Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

i think this one is "beauty in the eye of the beholder". i've seen those same parts, and to me they look like junk. they don't even take the time to clean them up. i won't buy a used part if it doesn't look new, not that i buy many used parts. i haven't in a long time, learning from that mistake very early on. too often it takes either too much time, or too much work, to restore the part to new condition. it would have been cheaper and faster to buy the new part. similarly i won't sell one if it doesn't look and perform like new.

i think swap meets are frequented by people who haven't yet figured out that their time is not free. any time spent messing around with that stuff is time taken away from either making money, or spending it.

like i said though, i go for the other component. i go to see the people that i otherwise wouldn't be able to see as easily.

so, there is more than one reason to attend. now if they could just move it later in the year so it doesn't get rained on...............
Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to uvachief
I agree on used versus new. Unless it is a cosmetic interior part, it is rarely worth it.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
These things are always mostly air cooled stuff, you'll probably trip over a 911 engine block at least twice. That said there's still a ton of great stuff to be had. My best purchase was a few boxes full of "stuff" that has saved me a lot of money(injector seals, relays, fuses, crank sensors you name it). I really like that box.

Don't go crazy though, I almost bought a 928 project last time, that would have been a mistake!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
I think (and I may get in trouble here) the art of attending a swap meet is waning, due to the Internet, etc. These events, in my opinion, do not constitute a waste of time as relationships are formed and carry over year after year. Its a great way to meet people in our hobby, enjoy the outdoors, and possibly engage in a sanctioned run, if available. In addition, I believe part of the joy of attending these events is in the hunt; one may scourer a meet for years with little "buying" success and then unexpectedly score big. Today's society has evolved whereas the search is irrelevant due to the unyielding pursuit of instant gratification and where's the fun in that? IMHO, the destination is but a component of one's journey; enjoy the adventure!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
The weather will be great this year. I'm going. It can't rain... can it? I want to find a magic box of parts like Skyhawk. You had crank sensors in there? Really? I did pick up a surprisingly good a/c compressor that lasted nearly 2 years for $10.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Hoping the guy with the tent of wheels will be there again. He had chromed out 16" wheels that looked like cup wheels for $250 at the end of the day. Still kicking myself for not buying those (the would have been a ***** to keep clean though).

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

James Chimney

Garage
10 days to go bump
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
PMB Performance

Garage
What???? The 10-Day forecast on Wunderground is showing 66 "C-L-E-A-R" and sunny???

Naaaaaaaaaaaaa... can't be!

(jinx)
www.pmbperformance.com
Old 04-11-2013, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
My weather app says 53 partly cloudy and chance of showers. Hoping it all moves out by the 19th. Dry and hot here.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
The weather should be outstanding since i can't make it this year. Enjoy!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
57 @ sunny now

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

lol - rain on both ends. in hershey that never ends well. never know though.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

uvachief

Garage
current forecast is 58 degress and partly cloudy. only a 20% chance of rain.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
James Chimney

Garage
any one heading down on Friday from the CT area, we are leaving at noon from Stamford, CT see you there
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

What are the chances of finding a 944 engine at the swap meet?

Engines are not the sort of thing vendors normally lug around to car shows that I have been to.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
What are the chances of finding a 944 engine at the swap meet?
Pretty good I think. Usually a couple there but they're pigs in a poke -- how would you know what you're getting...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
I got an email from DC Auto last night. they are bringing up a trailer of good used parts. they are also taking request so if you want anything you can email them from their website. Www.dcauto.com. I've been very please with everything that I've purchased from them.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
My father and I will attend. I will be looking for a sunroof headliner and a pair of taillights
Old 04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
James Chimney

Garage
10 Day Weather Forecast for 17033 - weather.com
weather looks clear, not hot but only 20% rain
leaving at Noon
Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Breezy too. 15 to 25 mph.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: