Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Brozoar
Gearbox Grinding

I have an 85.5 NA, 183,000-some miles, and I've been having a bit of an issue changing gears. For the most part it's fine when I'm already going. But switching into first and sometimes second, until she's warmed up and been driving for awhile, I often find myself fighting tooth and nail just to pop the lever into gear. Other times, clutch pedal all the way to the floor, I still grind gears a little bit (again, almost exclusively first or second gear).

So I want to narrow down a list of possible culprits. My pedal never sinks or sticks to the floor, so I seriously doubt it's my master or slave cylinder. According to the previous owner, the clutch only had a few thousand miles on it when I bought it - though he had no paperwork, so I'm taking his word with a grain of salt. But the disk still feels grabby and tight.

My suspicion is that it's the gear lever/linkage, that something's just gone loose somewhere down the line, because, say, if I find myself fighting to get into first, I'll depress the clutch, pop it into third, pop it out again, and then it'll go into first alright. But I want to hear other opinions on what it might be.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Too Many Porsches

Garage
This could be a number of things from air in the clutch hyd circuit to loose linkages or even worn synchros.

1. If the master/slave cyls are ok the rubber line running between them could be the cause or the circuit might need bleeding.

2. The linkage at the shifter and the intermediate shifter bar on the transmission are both prone to wear and would cause bad shifting.

Probably one of those two things, check them and drain/refil you trans fluid with Swepco or Redline. If there is no improvement you might be looking at synchros and a trans rebuild. GL
Old 12-14-2011, 06:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

You wouldn't believe the difference when the trans oil gets changed. I go with amsoil, but to each his/her own.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The fact that you said "until warmed up" makes me think (like the other guys) that a trans fluid change may help. The 3 fluids mentioned above are very good. I would use a synthetic. I had cold shifting issues in my 928 and a switch to one of the above fixed it. With 183k your syncros need all the help they can get.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

remove the fill plug first!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
Thanks guys! =) I'm gonna try and get new fluids in when I have a garage to work in. I'll probably double-check the pedal travel too, that might help maybe?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Send a message via AIM to redstrosekNic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post
remove the fill plug first!
+1!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Linkages

While your under there may as well check the gear shift linkages and coupler.
Have you got a lot of (loose) movement @ the shifter?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
I'm tempted to say yes, but then I don't really know what "a lot" is; my '83 had more play. But yes, I'll just say yes. =) And I'm almost sure that's at least a contributing factor.

What is this fill plug you speak of? Sorry, I've just never had the occasion to do anything with the tranny before. And I forgot to mention; apparently the clutch and brakes use the same reservoir? It might be helpful to note that my brake lines just burst and had to be replaced a few weeks ago...
Old 12-15-2011, 05:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Too Many Porsches

Garage
"What is this fill plug you speak of? Sorry, I've just never had the occasion to do anything with the tranny before. And I forgot to mention; apparently the clutch and brakes use the same reservoir? It might be helpful to note that my brake lines just burst and had to be replaced a few weeks ago.."

Drain plug is on the LH side of the trans, its what you remove when you change the oil in the trans.

If they didn't bleed the clutch when they fixed the brake fluid leak that's your problem. You need to bleed the clutch, they share the same reservoir.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Basket Case

Garage
The transaxle has two hex-head bolts (18mm) on the left side of the housing. The top is the fill plug, the bottom is the drain plug.

Pull the top one out first just to make sure you can get it out, as if it's stuck fast, you're kinda stuffed once you drain all the fluid out the bottom hole.

For filling the transmission, I used the trick Clarks garage recommended - A length of clear pipe fed up through the wheel arch and two people.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The torque spec is 17 lb-ft and don't go over!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
To think that daddy laughed when I bought that torque wrench. Aha! It is I who laughs now!

Thanks a lot fellers.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I ended up buying 2 torque wrenches for this car. A bigger one for the wheels and larger stuff with 20 ft lbs and above and a smaller one 3 ft lbs to 20 ft lbs) for common things like oil pan gaskets and some smaller bolts on the engine. I use them too, believe me. When you're pulling off things like intake manifolds, cam towers, throttle bodys, etc., it's good to have the proper tools.

A lot of discussions on this website about tranny oils, i.e., redline, amzoil, swepco. You be the judge. I'm pulling my tranny and bellhousing/clutch out to replace a $10 Rear main seal and while the tranny's out, replacing all the rubber outputs seals (hardened rubber) and rear case seal (paper) that's been weeping over the years. My personal tranny oil will be redline 75-90 G4.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Old 12-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: