Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1983 944 N/A

Garage
I finally was able to get the passenger side outer door handle on and the radio fully installed. Took the door panels off which in the 1983 makes it so you can get the door handle linkage on from the inside of the door!
Then I decided to clean her up a little bit.

Went from this

To this!!!!

And yes I have new seats to replace the ripped up set that's in the car now.

Dr. F. Porsche Stuttgart
Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1441 (permalink)

re what did you do to your car today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post

Love the Fuch wheels in the previous post
Slapping belts and metallic pinging sounds get your attention real quick... Retentioning is a must after new belts/break in time.. The spring tensioner from the 87 924s makes it a non issue for new belts if you have that but if not you gotta re-check the tension after a couple or three hundred miles..

Thanks for the comments on the fuch's.. I agree!

Gonna be hard to get the rest of the car to look that good

For the name sake of this thread I just drove it from here to there and back.. Took some time to look at the wheels in low evening light with highlights from the overhead lighting at the gas station.. If they could speak, I imagine them sounding like Duke nukem talking to himself in the mirror... Damn, I'm looking good..
Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1442 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPS 83 944 View Post
I finally was able to get the passenger side outer door handle on and the radio fully installed. Took the door panels off which in the 1983 makes it so you can get the door handle linkage on from the inside of the door!
Then I decided to clean her up a little bit. And yes I have new seats to replace the ripped up set that's in the car now.
I remember having to change my broken door handles in my 83.. what a pain.. I used I think audi or vw crome door handles and internals with new pop rivits and the 944 bent metal bars and plastic linkage.

The old seats splitting at the seams is common, they are still real comfortable with those splits between the center and bulster. What you gonna put in there?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1443 (permalink)
1983 944 N/A

Garage
I have these ready to go in. Front is leather and also new to me script door panels( panels will be re-done next week to match the seats) I just have to find a nice rug to replace the worn out brown that's in there now

Dr. F. Porsche Stuttgart

Last edited by POPS 83 944; 05-26-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1444 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
Using DupliColor vinyl & fabric paint, I changed a used set of mats from burgundy to black.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1445 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
Realised that I couldn't put off replacing the leaky rad as I was 'in there' at the front of the engine doing the belt retension, etc. So, as I had a spare rad that looked in good condition from a parts car, I did a pressure check and was pleasantly surprised to see it didnt leak. Drained the system, uncoupled the hoses, took out the old and in with the new(ish)...Then the fun begins in getting all the air out of the system. However, its all done and it looks like I have no leaks...chalk another item off the list - what's next?
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1446 (permalink)

Toofah King Bad

Garage
Took it to the racetrack and gave it a right proper flogging.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1447 (permalink)
85.5 944

Bled the brakes, changed the oil and finished cleaning up the rear control arms after the wheel bearing replacement. All ready now for 944Fest.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1448 (permalink)

Garage
Pulled the transmission on my S parts car (yesterday.) Had to take out the trans mount support beam too, is that normal?

instagram @mhariush @technikercompany
http://stores.ebay.com/Techniker-Parts/
Old 05-27-2013, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1449 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhariush View Post
Pulled the transmission on my S parts car (yesterday.) Had to take out the trans mount support beam too, is that normal?
Normal...? I don't think many things are 'normal' on these cars . What you end up having to do is find the easiest way you can. I think it is easier to remove the transmission with the support as trying to get those bolts undone at the top can be a right job! Then, when it is lowered you can simply remove them with lots of access, etc. Each to his own
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1450 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Drained the brake and clutch fluid, painted the calipers and shields red, painted the rear shields white because I ran out of red paint lol. Installed rebuilt caliper piston assemblies. Installed stainless steel brake lines. Installed Mintex brake pads and Zimmerman coated rotors. Replaced the blue clutch hydraulic hose. What a *****!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1451 (permalink)
another round please

Just drove the 944 up to Chicago to plant some Memorial Day flowers. Ran really well, but it's the first time it's seen any rain for 5 years. And did the rain come down, going to and from. These sticky Dunlops and NOT rain tires. I got 29.6 MPG overall, so pleased with that since gas in Chicago was running $4.27.gal. Overall, it ran like a top, but these bones are getting to old for this young car.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1452 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Drained the brake and clutch fluid, painted the calipers and shields red, painted the rear shields white because I ran out of red paint lol. Installed rebuilt caliper piston assemblies. Installed stainless steel brake lines. Installed Mintex brake pads and Zimmerman coated rotors. Replaced the blue clutch hydraulic hose. What a *****!!!

Whoa! Me too. Some of that anyways.....
Painted and rebuilt rear calipers.... installed than partially bled.
Found the cooling fan switch to be leaking on the used turbo rad I just installed, so I replaced it since I had a new spare. Luckily enough I bought a 30mm deep socket just hours earlier. Need it for the axle nut on my Jetta.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1453 (permalink)

Garage
I'm too cheap to pay for a tow, so drove my car 6 miles to a shop with open headers to get the exhaust welded together. I had a friend follow me so he could give me a ride home after I dropped it off and he said he couldn't hear his radio over the awesome loud sounds my car made. The temperature gauge stayed at the first white line on the drive there, I had a consistent 4ish bar of oil pressure while cruising, and most importantly it was loud as hell

While it sat in my driveway idling so I could move cars and put it back in the garage the temp gauge climbed to the last white line, so I guess I still have some air in there... On the plus side my oil pressure was at 2.5ish bar so at least my oil cooler housing is aligned correctly.

Just need to do some bodywork, clean up the interior, paint it, refresh the suspension, and it'll be done and I can sell my evil VW!!!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1454 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Found some leaking PS fluid today. Yay. Since I'm still missing a fender, I don't care.. lol!
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1455 (permalink)
84 944

I learned how to hotwire my car last night - all thanks to the ignition switch going out. Good times.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1456 (permalink)

Garage
let me know if you're in the market for an ignition switch, i have one from an 87 parts car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutless_neo View Post
I learned how to hotwire my car last night - all thanks to the ignition switch going out. Good times.

instagram @mhariush @technikercompany
http://stores.ebay.com/Techniker-Parts/
Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1457 (permalink)
84 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhariush View Post
let me know if you're in the market for an ignition switch, i have one from an 87 parts car.
I need the whole assembly. I totally tore up my tumbler and who knows what else. I had to cut the wires on the plug in order to hotwire the car, so I'll need one of those too. How much you want for it all?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1458 (permalink)

Garage
Just installed kyle's short shift linkage... this thing is amazing 30% reduction means you just flick your wrist to select a gear not your whole arm.

I drove the car on both normal and 30% reduction and its tightened up the gear stick in the cab so much shifting into a gear feel like new.

Did forget to put the rubber boot back on but it was all tatty anyway.

Old linkage.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1459 (permalink)

re: What did you do to your porsche today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie944S View Post
Just installed kyle's short shift linkage... this thing is amazing
the short shift kit you got there looks good... Just be sure/certain that your shifter arm/bar and bushings at the helm are in good condition.. There is alot of slop/shifting problems assciated with worn out shifter lever posts/linkage and c-clip rentention of those parts to the linkage bar going back to the transaxle... I remember being on the side of the road one night with a friend, trying to figure out why my 44 wouldn't shift into gear. The side post for the shift lever/linkage area was so worn out that the c-clip and washer just fell off the linkage for the shift bar and shift lever.. Luck had my side, I found the washer and cir-clip and installed them back onto the shift lever and made my way back to drop off my friend and then home again.. later ordered a new shift lever washer/c-clip and problem solved.// the short shift kit reminds me of tech that the old scat t-handle shifter kit I got for my vw type 1.... change the leverage/fulcrum a bit.. takes more input in a shorter distance to get the gear but saves time on shifting..
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1460 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: