Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Awesome adjustable voltage regulator kit

Was online a few weeks ago and came across this website for a Volvo guru who sells the adjustable voltage regulator for the BOSCH alternators..I do not know him or trying to sell you his products, I bought one of his products and found it to work very well and here is what I did:

Volvo Adjustable Voltage Regulators

He has 2 styles of adjustable voltage regulators..external and internal..I bought both and installed the external adjustable regulator..as the tiny screw to adjust the voltage wouldn't be in an easy location for adjustment, it's only a 1 time adjustment but once you put the cooling cover back on the alternator it would be a pain to get back into it..

external kit:

internal adjustable regulator (just like what we have now)

So basically I got to the backside of the alternator..WARNING !!! I am not a mechanic, and don't claim to be and you do this at your own risk..but for God's Sake please disconnect the battery FIRST !!!!!!

I removed the standard BOSCH regulator from the back of the alternator, while I was in there..got my dremel tool out and polished up the wire connectors as well.
Next, install the brush assembly into the place where you removed the original regulator, plug in the connector to the back of brush assembly..Now you may be thinking, how did he get the wiring harness out of the cooling cover? What I did was, took my dremel with a cut off wheel and just made a notch in the side of the cover on the sealing side towards alternator and made it deep enough so that regulator harness just fits flush with the sides of the cover and doesn't get smashed when you tighten the cover back down..and I made the notch inbetween the 2 easiest nuts to get to on the cooling cover and more towards the lower one, you'll see that there is a small black part on the back of the alternator, so just clear that..

found a nice location to mount the external regulator was the small piece of metal just behind the air cleaner that sticks off the brackett

Before mounting the regulator to the brackett plug in the other end of the harness to the regulator .. So just to do a check on the regulator and make some adjustments I didn't reinstall the back cover of the alternator until I first tested it out..connectd back up the air flow meter and a couple of the air cleaner screws, and connected the battery..NOW, make sure you have a volt meter and your multi meter ready and hook up to the battery posts..you want the voltage reading from the battery not the instrument in the dash...

It started right up and my initial reading on volt meter was 13.8 (probably pre set at that voltage)..I turned the adjustment screw just a hair and it went 14.0, turned a little more to 14.2 then 14.3 and settled on 14.4--probably not wise to go any higher

I tell you my car has never run better..I couldn't believe how great the car idled, very smooth..no idle hunting..So the real test was is turning on the headlights, front euro fog lights, front spoiler foglights and my new 800 watt amp and subs..take a look at this....it held it at 14.3 volts....

the old BOSCH regulator will only give you about 13.5-13.8 volts max, and with all the new electric stuff I added it really bogged the engine down with the alternator running all the time as well...

This thing is freakin amazing....check out the guys website and read his stuff about the adjustable regulator..there is a lot more to read....I am impressed !!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
1983 944 N/A

Garage
Look like it works good. Please keep us updated on the product.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Finally the juice my car needed...workin good so far

Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I found this thread looking for a solution to my low voltage problem, and I'm pretty glad I did! I just ordered the internal one because I've taken enough stuff out of my engine bay that it isn't a problem haha. Looking forward to bright lights again, thanks!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

so how is it holding up now that it's been a couple more months of use?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Curious if youre still satisfied... I'm seriously thinking about adding a second amp to my set up.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have one on the car now and its awesome, its worth every penny or pound or whatever your perfered currency is.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie944S View Post
I have one on the car now and its awesome, its worth every penny or pound or whatever your perfered currency is.
Deutsche mark
2001 Saab 9-3SE Turbo Cabriolet
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
Sorry Gaw..the DM is all dead and gone now..Germany adpoted the Euro!

This product looks like it has merit, I will have to search it out (or something similar) in the UK!
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Too Many Porsches

Garage
Quote:
...with all the new electric stuff I added it really bogged the engine down with the alternator running all the time as well...
Quote:
...I'm seriously thinking about adding a second amp to my set up.
Don't forget guys this will only control voltage output not current. While it is good to get the voltage to around 14.5v it will not give you a huge increase in current available (amps). If you start adding other big current drawing devices in the car your best bet is a high output alternator. There are a number of places selling these, search "bnrparts" on eBay (no affiliation). They supply various upgrades 215A, 250A, etc. You might also want to upgrade your battery and alternator cables at the same time and up the Ah on your battery to match.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
Don't forget guys this will only control voltage output not current. While it is good to get the voltage to around 14.5v it will not give you a huge increase in current available (amps). If you start adding other big current drawing devices in the car your best bet is a high output alternator. There are a number of places selling these, search "bnrparts" on eBay (no affiliation). They supply various upgrades 215A, 250A, etc. You might also want to upgrade your battery and alternator cables at the same time and up the Ah on your battery to match.
I really do not know anything about this subject at all but would like to add:
I was doing a head gasket and a never ending list of while you are in there stuff. I had removed my alternator and was going to rebuild it when I came across this thread or one very much like it. Well time got away from me and I decided to take my alternator to a local guy with a good reputation for a rebuild while I was concentrating on other stuff. So when I tell my local guy that I want to install this adjustable unit he tells me that it is a waste of time and money. That the only way to increase is to change to a higher output alternator.

But everyone who has ever tried this swears by it, what gives?

Last edited by kfanazini; 03-14-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

You can get more watts out of the same alternator by raising the voltage, but this can be hard on the battery and other electrics. A modest rise is probably no big deal. If your alternator is weak however it might be the diodes and not a lazy voltage regulator.

What do you need more wattage for? Big system? Heated seats?

Running higher voltage, at some point you would just be burning gasoline to toast your battery.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
For me it was the fact that it was a quick fix while I look for a place to revamp my alternator. Now that I've done it I'm impressed and not so worried about getting the alternator refreshed. I also noticed that my electrics work better guages are indicating true, switches work straight away. So for those who can afford to get a better alternator or revamp there old one good on ya. For others who are looking for a little wiggle room before doing such a thing I say crack on, for the rest enjoy 12.3volts..... Just say'n
Old 03-15-2013, 03:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
Why would your gauges work better?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
I have no idea.... I'm not a scientists..... haha.... but yeah no idea they do, fuel gauge reads true for example... never did been when I got a new sender.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
# even
Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
Hmm.. I fixed my fuel gauge by taking apart the instrument cluster and cleaning everything
Old 03-16-2013, 02:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Too Many Porsches

Garage
Quote:
Probably because they are getting the 12v they were designed to work with. I think this mod works because our wiring is old and drops a lot of voltage on its way to gauges, etc. After upping the voltage output of the alternator to 14v+ you now get 12v at the guages after voltage drop through the wires, before it might have only been lower than 12v. Just a theory.

Even new wiring drops voltage, our 20yr old wiring is likely oxidized and that means higher resistance which leads to more voltage drop.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:18 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I like the looks of this cheap little mod for more voltage:

Regulator Upgrade

With all these mods I would be concerned about the voltage the battery sees after it's recharged, and I do not think the cars are going to run better or be faster with more voltage.
There are easier ways to boil an $80 battery with $4 a gallon gasoline.

Also if your voltage and charge are low, and maybe your battery is draining, you might have bad diodes in which case it makes a lot more sense to fix that. < /lecture >

I am tempted to try one of the alternator swaps. I have a couple spare Bosch alternators but I really like the little Denso alternators. I pulled one out of my 4runner at 180K miles (replacing for preventative maintenance) and it is like half worn. I bought a used 60K mile unit to refresh and install and there was nothing worn enough to replace, so it went straight in.

-Joel.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
I have been around custom alternator setups for 20+ years having dealt with high end audio.....
This is a nice little piece, but as previously warned running the voltage too high can cook the battery and electronics.
Having said that, having the car charge at 14-14.5 is ideal imo.
Lights will be brighter, etc....
I prefer to run an aftermarket digital voltage guage directly off the battery as the stock dash gauge in the 944 always seem to read slightly less then actual.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: