Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Patrick
 
pfarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plymouth MA
Posts: 1,695
Garage
Seven days, 360 miles, including a great run around the Quabbin Reservoir today, and no leaks or intermix!!!!!!!!
I guess I installed the oil cooler correctly...

__________________
1984 944 NA, constant tinkering

Last edited by pfarah; 11-24-2020 at 03:31 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3421 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!
 
Fast Freddy 944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 1,915
Garage
944? I think this ol boy needs to get to steppin' into the 911 forum. LOL!
__________________
Keep cool man..
Old 11-24-2020, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3422 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 176
Garage
Will we be losing you, Freddy? Did you get a 911? Also off topic: a parsec is a unit of distance, not time. Solo was talking about taking a risky shortcut, not bragging that his ship was fast

Patrick, great work on the cooler. I think your undercarriage is cleaner than most people's overcarriage!
__________________
1984 Porsche 944 (Project 1)
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Project 1.5)
1992 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (Project 2)
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-24-2020, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3423 (permalink)
Patrick
 
pfarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plymouth MA
Posts: 1,695
Garage
Thanks!!
__________________
1984 944 NA, constant tinkering
Old 11-24-2020, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3424 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!
 
Fast Freddy 944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 1,915
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLined View Post
Will we be losing you, Freddy? Did you get a 911? Also off topic: a parsec is a unit of distance, not time. Solo was talking about taking a risky shortcut, not bragging that his ship was fast

Patrick, great work on the cooler. I think your undercarriage is cleaner than most people's overcarriage!
Huh?

__________________
Keep cool man..
Old 11-25-2020, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3425 (permalink)
Patrick
 
pfarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plymouth MA
Posts: 1,695
Garage
Moving along with a couple small projects:

1. Installed a new DME connector cover (didn't know there was one until recently).




2. Headlight connector caps (another elusive part).


__________________
1984 944 NA, constant tinkering
Old 11-28-2020, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3426 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 266
Garage
I like that connector cover
__________________
1984 944 Zermatt Silver
Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3427 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 803
Just over a month ago…got the CV axles out:


Not exactly today…but a few days ago - got the CV joints apart (yukk!):


Cleaned up pretty nice though:


A gouged CV “spider” Hmmm…so maybe this was creating the sound which I’d earlier thought might be a wheel bearing?:


I could reassemble this joint and install it to reverse its rotation…thereby presenting fresher surfaces to the balls - but I don’t quite trust this here so I think I’ll just replace this joint. The others look fine so I’ll just re-lube and re-boot them.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3428 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!
 
Fast Freddy 944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 1,915
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
Just over a month ago…got the CV axles out:


Not exactly today…but a few days ago - got the CV joints apart (yukk!):


Cleaned up pretty nice though:


A gouged CV “spider” Hmmm…so maybe this was creating the sound which I’d earlier thought might be a wheel bearing?:


I could reassemble this joint and install it to reverse its rotation…thereby presenting fresher surfaces to the balls - but I don’t quite trust this here so I think I’ll just replace this joint. The others look fine so I’ll just re-lube and re-boot them.
I did mine a couple of years ago with some new ones, and yeup before replacement, they made a clunking sound, now its nice and quiet out back...
__________________
Keep cool man..
Old 12-04-2020, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3429 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!
 
Fast Freddy 944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 1,915
Garage
I still need to pull that dash off and see about those friggen dim lights. Winter project I reckon...
__________________
Keep cool man..
Old 12-04-2020, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3430 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 803
Fast Freddy...just pull the gauge cluster (steering wheel comes off first on my '87...then just a few screws after this - be really careful when detaching the harness clips from the rear of the cluster), then use nail polish remover to get rid of any "once reflective" residue on the bottom of the cluster.

A number of ways to go from this point...I've done two of these using wide, aluminized tape, cut to size and applied to replace the old reflective coating - and it works great, just make sure to cover the reflective (now clear plastic) surfaces thoroughly with the reflective tape...including folding over exposed edges.

You might also consider getting one of the LED gauge light upgrade kits - but these are not always dimmable in which case the cluster could be too distracting at night.

And how is your Odometer working? Just saying that now would be the time to replace that gear. I did one last fall and a real PIA getting the cluster back together without pinching wires...but worth it! If you do this, then by all means don't order a new gear without counting teeth on the old one!

Last edited by OK-944; 12-04-2020 at 09:07 AM..
Old 12-04-2020, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3431 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!
 
Fast Freddy 944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 1,915
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
Fast Freddy...just pull the gauge cluster (steering wheel comes off first on my '87...then just a few screws after this - be really careful when detaching the harness clips from the rear of the cluster), then use nail polish remover to get rid of any "once reflective" residue on the bottom of the cluster.

A number of ways to go from this point...I've done two of these using wide, aluminized tape, cut to size and applied to replace the old reflective coating - and it works great, just make sure to cover the reflective (now clear plastic) surfaces thoroughly with the reflective tape...including folding over exposed edges.

You might also consider getting one of the LED gauge light upgrade kits - but these are not always dimmable in which case the cluster could be too distracting at night.

And how is your Odometer working? Just saying that now would be the time to replace that gear. I did one last fall and a real PIA getting the cluster back together without pinching wires...but worth it! If you do this, then by all means don't order a new gear without counting teeth on the old one!
Ok ill give it a whirl. ODO? Its at around 40,000 miles. it seems to be ok, ill check that item out also. My biggest fear when pulling off something, is finding a whole bucket of worms when open something up. But it has to be done. I have to drive at night with the map light on. LOL!
__________________
Keep cool man..
Old 12-05-2020, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3432 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 803
Freddie...if your 40K miles is known to be true, and if your ODO seems OK - then you might want to hold off on replacing the ODO gear and just do the "reflector fix" and possible light upgrade for now.

I say this because while removing the gauge cluster, cleaning and refreshing the reflective surface, and possibly upgrading the gauge lights, are all relatively easy...the pulling apart of the (speedo/Odo) to replace the gear is a much more delicate, precise, and risky operation. In other words, this is not the typical "while you are in there" scenario, at least IMHO.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3433 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 176
Garage
Be thankful you don't have to crack open an early gauge! Unless you'd enjoy needle-prying hundreds of times around the edge of the trim ring... and that's before messing with that teeny speedo gear.
__________________
1984 Porsche 944 (Project 1)
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Project 1.5)
1992 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (Project 2)
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 12-05-2020, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3434 (permalink)
Patrick
 
pfarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plymouth MA
Posts: 1,695
Garage
Idea: How about locating or designing the different bezel die's for our gauges so they can be pressed in like the factory did... Any machinists out there that would be interested in creating them?
__________________
1984 944 NA, constant tinkering
Old 12-05-2020, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3435 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 176
Garage
I was thinking similarly while working on my gauge: ... I wonder what they did with all the old tooling for these cars? How many Pelicaners would I need to get a group buy type thing going??? Do they lend them out? How much are flights to Germany? Do I need a mask at the Nurburgring, in addition to the helmet?? Sorry, a few stops too far on the train-of-thought
__________________
1984 Porsche 944 (Project 1)
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Project 1.5)
1992 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (Project 2)
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 12-05-2020, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3436 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 266
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLined View Post
Be thankful you don't have to crack open an early gauge! Unless you'd enjoy needle-prying hundreds of times around the edge of the trim ring... and that's before messing with that teeny speedo gear.
Did you work on your speedo gear or your odometer gear?
__________________
1984 944 Zermatt Silver
Old 12-05-2020, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3437 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 176
Garage
Yep. This guy was my YT-mentor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIGVe96yzN4

edit: sorry, reading comprehension... I replaced the odometer gear. Mine had broken; trip reset button was pushed in motion.
__________________
1984 Porsche 944 (Project 1)
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Project 1.5)
1992 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (Project 2)
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP

Last edited by SilverLined; 12-05-2020 at 05:21 PM..
Old 12-05-2020, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3438 (permalink)
Registered
 
Ernie944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Caraquet N.B Canada
Posts: 447
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLined View Post
Yep. This guy was my YT-mentor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIGVe96yzN4

(Make sure to turn on your subtitles!)
Did the same using the same higth techtool when I decided to go with flat face lens instead of the cone on.Had to the three gauges ,nerves recking job if there is one, trying to remove them bezels without bending them like pretzels.Patience was a must let me tell you.Flat face once install.
__________________
Caraquet,N.B. Canada.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3439 (permalink)
Registered
 
Racerbvd's Avatar
Did a Christmas parade.





__________________
Byron

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 12-05-2020, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3440 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:16 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.