Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 shut off unexpectedly. Need advice.

II have another thread open about having a miss in the engine when I apply throttle quickly.

The other day, I was driving the car, and while sitting at a stop sign, it just shut of, and would not start again. The engine cranks, but it wont start.

Normally, I can hear the fuel pump, but now I cannot, so I am thinking either the fuel pump relay, or the fuel pump has gone bad. It makes sense since both are electrical components, the miss would only occur as the car warmed up, and it only occurred under a load. I've had fuel pumps go bad in other vehicles, and this
was usually how they acted.

I though I would try the relay first, so I pulled relay number II top row, which in my diagram, is the fuel pump relay. I tried to buy a new one, but no one has one, and the numbers do not cross reference to anything, so I am out of luck there.

The number stamped on the side is 230703.

On the front, it has the following information...
89 8892 000
12V max. 15A
>PA6 - GF 30<
Made in Hungary

There is a circuit diagram printed on the side.
It has 6 pins printed in the following order, with numbers under each pin number
4 9 8 1 3 2
(87b) (85b) (87) (85) (86) (30)

First of all, does anyone know if this is actually the fuel pump relay?
Second, does anyone know how to test it?
Third, does anyone know where I can get a new one if this one is bad?
Fourth, does it sound like anything else (DME maybe?)
Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
1983 944 N/A

Garage
Go to Clark's Garage Home Page, then shop manual, 1/4 of the way Dow the page it would say DME Relay Technical Information and Testing , that is your fuel pump and DME relay. He shows you how to bypass it to see if its the relay or the fuel pump, good luck hope its just the relay.

Last edited by POPS 83 944; 12-26-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPS 83 944 View Post
Go to Clark's Garage Home Page, then shop manual, 1/4 of the way Dow the page it would say DME relay test, that is your fuel pump and DME relay. He shows you how to bypass it to see if its the relay or the fuel pump, good luck hope its just the relay.
Thanks for the info.

BTW, I found the relay here on Pelican, and it is exactly like mine, so I'm glad that I can get one if I need it.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Always carry a spare. Will save you a lot of trouble, ask anyone!
Old 12-26-2011, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would make sure that you are getting spark to the sparkplugs. When my 944 died at a stop light with no warning I was only getting voltage to the coil and not to the sparkplugs. Turns out I had a bad refernce sensor.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Same thing happened to me last week. Stupid hose from the AFM came off and was seriously jacking up the air/fuel mixture. Moral of the story is check all your hoses and connections.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
carry a flashlight. Murphy's law says that if anything fails, it will usually be at night in the weather. That little light under the hood is useless.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: