Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
Don't have passengers often?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

It looks like it would touch your legs, but it doesnt. You can even moves the seat without any issues. Put it on your to-buy list Gawernater, we dont want your pretty car burning up.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
*knock on wood*
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)
77 924..clinton twp. mi.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKS View Post
+1 on using the OEM Bosch plugs.

Put on some some more Rennline goodies, not shown are the Rennline steel lug nuts:

i want one......

Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
Between the terribly cracked hoses on the prior page and the fire extinguisher on this page, I /really/ am going to go replace all my fuel lines O_O
Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)

Garage
A couple of years ago i had a friend knock this together for me. worked well, seat has full range of motion. I'm going to move the extinguisher to another spot though.

The other weekend I did a hatch swap. my mate kept the 968 rear spoiler when he sold the car to me. I told him he should have kept the whole hatch for the mounting points but he thought he could just make it work on his 952 hatch- nup!

my hatch went on the 968, 968 hatch went on mine, drove to mates work, 968 hatch off until it gets tinted for my mates 952, then his 952 hatch onto my car. so now i have a tinted rear hatch and a high stop light. I put the 968 gas struts on too which seem to be a bit stronger than mine. He didnt tell me he had a loose rear wiper motor. the pins that hold it into the frame were a makeshift fix and didn't fit properly. the thing rattled so much that yesterday I swapped in the one from my old hatch on the parts car. huge improvement.

i was quite annoyed because just before the hatch swap I had replaced my pin bushings with greenwaters ones.

Last edited by J1NX3D; 07-28-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 04:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
This weekend -

Throttle body reseal (kit)
AOS O ring replacement
Reverse flushed fuel injectors (me blowing into the tube , son giving it the 12v pulse)

& a damn good cleanup of 27 years accumulated grunge!

There really are a lot of hoses under that manifold , no wonder they hid it under there, I'd be embarrassed if I had designed it like that.

The car does run a bit better and it's always nice to tick off some long term time consuming jobs. A good way to spend a cold , windy wet day. Unlike some lucky others , I have to work outside. In the evening by moonlight I went and cut some firewood to warm up...
"They run best being run close to the ‘limit’ and done so regularly" - Grady
Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)

chased a short in the left parking,side markers.turned out to be shorted wire to the engine compartment light.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)

Garage
I also did a bit of injector back flushing.

Used one of those plant sprayer pumps to provide pressure, connected to the injector by a piece of surgical hose and some ty-straps. The 8 millisecond pulse is generated by a circuit involving 555 timers (as you can see it's still on a protoboard). And finally the voltage is supplied by an old computer power supply that I dug out of an electronics recycling bin a while ago. (after some fiddling, it now puts out 5v at 15A, 12v at 13A, and 3.3v at 12A)

I actually did get a bit of debris out of the injector screens.

Injector Cleaning

Last edited by Volhv; 07-29-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Picture too big, added hyperlink instead.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)

Garage
Lol very busy today,first a car show then a gathering. First pics are at the car show where my buddy (yellow shirt) sold his 70 OEM Sting Ray (green cab got $32K for it ) sitting beside it is a frame up restoration being done by a friend of ours of the same (70 Sting Ray).Also present was a 70 Row 911 with a Cobra Repro as neighbour on one side & the other a frame up resto 1956 Ford Crown Victoria just bougth for $46K in PEI, car is being trailered way up to Sudbury Ont.Gathering less cars but still fun my favorite was this red 1931 350 Chevy, lol not much sensors on that one.

Hope you guys did enjoy.
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
Very cool
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)

Garage
Changed spark plugs, filled engine with oil, and filled cooling system.

I also bought these!

They are the 15". I currently have 16" phonedials installed.
If I understand correctly 215/60 all around? Despite the front being 7" and back being 8" wide.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Correct, that's what Porsche put on originally.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)
85.5 944

215-60 is what I have on mine. Street Performance tires in this size are getting harder to find.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #354 (permalink)
Sanity Seriously in Doubt

Garage
Wrong time of year for this, its the beginning of August (another 3 weeks and the snow will be flying!) and my steering rack is lying on the garage floor. Messy, sticky, greasy yuk job, but at least I caught it before it totally @#$%ed my bushings and things. Clarke's writeup was great as always (thank you), the only thing I didn't do was remove the sway bar, I just removed where it mounts to the brackets and a good right-hand swack with a hammer popped the ball-joints loose. Tomorrow the old one gets cleaned and mailed, the new one will be offered up to the car.

Wish me luck...
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #355 (permalink)

Garage
Great, thanks. I'll have to get some tires soon.

Today I fiddled with the exhaust system. Could not get it to fit right.

The PO hacked up some sort of brutal exhaust. A bent resonator where the cat should be, and a garbage can sized muffler (if you can even call it that) in the back.
The welds are quite painful indeed. The whole system looks like it was put together from spare chunks of pipe, that zig-zag their way all the way down the car.
I got an exhaust from a parts car a few month ago. From the manifold back. All I need is a new muffler, and tip. Any suggestions? Is the Bosal cat back any good?
How about just a muffler recommendation? Anyways.... The new (to me and my car) pipe, did not quite fit. The flange aft of the cat was hitting the heat shield underneath the toque tube, so I did some slight bending.
It does not have the original cat, so I assume it was fitted for the original car, whose motor mounts were probably in different shape than mine. That's the only thing I can think of..... WOW, that's a load of rambling... I need sleep...
Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #356 (permalink)

Garage
swapped passenger door switch with one from my parts car. my drivers side one had fallen apart ages ago and i replaced that with a new one and my passenger one looked fine but it was shorting. now my interior lights work and my car alarm senses the doors are all closed and the alarm courtesy light works.

replaced my passengers carpet in the foot well where the bonnet release is. if you dont know the RHD cars still have the catch on the left.

at the same time, i fixed the bonnet catch housing with more pieces from my parts car. my alarm installer broke the piece that covers the hinge for the handle.

Also topped up oil, coolant, power steering, cleaned interior, etc.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #357 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=Volhv;6892725]
I got an exhaust from a parts car a few month ago. From the manifold back. All I need is a new muffler, and tip. Any suggestions? Is the Bosal cat back any good?
How about just a muffler recommendation?
The Bosal cat back at Auto Parts, Auto Part - Buy Auto Parts Online should do the job & won't break your piggy bank.Unless you can find an OEM muffler in good shape.I believe (autopartsways )will ship at no cost for all parts over $100.00.
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 08-04-2012, 03:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #358 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
[QUOTE=ernie9944;6892874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volhv View Post
How about just a muffler recommendation?
The Bosal cat back at Auto Parts, Auto Part - Buy Auto Parts Online should do the job & won't break your piggy bank.Unless you can find an OEM muffler in good shape.I believe (autopartsways )will ship at no cost for all parts over $100.00.
We exiles in Canuckastan (a reference to the dearth of online options) can purchase exhaust options here: HottExhaust-Magnaflow Exhaust Solutions "Shipping to Canada is Free after all, we have maintained our own warehouse in Canada (Woodbridge, Ontario) since 1992."
I replaced my catalytic converter in my '87 (with bung) for $77 Cdn.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #359 (permalink)

Garage
Based on your suggestion Ernie, I have used "auto parts way" before. Thanks, great site. They have decent prices, and common items are readily available. Most us sellers, will not ship to Canada. And if they do, the shipping costs an arm and a leg. I get a lot of stuff from pelican, and get it shipped in the states. It's only a 20 minute drive to the border.

I'll also be checking out that magnaflow site, maybe I can find a stainless muffler/tip combo that will work. The oval OEM style tips aren't easy to find.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #360 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: