Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What fittings will I need to make my own fuel system??

Hi

I need to replace the fuel lines and hoses in the rear undercarriage and halfway forward on my 1986 944 Turbo. Thought I might as well change everything as the prices per hose/line is very high for new OEM parts, and the hoses in the engine compartment are known to be a problem when they get old and brittle.

Lindsey Racing sells a complete kit covering everything from fuel pump till fuel rail, but on the return line they don't have a complete solution.

I was thinking about buying a big roll of -6AN SS-braided fuel hose, and make my own thing as it will be cheaper. Does anybody know what type of fittings is needed to adapt -6AN onto the fuel rail inlet/outlet, fuel reg inlet/outlet, fuel damper inlet/outlet, fuel filter inlet/outlet, fuel pump inlet/outlet and fuel tank inlet/outlet?

That info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Paul

Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Arnnworx has a lot of info:

Fuel Lines

GL
John
Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Great! :-)
Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Also try EARL'S as they have almost any thing needed for fuel systems for any car.

this was on Earl's: Holley Performance Products Annealed Aluminum Tubing*100034ERL , and would be 100% better than the braided flex hoses. Search around the site and I'm sure you can find all you need (-AN to NPT fittings, tubing, benders, all fittings and hoses).

Earl's has been around for the gear heads for many years and their product prices and their service is the best...
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 10-22-2011, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have tried searching, but so far I haven't found out what fitting is needed to connect to the fuel filter outlet (What adapter do I need to get a -6AN Hose end fitting onto the fuel filter?)

I know tubing is better than hoses, but it is much easier to install a hose and some end fittings/couplers. Will a SS-braided hose not hold up when the car will be driven on salty winter roads?

What I have gathered so far is that if I use -6AN hose, then I need -6AN hose ends, and between there I need a -6AN male to 16x1.5 female metric adapter to be able to connect to the fuel rail and fuel damper. Correct?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

don't waste your money buying alum. AN fittings, the steel JICs are basically identically and much, much cheaper. the line sizes are universal.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Does Summit Racing sell those fittings? If not, who else does and offers international shipping?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

in a little bit of searching they are harder to find in the hose-end type fittings, though still available...however, try contacting a company called Hatech in germany for a local store. they have a store in California that got me 6ft of -10 stainless line and all the required fittings for an oil cooler built for $30
Old 10-22-2011, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Whats wrong with the lines/hoses you have? The steel tube running along the chassis should be fine. Its likely you only need to replace the hoses that are old & cracked.

Braided SS will last no longer than the rubber hose, its the same rubber compound w a SS mesh sheath.

I have all the correct Metric fittings & the latest multi fuel hose in stock. These are the exact Metric fittings & hose the factory uses, and from the same German supplier.

The standard Metric fittings are typically $10 each, the Special Order 120 & 180 fittings are $20 ea.

I sell a 944 Fuel Hose Fix that is easy to install, only requiring a tube cutter & Metric Flare tool.......and uses a custom Flare to Metric fitting that I machine to fit.

The lifetime of the hose is determined by the type & formula of the rubber itself, not the outer covering. The hose I offer is the latest multi-fuel hose from Germany, in plain rubber, Braided Zinc and Braided SS.

I will custom make up any length hose you require, all I need are the thread sizes & length of hose, and there is normally N/C for crimping.

Shipping is worldwide by US Postal Priority Mail. For more info, please NO PM's, email only.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 10-23-2011 at 07:30 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hmmm. Should have seen your post earlier. Yesterday I ended up buying the things I needed via Summit Racing. The rear section of my hardlines are rusted out, so it's not only the hoses that need replacing.

I opted for the Summit Racing Twist-Tite hose:
"Our SummitŪ Twist-Tite hose was designed for reduced weight, increased flexibility, and, best of all, affordability. The hose features an elastomer inner tube bonded with a reinforced textile braid, and covered in high-temperature synthetic rubber. The hose is compatible with a wide variety of fluids and is good to 250 psi when used with our Twist-Tite fittings. The red and blue anodized fittings install without tools--they simply Twist-Tite"

Hopefully this will work fine. It is easier to route/bend without SS-braid, it is cheaper and lighter, and the fittings are easy to install.

On both ends of the original hard lines I'll use the bite ring adapters that Lindsey Racing sell. At the rear I'll cut away the rusted part of the lines (they are fine on the long straight under the car, but from there and backwards they need to be replaced), and just use Twist-tite hose from there and back to the fuel filter/tank. I think this solution will work out nicely.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: