Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1978 924 Restoration was going good until...

So I watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers and got the idea to pick up an old 924 to restore for profit. I got it for the right price, but it had been sitting for 7 years, so there was much work to do...

I started off by draining about 7 gallons of weird orange gasoline from its tank, cleaned the dirt out from inside the tank and flushed it with fresh gas.. then I removed the fuel accumulators and flushed them with fresh gas a few dozen times, reinstalled the accumulators and a shiny new fuel pump...

Then I moved to the fuel distributor and used this article to get the fuel distributor singing again, then removed and cleaned all injectors.

Next, I rewrapped all the spark plug wires with electrical tape because mice had been chewing on them (new wires on the way). Then I removed and thoroughly cleaned the spark plugs with electrical cleaner and a wire brush. The original coil fell apart, so I installed the coil from my 944 and installed a new battery..

Unfortunately I wasn't able to remove and clean the fuel warmup regulator (bottom hex screw stripped) and here's what's happening... I crank the car and it fires up but but dies immediately. It's more likely to fire up if i preload the injectors by pushing the plunger in the airbox while the car is on. also, it stays running if i work the fuel dizzy plunger and throttle body at the same time while someone else cranks it.. but I can't manually get the air/fuel mixture good enough to keep it running for very long.

so part of me thinks its the fuel warmup regulator that I didnt get to clean... but part of me thinks I put the second fuel accumulator on backwards.. fuel inlet plugged in center, outlet to fuel filter on the outside..

i dunno, my brain's fried from spending so much time in the garage

Endat

Last edited by Endat; 10-10-2011 at 05:38 AM..
Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

IIRC the 78s have a switch on the fuel dizzy that turns the fuel pump on/off depending on air flow. Could be that. Could also be the fuel pump relay (similar to 944 setup). You could try this - jumper the fuel pump to get it to run, get a long 3mm allen tool and 1st close the mixture screw on the fuel dizzy all the way. Start the fuel pump and turn the 3mm screw clockwise until you hear fuel running. Then try to start. Is your static timing set properly. I haven't worked on a 924 fuel system for a while, so forgive me if my recall is off! I assume you tried 924Board.org :: Index - lots of info and great guys.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Send your cold start injector out for cleaning and service. While it is away, you can pull the intake manifold. This will allow you to remove the WUR for service, and go through the intake system and replace all the rubber. CIS injection will never run properly with any vaccuum leaks whatsoever.

Finally, it is not advisable to mess with the mixture screw until you have acquired a CIS pressure tester and tested control and system pressures. A good overview of the CIS system can be found here:

Auto-Solve Diagnostic Assistance

Good luck!

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

LOL wheeler dealers don't make anything on any of their cars when you count up all the hours and days of labor, the gas to run around getting parts, the advertising to sell, the workshop costs, they lose money on every car.

The show really just highlights the cars and basic restoration, it's not there to show you how you make money. It's a good job those guys get paid by the TV station or else they'd be bust!

Admire your efforts though, GL
Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Oh I'm aware that I might need to drive it myself for a while to get my money's worth out of it.. it's been fun but I'm still yet to replace the tires and give it a pretty paint job, already getting close to having $700 in it so far

Thanks for the responses... the 924board is a nice place for info. Also thanks Rasta for the article on mechanical fuel injection, giving it a read now
Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This is the story of my life about 10 months ago. I never did get that damn thing running, except for the day I bought it.

Jackson
1977 924 M&R 50k miles sunroof delete (sold)
Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
LOL wheeler dealers don't make anything on any of their cars when you count up all the hours and days of labor, the gas to run around getting parts, the advertising to sell, the workshop costs, they lose money on every car.

The show really just highlights the cars and basic restoration, it's not there to show you how you make money. It's a good job those guys get paid by the TV station or else they'd be bust!

Admire your efforts though, GL
Yes, it's a hoot, that program. In real life Edd would charge $90 dollars an hour where I live, and you'd lose a small fortune on every one.

Any then there are the embarrassing 'reality' segments where a 'real-life' buyer and a real-life seller supposedly haggles in front of Mike under the lights of a TV camera, and mysteriously sell for too little and buy for too much every single time...

It's a very helpful program on car repair and restoration all the same, despite all that 'reality'.

Hope you get the car running again. Stick at it!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboulder View Post
This is the story of my life about 10 months ago. I never did get that damn thing running, except for the day I bought it.
"However, the process what somewhat hindered by me not listening."

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta Monsta View Post
"However, the process what somewhat hindered by me not listening."
I think it was more like I was afraid of CIS and the FI system was shot. Basically I sold it and it has scared me straight from then on. No more CIS for me. That's for sure. I would much rather play with motronic or L-jetronic or even D-jetronic.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I think most would agree that CIS works pretty good when its working pretty good...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

^+1

Once it's set up properly it's just fine. Fuggedaboudit
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Fuel Pressure Problems on '79 924

When I hook up a fuel pressure gadge I get normal system pressure at 72 LBS but my control pressure is 72 LBS also, should be no higher than 57. Car is barely running. Thinking my fuel distributer is shot or dirty. Anyone had this faulty fuel pressure reading ? Help
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore924 View Post
I think most would agree that CIS works pretty good when its working pretty good...
A system that has proven to be very reliable over the years it was used on a wide range of car makes.
I haven't had much to do with this system personally but I know the cold start system can be troublesome ,Bosch must have known that as the latter types of this system went to a 5th injector cold start.
The key point in your post is the fact you have had to do lots of cleaning of old fuel from your system,,this type of injection won't tolerate any contamination,water will ruin the fuel distrbutor for an example.
Best to find replacement parts off a good running motor in this case then you have a good baseline for your repairs,best of luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the help so far

So I replaced the fuel filter and made sure the pump isnt pumping any dirt to the new filter...

the cold start injector has been cleaned and fires nicely, but it doesn't fire when its plugged in and the car is cranked....
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The thermo-time switch controls the CS injector; either it doesn't have a proper power or ground, or it's bad. I've never encountered a bad one, myself, and fixing wiring's cheaper anyway - so check your wiring first. I trust you have a wiring diagram?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I dont have a diagram thats specific to the 924, where is the thermo-time switch?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
the starter is getting very weak.. Could that have anything to do with the switch not activating?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Yeah - crappy grounds. For starters (no pun intended).

Did you clean all your grounds?

Last I checked, our site host, Pelican, had a nice selection of all the wiring diagrams. Physically, the thermo-time switch is at the back of the head, under the oil pressure sender, really out of sight/reach. But not unreachable.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Update - yeah, diagrams are here:
Pelican Parts: Porsche 924/944 Electrical Diagrams
Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
The cold start injector is working nicely now but it still wont start... the fuel distributor wasnt flowing enough even though it was cleaned, so it took it apart to find a disintegrated oring..

Does anyone know where i can get a rebuild kit for the fuel distributor?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: