Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
[QUOTE=911tracker85;9159864]where did you get them?

this is my current solution but like those better....

Ebay. Just look for 944 bell housing plugs. $11.99 from Canada.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3121 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MPitt
So my 951 blew a mystery hose 2 weeks ago. In an attempt to get the part number, all I have to go on is this:

After checking various parts websites and looking over the diagrams, I think I find the right hose. I order and wait an unusually long two weeks for it to finally come. Check them out and not sure if I get the right one after seeing them side by side:

I guess the old one may just be bloated from bursting so I continue and replace it. At some point while reaching over half of the engine bay, I knock my screw driver down below the brake fluid reservoir. I tried to fish it out with another tool and drop that too, yay:
Note the flashlight strap in the foreground. Guess what else dropped below the brake fluid reservoir after I fished out the yellow tool?

What feels like days later I finally have both flashlight and screwdriver back. Yellow tool falls back in. I cut my losses and continue.

I finally get the hose on both ends after taking it on and off figuring out that the hose clamps want to be on different sides this time around. The clamp closer to the firewall is a pain to tighten and decides it wants to partially strip while I'm doing gymnastics over the engine to get it in. I give up and sit on the engine while still contorting myself and my wrist trying to tighten this last hose clamp.

Finally everything is back on, and I go to reconnect the sensors. Also being 30 years old, one decides to deteriorate:

I'll save the joy of replacing the sensor another day.

Thanks for reading, feel like I had to get this written out before I go mad.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3122 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Red White and Blue

Drove to the Mountain!! Artist Point Washington in June!
1987 944
Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3123 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yundar View Post
Drove to the Mountain!! Artist Point Washington in June!
. . .and the Porsche Gods smiled.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 06-30-2016, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3124 (permalink)

Garage
I parked near a maraschino NA identical to mine at work - except it was brand new! It looked all original but in 100% perfect condition. Interior, dash, paint, everything looked like it had never been touched. I left a note saying I had the identical car.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3125 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPitt View Post
At some point while reaching over half of the engine bay, I knock my screw driver down below the brake fluid reservoir. I tried to fish it out with another tool and drop that too, yay:
Note the flashlight strap in the foreground. Guess what else dropped below the brake fluid reservoir after I fished out the yellow tool?

What feels like days later I finally have both flashlight and screwdriver back. Yellow tool falls back in. I cut my losses and continue.

The clamp closer to the firewall is a pain to tighten and decides it wants to partially strip while I'm doing gymnastics over the engine to get it in. I give up and sit on the engine while still contorting myself and my wrist trying to tighten this last hose clamp.

Finally everything is back on, and I go to reconnect the sensors. Also being 30 years old, one decides to deteriorate.

Okay, I'm writing this with a big smile on my face and empathy pouring out of, well, my whole self...

Been there, done that.

I know exactly what you went through and I've got the scars to prove it.

I would buy you a beer (and offer to help or, at the very least, share in your pain) were I closer.
1987 924s Garnet Red (with FIAMM air horns!)
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3126 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, that dash looks great, I'm impressed.

Resealed my power steering pump today, pretty easy job. She's all clean and ready to swap in the car.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3127 (permalink)

Cleaning up the arse-end...in primer so far. BC CC to follow.

Tried out a new 3M product for the bumper holes...supposed to help repair porous metals, resist moisture and oils...we shall see. If I get ghost outlines, I'll be off to an aluminum welder to fill them in properly.

So far so good...not bad for a weekend project. (ignore the messy garage fellas!)

Magnaflow 2 1/2" exhaust with K & N 4 inch custom intake
MaxHP chipped
Old 07-03-2016, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3128 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Finally everything is back on, and I go to reconnect the sensors. Also being 30 years old, one decides to deteriorate:
same thing happened to me twice, on the 944S and then the 951.

951 is up on the lift about to do full brake job. pull/inspect calipers, new flex lines, new rotors, going to pagid yellows.... have a little time as my next DE will not be until Sept.

take a little time out to go fishing....
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3129 (permalink)
One apex at a time

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPitt View Post

I'll save the joy of replacing the sensor another day.

I have had that happen. In a parking lot. I was snooping around trying to fireguard out why it would not start. Found the connectors in pieces. Did a parking lot "fix" with cold crimps to get home.

Lots of fun

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3130 (permalink)

Garage
Installed a 9tuning chip from the UK in my 87 NA. Smoothed out the rev range nicely. Revs climb much quicker. Much more even power. Does it feel like it has more power - not really. All in all well worth the 80 GBP including shipping.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3131 (permalink)

Garage
My box from Pelican finally arrived today after getting held up in Canadian customs through the holidays and 1 day before our postal strike (thank god!). I will pay a bit more next time to make sure the parts arrive with less stress.

Now I can finish the AOS seals, oil pressure switch and put the intake and everything back together and hope that it will run. Actually it better run well...with new vacuum hoses, cleaned and tested injectors, new throttle body seals, new throttle position sensor, new DME temperature sensor, new coolant hoses (including heater valve), new fuel lines, new to me fuel rail (thanks Plyhammer) and O2 sensor, it better run very very well.

Andrew
Project 560
1984 Porsche 944 (First Porsche ever)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3132 (permalink)
944 S2

Drove it with the big boys!

Old 07-07-2016, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3133 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
pulled the 924 out of the shop, cleaned it up a bit (the photo is before wash) and going to try and smog it tomorrow.

instagram @mhariush http://stores.ebay.com/Techniker-Parts/
Old 07-07-2016, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3134 (permalink)

Replaced the battery today. This is the third battery in three years – must be due to the reason that last two years the car did spend whole winter in repair shops and I doubt that they did recharge my battery during those 4 months (although I sked to do it and left the charger in the car). Did check whether there is excessive discharge and measure 0.02A (between the negative pole of the battery and the negative ground), which is not ideal, but not bad.
Will go to track day tomorrow.
Video from another recent event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LicqSktcQDM
Old 08-13-2016, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3135 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
Today I tested the compression for the first time since buying the car some 4.5 years ago. The results weren't stellar but acceptable: (from the front to back) 140 -- 150 --140 --145.

I also (finally) got around to chipping the blue 924s. Sad thing is, I don't remember where I got it although I'm sure it was online somewhere or exactly how long ago it was...

The toughest part was figuring out how to deal with the retaining clip on the cable going into the DME/ECU. I solved this with a look at the Workshop Manual (engine electrics). It was a simple push to the right.

Whoa! That's one 'woken up' engine sound!

Now I have to decide whether to track it or restore it.
1987 924s Garnet Red (with FIAMM air horns!)
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 08-13-2016, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3136 (permalink)

Took my 944 turbo again to the local race track. It is in Latvia’s capital city, thus its just 20 minutes’ drive from my home - it was built in 60ties, thus the concrete walls are quite close to the track and it is not forgiving - did set my personal best lap time and was the fastest car there Although that was youngtimer track day, thus my 951 was among the most powerful cars there. Did not have power steering as my power steering hose did blow two weeks ago during PCL event in Estonia, but it was fine on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7njWFm1qg_Q
Old 08-14-2016, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3137 (permalink)
Registered

Looks like a fun track.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3138 (permalink)

Garage
Today I was installing new carpet and my back seat. I really hate working with aftermarket shtuff . It never goes right in. The carpet came as 1 piece for the entire passenger floor instead of 3 like the factory carpet. Makes it very difficult to work with. The instructions say 5 or 6 hours to install. You have to be really good to do it that fast. I worked most of the whole day on it and still not done.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3139 (permalink)

Garage
Found my leaks!

Finally found out why my 944 fills up with water on the passenger side every time it rains. I took the seat and back carpets out and lifted the front carpet. Removed the glovebox and DME, turned the hose on the roof and sat inside with a torch...

It turns out the back is letting water in around the rear 1/4 window, which runs down to end up in the floor. The front - a small leak through a stray hole in the bulkhead above the battery box but mostly pouring in around the heater fan cover.

I've been busy with a tube of RTV today. As soon as the carpet and sound deadening has dried out I'll put it back together.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: