Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
AFM #725

Garage
That looks pretty neat
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1361 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
The other day I decided to make my own stone guards out of heavy duty 'carbon fibre' effect vinyl.
they look pretty damn good! did you have a pattern to work from or did you go off your old ones?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1362 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
^^ No pattern other than what I made myself. Before I removed the old tatty and aged guards I took some paper and attached it over the guard piece with masking tape. Then I used a soft pencil and rubbed it over the paper to get the outline etched out. Then I drew out the shape and cut around it. Checked it against the car and adjusted where necessary. You only have to do one side, as the other is a mirror copy. Takes about 10 to 20 mins.

Then use these paper templates to cut out the vinyl. Unroll the vinyl and cut a piece off to fit the guard pieces, tape this down to a board to stop it rolling up. Carefully tape the template down using masking tape at the edges. Dont worry if you have to cut through the tape. Then use scissors rather than a craft knife to cut around the template as this method is more controllable.

Wait for a warm dry day, then clean off all traces of the old guard and wax, etc. with spirit, locate the guard piece in the right place and attach with masking tape. Start to remove the backing very carefully, checking alignment all the time and smoothing out with a plastic scraper (credit card) or soft cloth...job done! Stand back and admire your work!
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1363 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ederd View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwQHaUohntc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sorry to those offended by my use of profanity.
I had the same thing happen to my S2. It sounded pretty cool in a tunnel.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1364 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
For Rasta Monsta:
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1365 (permalink)

Garage
I attempted to fill up my car with some genuine Porsche antifreeze, but I didn't realize until I was done that I had forgotten to put the drain plug for the block back in

I noticed that the genuine Porsche coolant doesn't say it's phosphate free. Is it still safe to use?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1366 (permalink)

Andrew Gawers' Dad

Yes it's safe to use.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1367 (permalink)

Garage
Busted a hole in my radiator.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1368 (permalink)
85.5 944

Replaced the voltage regulator and loaded up for a weekend at Mid Ohio.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1369 (permalink)
Triple T

Garage
Disconnected fuel lines, replaced headlight rods with new shiny ones! Went through parts bin and located useable parts. Removed radiator, and found out that it is a new one! I have 2 spare rads for sale now!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1370 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Quote:
Busted a hole in my radiator.
How?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1371 (permalink)

Garage
Not too sure..... I think I bashed it while removing the waterpump.
Waterpump is leaking so I will reseal it, this time hylomar will be used.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1372 (permalink)

Today, driving B&B #3 at a Hooked on Driving event.

Tomorrow The Dark Side..

Then Sunday Heroes on Track...

With any luck, the only things I will do the the car is change the rims, add gas & check the oil before I load her up and head home to Florida

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1373 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
Smile She's back on the road!!

Big day today...took the 944 out for its first drive in about 4 years. Had an official MOT test appointment. Man, it was good to get behind the wheel again and actually DRIVE the car rather than restore it. I think she will need a few hundred miles to 'shake down' and get the mechanicals bedded in as she was feeling a bit vague in the brake department...but everything has been replaced, so that is to be expected.

The MOT guy was very complimentary about the quality of the restoration work and couldnt find anything to fail her on apart from the emissions. CO2 readings were too high. We looked for air leaks, there were none (brake cleaner sprayed around), we checked for vacuum leaks - none either...we wound the AFM mixture screw practically fully out...the values would not come down!

So, just as I was about to give up and take her home I suggested that as she had been standing and had only a short run to the workshop, perhaps all she needed was to 'clear her throat' by a good revving. So, for about 5 mins I took her up to 5500 revs and back down, etc. Then, we wound the AFM screw fully down and then out halfway. Put the probe back on and....spot on values:

Fail - 5.589% (pass value <= 3.5%)
Pass - 1.267%...!! Really good with 96ppm Hydrocarbon (pass value <= 1200)

So, here are a few photos of her at the workshop (proof that she is all back together):

Tomorrow I can get the vehicle tax disc (required in the UK) and she is fully legal. It has been a long road and I thank everyone on the forum for the wealth of good info that has helped me so far!!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1374 (permalink)

Garage
Rhett,

Amazing work, I wish I had your skills..... you will be loving it even more once you start driving it more.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1375 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Rhett, car looks amazing, good job!

Today I got my ass kicked by only944's short shifter install. First the 13/17mm wouldn't come out, then I couldn't get it in. Took two hours, but its done. Haven't drove it yet, still pissed off. Ahaha.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1376 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKS View Post
Rhett, car looks amazing, good job!

Today I got my ass kicked by only944's short shifter install. First the 13/17mm wouldn't come out, then I couldn't get it in. Took two hours, but its done. Haven't drove it yet, still pissed off. Ahaha.
Rhett, HOLY ****. 10/10 envy. Lol Chris, took me 30 minutes, SO EASY.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1377 (permalink)

Garage
I fought with my timing belt some more, installed my fuel rail/fuel lines, bolted on the front cam gear cover, put the cap and rotor on, screwed in my sparkplugs, routed the spark plug wires, replaced my NA-Tune with an AFM/stock chip, installed the jboot/related vacuum lines, charged the battery, and discovered I have a coolant leak from one of my brand new radiator hoses

Plans for tomorrow: install the cooling fans, bolt on the starter, fill the power steering reservoir, take it off of the jack stands, triple check everything, then start it! If everything goes well I'll install my timing belt covers, reinstall my MAF/chip, and pray nothing else goes wrong for a long time...

Wish me luck!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1378 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
Drove it...loved it! Then drove it some more..!!

Then put the CD player in...just to fill the hole in the dash. I don't want to use it yet as I like the 16V engine note...
Old 05-04-2013, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1379 (permalink)

Garage
rhett, did you really clean your original parts and repaint them?? Looks like all brand new stuff. Awesome job. I would be affraid to drive it.
my toys
Old 05-04-2013, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1380 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: