Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Early Porsche 944 NA Water Pump question (1984 944)

Will this part fit my 1984 Porsche 944 NA:

Pelican Parts Part No. R-106-021-04X

It's the late style water pump with cam belt guard.

How can I tell if my water pump on the 944 already has a cam belt guard or not? Sorry, I'm ignorant about this.

Also, would a 924/924S waterpump fit?

Thank you for all your help.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Good question,no the 924 pump won't fit but the 924s will fit,I don't think that the older pumps are around any more unless exchange rebuilt .
The updated pump sorts the early pump seal failures and belt shredding issue with the cast in mounting for the guard,the guard isn't usually supplied but is cheap to buy of pelican.
If you aren't sure ask the question ,they reply fast.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtisam.jawad View Post
How can I tell if my water pump on the 944 already has a cam belt guard or not? Sorry, I'm ignorant about this.
Updated pump ( aka "Turbo" waterpump) has:

The silver cam belt guard.

Many have a white plastic "nose". This nose is called the block off plate. The turbo cars use this additional cooling path-----944 NAs do not and block the hole.
If you buy a rebuilt with this hole (LEFT side of my hand) , you need a block off plate and seal.

]

So, take a look, if still not sure, pull the top belt guard off the front of the engine and inspect.

If you have to buy the "updated" WP you also have to get the 46mm roller.

GL
John
Old 10-21-2011, 04:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys. It really helped.

I will get the updated water pump (rebuilt) and the adapter kit, the block off plates and the o-ring just in case as well.
Also, I will get the water pump gasket. Do I need any other seals?

Also, for an oil change, I'm thinking of getting the drain plug and drain plug seal. Are there separate seals for oil filter? I'm thinking of going with Kendall GT-1 20W-50 in terms of oil. It has ZDDP. What do you guys think?

Thank you so much.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtisam.jawad View Post
Thanks guys. It really helped. I will get the updated water pump (rebuilt) and the adapter kit, the block off plates and the o-ring just in case as well. Also, I will get the water pump gasket. Do I need any other seals? Also, for an oil change, I'm thinking of getting the drain plug and drain plug seal. Are there separate seals for oil filter? I'm thinking of going with Kendall GT-1 20W-50 in terms of oil. It has ZDDP. What do you guys think? Thank you so much.
Don't forget that you'll have to modify the rear belts cover in order to install the updated WP (if not already done).John -AZ has the cut pattern in case you need it,why do you need to buy a new drain plug ,unless it's strip the oe one will do the job just fine ,all you need is the aluminum washer (seal).No need for oil filter seals it's a staigth swap,just make sure to oil the rubber seal (in the filter) & get the rigth one which is Mahle OC-142.Oil is like a religion to each it's own after using Castroil for years I switch to Valvoline VR1 racing oil 20w50 and almost pick up 1 bar on my oil pressure.Btw if you want to make your life less miserable, buy yourself the rigth oil filter wrench which is from knowledge is the only one that does the job properly on ours cars.
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 10-23-2011, 02:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

All good info.
Can I add 2 things?
Update the oil filter to a OC 75 from the 944 turbo. It goes right in and since it's taller gives more oil capacity and filtration.
The other thing is that since you're changing the water pump, you might have to get a different seal and shim for the water thermostat. Some pumps have the groove for the thermostat at 3mm from the seat while others have it at 7mm.
San Diego, CA
We do only 944's all day, every day.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 PM

Tags
1984 , 944 , early , naturally aspirated , water pump

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: