Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 wont start anymore

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]i have a 1989 944 with a 83 engine. i replaced the battery and the alternator. after the alternator was fixed it ran like a beauty.

It had a small leak in the gas pump. i didn't do much to the fuel pump since i have no idea what I'm doing, just made sure hoses were tight and what not. the leak miraculously stopped and it was great for about two weeks.

when i would start the car it would take a Lil longer to turn over but it did. days later it would take longer and longer to turn over and i had to pump the gas in order for it to start, that's when my worries began.

The weird part is that out of nowhere on certain occasions the car would start right away which i thought was great but suspicious. just yesterday i drove the car for the first time in 2 days and the car started normally no excessive cranking or gas pumping. i got stuck at a light and suddenly my baby turned off on me but it wasn't a stall, i tried turning it on again and nothing.

ironically it left me stranded next to a mechanic shop so i pushed it in there for them to have a look at. i told them the story and they lifted the car with me in it so that i can crank it when they asked me to. i cranked it a couple times but the one that freaked me out was when i heard a loud SPLASH. the splash was my gas pump had squirted out a lot of gasoline. minutes later of them looking and not finding a solution, they told me to leave the car there and that they would take a look at it today.

they called me and said the car still doesn't start. im now sitting terrified without a clue of what's going to happen to my car. i need help guys anyone know what could be the problem?

PS: my car had 2 or 3 gallons of gas before it left me stranded, i believe all the gas is out of there right now since the car did squirt it out. so yeah just thought maybe it would be key to know. please great Porsche wizards i need help.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not alot of imfo here but you could have a bad fuel pump hose causing the gas to run out instead of going to the injectors and causing the pump to fail. when it ran dry. You might want to have your car towed to a shop that is familiar with 944 cars.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well the guy I took it to says that the pump is okay, he says the gas is injecting correctly. He even said "there was gas in the engine still so that shouldn't be the problem" hopefully I can find someone that specializes in 944's.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Rollin' in my 2.0

Garage
That sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Did you or the PO previous owner change the original '89 2.7 liter engine to the '83 2.5 liter?

There are many challenges for mechanics who work on 944s may not want to -----it gets to be a big can of worms. And big smiles when the bill is paid-$$$

The "small leak" in the fuel pump may have only been the crush washers, a simple fix or the top main seal under the outlet requiring a new pump. Fuel issues worry me--sparks fly...

GL
John
Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes the Previous owner made the switch from the 2.7 to the 2.5. He said that his son wrecked a 83 and the only thing that survived was the engine so he bought the 89 and made the swap. would the leak be the cause of the engine not starting?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Vacuum leaks can cause a lot of problems. There's several posts here of a quick and painless way to check. Insert a 2" PVC cap into the J boot (with the air cleaner box and AFM removed) and a big hose clamp. Thread an air quick disconnect nipple into it and apply 7 to 10 psi into it. With a spray bottle of soapy water solution spray the entire engine, i.e., throttle body, cannister next to battery, under the intake manifold where the temp sensor is, under the J boot is a t fitting, vacuum hoses that connect to the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure damper and any place where there's a vacuum line. When you see bubbles, that's a leak. I found three and one was the seals in the throttle body butterfly shaft. Once you fixed those, if the problem persists, check the vacuum line to the Fuel Pressure regulator and see if there's gasoline in it or smells like there is. If so, it needs replacement. See Clarks Garage about fuel pressure tests on the fuel rail. When you put the AFM back together make sure the connector is good. The car runs like crap if you forget to reconnect it like I did, duh@!

Last edited by mytrplseven; 03-19-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Pics of the vacuum fitting tester:
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys you are all great help. There is still hope in humanity i truly appreciate the input. Okay so I've had my car checked out and many have said that it "HAS to be a spark problem" But the guys who have looked at my car wont work on it because they dont know the root of the spark problem. They said theyve checked the obvious but nothing checks so they need a computer to make sure exactly what it is. Im trying to do this myself just because i get to work on it with my dad but if i have to, ill take it to the shop. What would be the origin of a spark failure?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
What would be the origin of a spark failure?

You just kicked over a big can of worms. Spark failure is a common question after "won't start". I got started here myself with my first posting with "won't start".

Check all of your grounds and connectors. At the rear of the engine, look at the two connectors that go to the two sensors mounted on the bell housing and make sure that these connectors are fully engaged. Be careful, the plastic is old and brittle and may crumble. One of these is the speed and the other is the reference sensor. The speed sensor picks up engine rotation. Once the DME (brain) registers 200 RPM during cranking it turns on the DME relay that supplies power to the fuel pump and spark. You may have a bad speed sensor, which could explain the intermittent hard starts.

Find your DME relay under the hood in the fuse box. It will have six electrical terminals. Jumper the three larger terminals together with wire and check to see if the fuel pump runs and leaks. If you still have the leak fix it first. Gas isn't cheap and you don't want to be driving around in a car pouring gas out, fire hazard.

This is rare but pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotors set screw is in place and holding the rotor in place.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: