when cutting the wrap out. If you end up doing paint your self than i can let ya know some great products, but like i said exp is a must. Side note, with wrap you also can buy it clear coated or have a shop clear it also and it can even be buffed, its all plastic anyway weather its paint or wrap. Any quality urathan paint is plastic in a diff form
Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Ever applied film before? If not you won't be able to get it on without mistakes...

If you are paying someone, it would be cheaper to paint.

Seriously, I work in a shop capable of doing wraps, and I might wrap a track car, but thats just because I can lay wrap quicker than paint. But I wouldn't do wrap on a street car.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
first child 84 944

Garage
i agree thats why i said depends on exp. At one point in my life i worked as tech rep for several paint mfg. till about 7 years ago. But none the less the wrap material today and products aval to apply it with can be somewhat easy. A product called P.S for pressure sensitive is a gel and works with pressure when applied to back of any vynil it allows u to move it around until its pressed down on. Paint on the other had with no exp! yes it can be much cheaper but you could really do some damage that could cost a butt load to pay some one like me to go back and fix it. unless you want it to look like a track car. Just do some homework like youtube or i seem to recall a spead in truckin mag acouple months ago that might help some also.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I bought my race car with a vinyl wrap about 5 years ago. If I build another car, I would have the car painted and use much less vinyl. When it was new, it looked great. After the first year, the blue vinyl started to lose it's shine and it became progressively harder to clean. The white seemed to hold up better but is still a pain to clean as opposed to paint.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It is very new technology for many on the forum, however it has been around for many years. The same technology is used when applying vehicle graphic names and company designs. The vehicle wrap can be laminated before use/application which gives a longer life. As any surface it is subject to the elements.
I will be applying this to my 944 soon I hope, and I will provide a few before and after photos. It takes about two days to wrap the average vehicle.
Good points are if some knick or scratch happens, the section can be reheated removed, surface smoothed then reapplied at a fraction of the cost. Also shop around to find the best company. I would not pay more than $ 1500 for a single color wrap. Saves money and easy to apply. It just takes time.
Bad points, corners around door handles and edges can give way after a few years. Also DO NOT run the car through the local automatic car wash. If you knew what type of solvents were in the cleaning solutions I doubt most would never take your car back.
My humble opinion, go for it and wrap your car!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
first child 84 944

Garage
Just would like to add, if you take it to a shop that removes such things as your belt molding and handles before application you wont have to pull away problem you are talking about. Might even be worth your time if you remove them yourself.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks

Thanks for the responses folks.

I have NO paint experience. My understanding from these forums is a proper paint job is going to cost me as much as the car is currently worth.

My research tells me that all the newer vinyl wraps are fairly forgiving and easy to install. And hey, if you read it on the Internet it's true right? Right?....

I thought I would try it out on my hood first and see how it went and then make my decision from there. Little investment to experiment.

I likely won't be doing this until spring now as I am in Canada and will be parking my car for the winter soon.

Porsche37 - What brand of wrap were you going to use. I'm very interested in your results.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback.

Jordan
Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Again, what you choose for your car is on you. Every GPO enjoys working on his/her car. For the research and people who have helped me, I could not have done it alone, I am going with a 3M cast material. Cast is good for curves and very durable. It is also very pricey, but it's worth it.
Winter in Canada would be tough on any car surface, so you may want to have it laminated as well. I am in Belgium, so the winters are more forgiving. So I am just applying this straight to the car surface. I am also keeping it plain, no printing. My first time, so the KISS principle works for me.
So far I have done all the work on the car myself, finishing touch is the covering. With the winter storage you may want to put her up on blocks and pressure clean top to bottom, take all external mirrors and bumpers, etc... off. Get the car ready as cleaning the surface is paramount when wrapping. Also a good time to give the engine a good overhaul if you don't plan on driving for a while. I usually find two other problems when I go to fix one!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I had my race car wrapped. It looked fantastic
2007 Subaru Legacy Wagon (Wife wagon)
Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

lol - i'm betting she's more expensive to wrap than the car
Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Comeau Racing

I worked in the graphics industry side by side with a Porsche racing company for several years so I'm comfortable installing digitally printed vinyl or single color 2-3 mil high performance vinyl.
It's true , you have to know how to work the vinyl with a heat gun, squeegees, finger tips, razors, etc. Don't use the 3M "low friction sleeves" over the squeegee to apply high performance vinyl. They suck and will show scratches. Use a thick paper towel or a thin cotton cloth instead.
I just finished wrappping my 924S race car (~ $300 in vinyl and tools) and everyone thought it was painted. I used scraps and didn't even try to hide the seams. Had some crash damage to the pass door and sill. Body work done, then pull out the roll of vinyl and recover it.
I agree, it takes a few days to do, but the appeal to me was I could work it late into the night at a cost of only my time.
If the front gets stone chipped, I peel it off and replace it. Not so with paint.
If I get a new sponsor, change the vinyl.
I would expect better, cleaner work on a street car than a race car.
I recently saw a GMG prepped 911 RSR wrapped in flat black that came out very well. It didn't peel off at all when the RSR was doin' a buck 80 at Cal Speedway! Whoa!
Maybe the bottom line is that paint is more durable but harder to repair, vinyl is cheaper, harder to apply, easier to repair or change?
I'm not interested in being right, just throwin' the experience out to you.
p.s. Please introduce me to the brunette, that is, if she doesn't belong to you already!
Comeau Racing Enterprises, Inc. www.comeauracing.com
We do only 924S, 944's, 968's all day, every day.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Comeau Racing

Also, forgot to mention that the digitally printed on vinyl is way easier to install because it has cross-hatched lines that let any air bubbles out easier.
Comeau Racing Enterprises, Inc. www.comeauracing.com
We do only 924S, 944's, 968's all day, every day.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have also been thinking to get the 3M Matte White vinyl wrap for my car but I want my business logo too to be printed on this. Would it cost me expensive? I also need unique trade show displays for custom trade expo for my business promotion. So please suggest a service that can do both these things!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: